Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - jonesy127 {P}
We have a Mk3 Golf which we've been very pleased with. But it's starting to look a bit long in the tooth now, particularly as modern cars have come on in leaps and bounds in terms of powerful turbo-diesels and standard safety features.

The Mk5 is out of our price range, so what of the Mk4? I know it has had a luke-warm reception, perhaps criticised for not being as big an improvement as it could've been. But compared to it's class equals, is it a bad car?
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - DavidHM
Excellent turbo diesel engines, and great perceived build quality (hence strong residuals).

Against that, the E spec models are very slow and basic and none is exactly cheap.

The handling is pretty poor (no steering feel before lots of understeer, basically - though I've not driven a sporty one) and the space in the rear is definitely "last generation" compared to a Focus, let alone a Civic.

I suppose it all depends what your price range is and what you can get for that; £4k is the absolute entry level for a five year old, 80k, base spec model. It's not a bad car, although it has some weaknesses and isn't really head and shoulders above the competition in any way.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - Older_not_wiser
Certainly not a bad car.

However, you could consider the Skoda Octavia.
Basically the same platform and engines, but bigger "boot".
And a superb reliability reputation.

You will get an Octavia one year younger for Golf money.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - No Do$h
Well I\'ve struggled to keep a couple of T Di Mk IVs within reach on the A34 and A31 in the last couple of days, and my car isn\'t exactly slow.

Mind you, as soon as we got on the twisty bits I left them eating my exhaust fumes. That car wallows like a tug in a heavy sea, but then that\'s been the case on Golfs since the Mk III anyway.

Quite amusing to see a Golf apparently on two wheels in your rear view mirror when you have just taken the same bend 15mph faster with no fuss at all.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - mare
Definitely echo that, go for the 110bhp version in SLX or Elegance models. Much bigger boot.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - Stuartli
Although I've always preferred the VW versions, the Seat Toledo is basically the same as the A3/A4, Bora and Octavia, but each is aimed at a different type of buyer.

The Toledo is built in Belguim and, like the Octavia, is keenly priced and well equipped whatever version.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - bradgate
The Golf MK4 is far from perfect, but has many attributes which make it highly desirable.

The best models in my experience, and that of many others, are the TDi PD 130/150 engined cars with the 6 speed box. These cars offer a 'have your cake and eat it' combination of very strong performance and 50+ mpg. This engine is so good that it almost single-handedly transformed the perception of Diesels in the UK market.

The other major plus point is the Mk4's perceived quality. The interiors of all models are several classes above all direct competitors, and touches such as damped grab handles and classy blue-lit instruments provide a fantastic feel-good factor.

The main problems are wallowy suspension which combines with lots of understeer to make twisty roads hard work. Some later GTI models have a 'sport suspension' pack which apparently improves matters somewhat, but no MK4 will ever drive like a Focus. The non-turbo petrol GTI is underpowered and unworthy of its badge.

The MK4 is quite a small car by today's standards and this is reflected in tight rear legroom an a fairly small boot. This wasn't an issue for many of the single young professional types who chose a Golf as their company car.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - akr
Just remember all the rantings on these pages about poor VW reliability and shocking dealer service. Not a bad car per se but if it's not reliable and you've paid over the odds for it (which you will) you'll be disappointed. I'd buy a nearly new Focus or Astra any day. I've just got rid of my third Golf and bought a Saab. I will never buy another VW again, ever!
I've had three VWs in the last 12 years - two Jettas and a Bora - all have proved superbly reliable and trouble-free.

You normally only hear from people who complain about various makes of cars, never the many who rarely extend praise.

As a point of interest about VW cars. The Skoda Octavia, for the past two years, has had the highest percentage of owners (90 plus per cent) in two giant surveys stating that they would not only buy another one but also recommend the marque to friends and family.

Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - Aprilia
My mother bought a Polo 1.4 in 2000. It was fairly troublesome, but not a disaster (only had to be recovered to the garage once in 10000 miles - but host of minor niggles).

