928 at 84 ? - hillman
The motoring section of the Independent today has an odd 'Car Choice' column. A chap aged 84 has asked for advice on what he believes will be the last car that he will buy. He asked about the Mazda RX8, but the columnist strongly recommended the Porsce 928. Does the 928 have enough boot space to carry the weeks shopping?
928 at 84 ? - Sofa Spud
928.... isn't that the one that looks like a flattened AMC Pacer?
(resale value of 928's plummets as word spreads!)

Cheers, SS

928 at 84 ? - bartycrouch
The 928 was a technological tour de force clothed in a very dubious body. The early interiors were even worse. Does anyone remember the chequered flag seats? Some of the later ones were very fast but had moved away from "grand tourer" mode and were too harsh with their ultra-wide low-profile tires.

In the end, good as it, was the 928 was a failure, it was meant to replace the 911, especially in the US market (I think they started designing it back way back in the very early seventies)

It is very much a seventies car; two useless rear seats in a huge body that isn't even attractive.

If I wanted one last car I would ask

"is it beautiful?"
"is it desirable?"
"did it influence other manufacturers?"

I think the 928 fails the test.

928 at 84 ? - Civic8
But would think 84 year old may feel the thrill. without a doubt
so wheres the prob?.At that age if he can drive ok.Let him live.
Maybe his last drive.?See what I mean ;-)
--
Was mech1
928 at 84 ? - volvoman
Three cheers for the guy IMO. If he'd just moved in with a 25 year old pole dancer we'd all be slapping him on the back! That may also have been one of his last acts but many here would still be envious :)

I'm not sure I'll be concentrating my efforts on buying a car at age 85 but if I get there I'll let you all know in 2044.
928 at 84 ? - THe Growler
'Ere V-man, that's a bit near the knuckle.... although I admit I have 11 months yet before a grateful HMG doles me out whatever I'm due (note to self: see if can claim heating allowance in Philippines....)

I had an uncle who brought down an unaccountably large volume of wrath and ridicule when he bought himself an E-Type Jag at 80 and promptly drove it to the S. of France with a female companion considerably younger than he. To the caustic comments he was too old to do such a thing he always replied he was too old not to. Sour grapes of course. This old guy had ticked all the boxes on life's checksheet and wanted to get some ROI on a life of honest toil.

So more power to our 84 year old.

25 year old pole dancers? Round here that's a bit long in the tooth....18/19'd be nearer the mark ;-)
928 at 84 ? - volvoman
Commiserations on the prospect of impending senility Gr :) However console yourself with these thoughts:

What little you get will go a lot further out there than it will here.

At last GB won't see any more of your money in the form of stealth taxes.

Best wishes BTW.
928 at 84 ? - Number_Cruncher
The boot on 928s isn't poorly sized. But, as Bartycrouch suggests, the back seats will probably remain vacant, so there is extra room there.

I think the idea of ending your motoring career with something a little bit special is excellent - I hope the old chap has a fun time.

I tend to agree with the columnist's recommendation. Is there a better value, more practical, or better quality supercar? I have only worked extensively on one example, but at every turn, the quality of engineering and innovation just astounded me. Top car!

number_cruncher
928 at 84 ? - Cliff Pope
>>
I think the idea of ending your motoring career with something
a little bit special is excellent - I hope the old
chap has a fun time.

Couldn't agree more - but why wait? Shouldn't life be fun at any age?
928 at 84 ? - volvoman
Yep, if you can afford it all. At 84 he very likely has no mortgage, grown up kids and quite a few assets - a large proportion of which GB will be delighted to relieve him of as soon as he dies. Rock on senior citizen - enjoy your money while you can!
928 at 84 ? - Mark (RLBS)
>>If I wanted one last car I would ask..............

Whereas I would ask simply "do I want it ?".
928 at 84 ? - patently
Now then. Let me see. He can either:

- buy the car, enjoy himself while he still can, and when he passes away, bequeath the car to a relative or sell it, or

- sit on the cash and let gorgeous Gordon have 40% of it when he passes away.