How not to sell a new car! - meldrew
Went with son yeesterday to see about changing a one year old MG ZR, not a mark on it and tyres barely showing sign of any wear, for something a bit quicker. I lurked in the background and played no part in the proceedings.

Nearly an hour later I asked how did he get on? I was doing OK until the sales manager turned up and said "we're not taking one of those in as a part exchange"

Their slogan is "a customer for life". They have just lost one for the same period!
How not to sell a new car! - midlifecrisis
Strange response as the ZR is Britains best selling 'warm' hatch.
How not to sell a new car! - Stuartli
Something similar once happened to me when I agreed to buy a (secondhand) car. The young salesman was very helpful and gave me a PX price for my outgoing vehicle.

However, when I returned later that day with someone who knew about this particular model, I was informed the car had been sold.

I was, of course, very angry but no amount of argument changed matters. A few hours later I was advised by a relative it was because too high a PX price had been offered.

There's a saying in my family that "What's for you won't pass you by and never was it more true than in this case.

I found another example of the same model of car, same colour and virtually the same mileage - only the registration number was obviously different.

Not only did I get it for a slightly lower asking price than the first dealership, but also rewardingly sold my own car to someone who placed such vehicles in auctions to make a small, but quick buck.

Needless to say I've never had anything to do with the first dealership again and neither has anyone else who has learned of my experience. Hit 'em in the pocket, where it hurts is my motto.
How not to sell a new car! - madf
We went to look for a new car - new to us that is. SWMBO's immaculate Peugeot 106 (10 years old) was to be px'd so we asked what they would offer.

Here basic psychology sets in. Even if it is old, salesman could see it gleamed: therefore it had been looked after: therefore loved.
So if he had said "well looked after car: you would get a better deal selling it privately. Sorry I can only offer £800 cos we would just send it to auction" or words to that effect...

but instead he said " it's old. £800 is the best we can do." Full stop.

SWMBO MUCH offended. Her beloved car! Salesman was rude and only offered £800 and no advice. Was she going to buy a car from there EVER? Was she ? NO NEVER.

As a result salesman lost a deal, garage has lost 2 customers for life: we will never return and she is blunt about the garage any time their name is mentioned. (I have to say they have a good reputation , have been in business many years etc )

SO a few kind words from salesman (he was not busy: we were only customers at the time) would have cost nothing ..instead business lost forever.

Typical of many selsmen in car business: could not sell a pint to an alcoholic... Oh dear.

We still have car: SWBO now does not want to lose it....

madf

How not to sell a new car! - malteser
On the other side of the coin - he chose not to buy your car - you chose not to buy his! Still (just) a free country.
Roger. (in the UK for 3 more weeks and then back to the sun! )