Greasy feeling in antifreeze. Subaru - autumnboy
My 1995 Subaru Turbo

Checking the water level the weekend, which was ok. I\'ve not put any water in it for a few weeks as always on monthly basis.

But something I found which I\'ve not noticed before as I\'ve not looked for it, is that there was a greasy feel to the water. The water is clear apart from the colour of the antifreeze water, no brown scum, any other and it has bubbles showing in the header tank.

Can the antifreeze used have a glycerine effect.

Any clues?????
Greasy feeling in antifreeze in rad. - none
I think I know what you mean. Iv'e had to change a couple of radiators in the last month, and in each case a small amount of antifreeze ran into a corner of the workshop, just a shallow film really. It was still there days later - wouldn't evaporate, in the end I had to mop it up.
Greasy feeling in antifreeze in rad. - Civic8
From what you said it is healthy.nothing to worry about.
--
Was mech1
Greasy feeling in antifreeze in rad. - jc
Modern anti-freeze no longer uses ethylene glycol but organic acid technology(OAT) which is why it can last for ten years.
Greasy feeling in antifreeze in rad. - Sooty Tailpipes
The OAT is the corrosion inhibiter used instead of phosphates, but the coolant will still be ethylene or propylene glycol.

There also seems to be a lot of precipitate/blockage/deposit problems emerging with red coolant now, and some class action lawsuits against Texaco in the USA.
Greasy feeling in antifreeze in rad. - Sprice
Propylene Glycol is a very oily substance, that if spilled won't evaporate(as I found out!) and will need detergent to shift it. I'm assuming ethylene glycol has similar properties, which would explain the oily feeling.
Greasy feeling in antifreeze in rad. - Aprilia
Modern antifeezes actually contain a wide range of chemicals, including waxes and oils to lubricate the waterpump and other internal components. It is normally for it to feel a little greasy. If you notice 'mayonnaise', sludge or other contaminants then that's the time to become alarmed.