She bought another new one in 2002. This was terribly troublesome, with all manner of electrical and mechanical faults. She is in her 70's and although the car was under warranty she basically couldn't cope with the hassle of continually taking it in for repairs. Normally she would have to take it in for 'diagnosis' and then be given another appointment for when the repair could be done. A heck of a lot of messing about, especially with the dealer being a fair distance away.

Anyway, because of all this hassle she p/x'd the '02 model for a new one earlier this year and so far it has been OK. Its expensive motoring though!
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - Mad Maxy
Is it a bad car? Essentially no. It has a good reputation, overall fairly deserved - hence the residuals.

I ran a GT TDI 110 for 45,000 miles over 4 years. A few minor things fixed under warranty but otherwise fine. No great handler on the twisty bits - too floaty and unresponsive - but I found the car (including the handling and 'feel' far more satisfying to own and drive than a Focus.

But remember you can buy essentially the same car cheaper with a Skoda badge...
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - Cardew
It is a recurring theme in the Backroom that VW's are unreliable and Seat and Skoda are wonderful. Yet the cars are on the same platforms and the major parts come out of the same bin.

As has been said many times it is all down to buyer's expectations and the need for many Seat/Skoda owners to justify their choice.

FWIW I think the Mk4 exudes quality but concede, for some, that may not justify the premium over the Seat/Skoda versions. In the same way I felt that it was not worth paying the extra for the Audi A3.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - NowWheels
It is a recurring theme in the Backroom that VW's are
unreliable and Seat and Skoda are wonderful. Yet the cars are
on the same platforms and the major parts come out of
the same bin.

don't some of them even come out of the same factories?
Up to a point, yes.

However, VW has factories in many parts of the world, including South Africa, Mexico, Germany, Spain, Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Portugal etc.

However, there is some cross production (the then new Polo in 1995 was manufactured at the brand new Seat factory in Spain and the current Toledo in Belgium), whilst the Sharan and Alhambra MPVs are produced in the Portugal plant built as a result of the collaboration between VW and Ford (Galaxy) in the early 1990s.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - Pezzer
I'm just in the process of replacing my (company) Gti 1.8T after almost 4 years and all in all its been pretty good although I'm glad that I've not had to pay for the warranty fixes. I'm lucky that my nextdoor neighbour works for a VW dealer, so I never see the inside of the dealership she takes it in and brings it back for me - I just sign on the dotted line.
Fuel economy is poor and the cornering is not brilliant when really thrashing it, although day to day it is more than adequate but that does mean that the ride quality is good for a hotish hatch. (I remember doing a driving course with an ex-police driver not long after I got it, who was really impressed with this).
One thing I will say is that the interior and paintwork are still as good today as when I got it. I wont be having a new Golf because I dont like the look of them and the company have given me more money to 'play' with. In summary you could do a lot worse and I still think the interior is a nice place to be. Agree that the 130/150 PS Turbo diesels are the ones to have.
You presumably wouldn't have to pay for fixes under warranty.
Is the Mk4 Golf a bad car? - Avant
Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong about this but....

The last car before my current A4 Avant was a Golf Mark 4 TDI estate (Y registration)- never missed a beat in nearly 3 years and 36,000 miles. It was made in Germany but some of the Golf hatchbacks are manufactured in S. Africa.

Much as I love S. Africa - we go regularly - I wonder if the VW plant there has the same quality control as in the Fatherland. We've had VW hire cars there each year with no problems, though they are always new.

This might explain why some of you have had problems and some haven't.

I love the A4 but miss the Golf - it was good to drive with lots of acceleration (115 bhp) in the rev range where one needed it. Handling only stodgy if you are in a great hurry. And it was something to say in reply to the question 'are you related to David Duval the golfer?' - 'no, but I own a Golf Estate'
On the occasions I've driven VW and other marques in South Africa which have also been built in the country, the difference between European and SA versions is apparent; the latter don't quite manage the same high levels.

If you want to check your VIN number out FOC and find out where your car was built (surprise, surprise my Bora comes from Wolfsburg, yet is named as a Golf!) go to:

www.autobaza.pl/ab/en/web/productaa0100