rover k series!!!! - gasoil
Just how bad is this unit? is there a way of avoiding head gasket failure? any opinions welcome even positive ones! the car is a rover 45, 49000mls HGF and it has run the crank also!

thanks in advance.
rover k series!!!! - Big Cat
The K series has a very small coolant capacity, so any minor leak that most other engines might tolerate, the K doesn't. My understanding from a Rover mechanic I know is that the problems were solved by redesigning the head gasket, modifying the water heated inlet manifold gaskets and also fitting metal instead of plastic cylinder head alignment dowels. I believe these changes were made about 2000/2001.

So hopefully this is a one-off!
rover k series!!!! - gasoil
dont think it is a one off as i have heard many people in the trade bad mouth these engines.
rover k series!!!! - Civic8
The modified version wasnt realy a cure. From what I have seen so far depending on. Whether it was a head problem/rather than H/G. Both not cheap to repair. overheating may not only cause H/G failure but also distortion of block surface. Or contact area of h/g to block. I dont actually recall anyone mention this
I did raise the point with rovers.But they said it cannot happen.Apart from keeping to service intervals ie change oil and filter on time. keep a strict eye on water levels. and make sure anti freeze is changed on time at least..That is all you really can do..It isnt uncommon for H/G failure for a second time. But as long as you follow servicing rules you have done your best..Cant do more than that
--
Steve