Rover 'K' Series Engine Cooling System - ColinW
I replaced the Cooling System Temperature Sensor on my Freelander the other day in the hope that this would cure a problem with the Cooling Fan not kicking-in causing the engine to overheat. When draining the Coolant from the engine, I noticed that the fluid seemed to be of very high viscosity - almost treacle-like. The engine was cold. Is this normal ???. Note: I got the car back from the garage recently after having a cylinder-head gasket replaced - I'm worried the garage might not have used the right ratio of water/anti-freeze, which might also exasperate the overheating problem ?.

Cheers,
Ivor
Rover 'K' Series Engine Cooling System - P 2501
Treacly coolant? that doesnt sound very good at all.In my experience this is not normal, but i do not know this car very well so it may have some sort of unusual coolant, but i don't think it should be viscous. I would ring the garage who did the work and check that the coolant was mixed correctly - but even neat coolant isn't treacle thick.

Perhaps oil from the headgasket blowing may have mixed with the new coolant in the water jacket, making it thicker? just a thought.
Rover 'K' Series Engine Cooling System - GIM
Had same problem on 'K' series engine, replaced temp sensor on radiator (as you did). But it was a U/S thermostat (it didn't open at all) no water flow through rad .... hot engine.
Rover 'K' Series Engine Cooling System - DL
Did you drain the coolant just to replace the sensor?

What colour was the coolant, btw?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....