Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - tyre tread
I believe all motorist should be aware of the DVLA CONSULTATION ON FEE PROPOSALS Annex B Partial Regulatory Impact Assessment

This may be boring but you should read this as it outlines proposed changes in the way revenue is raised and in particular additional new fees that will apply for example to register a change of keeper and even an annual fee of bewteen £2.50 and £4.50 for every vehicle owned irrespective of whether it is on the road or not!

Check out www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consult/driver_fee/df_annex...m

Particularly point 21!

Bear in mind that once any of these fees are introduced they will soon be just another acceptable fee to be paid annually and no doubt will be increased year upon year.

There was an article in this months Practical Classics and the FHBVC have already started a petition (which I signed at the Classic Motorshow today) but this will affect ALL vehicle owners so we need to start telling the government right now that we are not prepared to pay even more stealth taxes on our motoring related activities.

Comments?

Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - Stuartli
It's a little while now since this was first made known but, as the motoring organisations and similar bodies have pointed out, a small fee at the start would very quickly rise to a much more substantial one.

There seem no limits to the tax raising manoeuvring of this devious government. There's an old joke that there's only one thing it couldn't tax, but I'd take a half-serious bet that it would probably do so based on the population's average number of times weekly - or weakly as the case may be.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - Doc
This is another attempt to introduce 'Tax on Possession' which was sucessfully quashed last time round by effective lobbying.

We should all be aware that if introduced, it would mean that all museums and private collections would be liable for the annual charge.

Even your long-term rebuild, stored in a thousand pieces at the back of the garage, would be taxable!

Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - Doc
Note that: Option 4, in the table (annual fee) is the one preferred by DVLA "because it is administratively simpler, reduces costs, provides easier service for the customers and secures all of the policy benefits sought."

Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - Schnitzel
That figures....Last year when I renewed my insurance, I read the exceptions which included a variety of new situations, things like civil war, civil disobedience, coup, etc..

This year there is another list of new exceptions which are things like loss of vehicle through nationalisation of property, confiscation by government etc,,,,

Looks like the risk assessors are twigging that we are currently heading for a Neo-Marxist totalitarian state. Thanks for the warning Mr Orwell!
Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - Alyn Beattie
I have replied to their suggestions, objecting in the strongest possible terms.I suggest we all do the same.

I also complained about their telephone answering system and their use of an 0870 number. For those who do not know, calls to these numbers are charged at full national rates with no discounts available. No matter what arrangement you have with your telephone supplier. Further the holder of the number(in this case the DVLA ) get a proportion of tyhe cost you pay. Yet another sealth tax methinks.
--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - martint123
You can of course use one of their 'normal' phone numbers such as the switchboard on 01792 782700 as found on:- www.saynoto0870.com for alternatives to ripoff numbers.

Martin

True Martin
But the operator usually connects you to the automated service, which is horrendous.
--
Alyn Beattie

Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - CG
Martin,

Very grateful for the website address re 0870 numbers! I thought I was alone in feeling exploited and ripped off when phoning my daughter at university - heaven knows, we parents spend enough as it is getting and keeping them there, and it is outrageous that the univerities then try to make even more money out of us.

Letters going off tomorrow to MP, OFCOM and Southampton University. Will also try to involve a BBC programme for some publicity about this iniquitous arrangement. If anyone has any other worthwhile suggestions then I'm all ears!

End of rant.

CG
CG
I too fight against 0870 numbers. I don't think you will get much help from the BBC. A lot of their numbers are now based on this scam.
--
Alyn Beattie

Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - daveyK_UK
Its simple - dont vote labour!
Governments prposed new Stealth Tax - Mark (RLBS)
Lets keep on the subject of Motoring please.