Peugeot 405TD 1995 overheating - MickB
I have had overheating problems including loss of coolant with my peugeot. The car ran for 4 hours (stationary) on Friday in the heat and as the temperature got close to 90 the fan cut in and brought it down.......everything fine and no overheating. I then took it for a run on Saturday and at speeds up to 60 mph everything was fine temp between 70 and 90 but then over this speed the temperature began to climb up to 105. Slowing down brought the temperature down slowly. When I stopped the coolant level was fine. The level light continues to come on and go off intermittently.

Does anyone have any clues?
Peugeot 405TD 1995 overheating - RichardW
When you're driving it hard the load on the cooling system is much higher than when it's sat stationary. Now, I would look at the radiator being blocked - when sat in traffic is the whole rad hot, or is the bottom 3" cold? Then water pump - not easy to check unfortunately, but in the absence of anything else appearing wrong, a change might do the trick. Head gasket problems cannot be ruled out. Is there any pressure remaining in the cooling system when the engine is cold, or if you remove the cap (engine cold) refit, start the engine and run for 30s or so, then shut it down is there a hiss when you take the cap off? Either of these points strongly to a leaking head gasket.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Peugeot 405TD 1995 overheating - Aprilia
SOunds like a 'flow' problems - dodgy waterpump, blocked radiator, dodgy thermostat, debris in the system?
Peugeot 405TD 1995 overheating - MickB
Today when driving in hot weather it hasn't overheated at all but the coolant level light has kept coming on and off (sometimes just a flicker). When checking after it took just 1 litre to top it up.

Could anyone explain the layout of the sensors on the thermostat housing and the radiatior, as I think it may have been rewired when having a new radiator fitted by a garage. There are 3 sensors on the housing and 1 low down on the radiator and Haynes does not give enough information. (this is a late model 1.9TD with air conditioning)

Peugeot 405TD 1995 overheating - Richard Turpin
I can't answer your problem as your cooling should be sufficient at 60 MPH but you actually have 2 fans. These are wired in series or in parralel depending on the amount of cooling required. When little cooling is required (and all the time when aircon pump operational) the fans work in series. ie: the electricity flows into the 1st fan, out of that, directly into the second and out of that back to the source. Thus each fan operates at 6 volts giving 1/2 speed. When more cooling is required, relays change the set up so that each fan receives a full 12 volts and runs at full speed. If you remove the front plastic grille (2 bolts at top and 2 plactic clips at bottom, from memory) you will find no less than 3 relays. Why 3 instead of 2 I don't understand. I also found Haynes less than useful. However you could check the relays easily as the wiring diagram for each relay is printed on the side of the relay. As I said, I don't think I'm answering your particular problem as at 60 MPH there should be enough cooling regardless of the fans. Lots of luck anyway.
Peugeot 405TD 1995 overheating - RichardW
IIRC the 3 sensors on the stat housing are: Engine ECU, Bitron controller (controls the air con and the fans), and the temp gauge. Why you should have 3 on a 95 405 with mechanical engine control I don't know! The sensor on the radiator will be the low water level. The question you need to answer is where did the water go? Might be worth trying a new rad cap as it may have boiled off if the cap is below par.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Peugeot 405TD 1995 overheating - LeePower
You have 1 sensor for the fans & Bitron unit

1 sensor does the gauge & ECU if petrol injection

The other sensor does the "STOP" & "High temperature" warning lights

Thats why Peugeot 405s have 3 temperature sensors.