Motorway Closures - helicopter
I return to this subject without apology.

I know that a senior detective is critically ill after what appears to be a hit and run accident yesterday- I sincerely hope he survives and my sympathy goes to his family BUT .....

Was it really necessary for Scotland Yard to close the whole of the M11 from the M25 junction to the North Circular for 12 hours to investigate a crime which at worst is probably a case of reckless driving and if it was necessary ,why not close it from junction 5 at Loughton rather than M25 junction 6.

The consequences of the closure decision are horrendous for thousands of people - who takes them and to whom are they accountable.
Motorway Closures - Adam {P}
You don't really know what's gone on...alright it may seem a bit drastic but police are reluctant to close the motorway at the best of times so they must have a good reason.
Motorway Closures - Mapmaker
Agreed. If I were to be killed on the roads, I should hate to think that they were closed for much longer than it took to turn a hosepipe on the accident area.

Motorway Closures - just a bloke
Agreed. If I were to be killed on the roads,
I should hate to think that they were closed for much
longer than it took to turn a hosepipe on the accident
area.

I don't think that was called for :-)

I do think they need to do what needs to be done in order to investigate, including the closure of the motorway but it does always seem to take an extraordinary amount of time.

These things always seemt o take so much longer than elsewhere, it may be that we are more thorough than elsewhere but I'm not so sure...

Risk assessments... Henly....
Motorway Closures - Altea Ego
As I said on the last time this post came up, its all to do with blame. The only reason this is done is to gather evidence so someone can be punished.
But 12 hours...? So far as I recall, there's been a recent change in policy over this, but I may be wrong?
Motorway Closures - volvoman
Agree - the trouble is the police don't know what's really happened until they've gathered the evidence and the time taken to do that will to a large extent be determined by how quickly the approrpriate experts can get to the scene and complete their work. Also, the outcome (which in this case I thought was that the Chief Superintendant involved had subsequently died) will determine how serious the investgation needs to be. The potential for legal action and compensation claims from, say the victim's family will have a major bearing on how much evidence needs to be gathered. It's a difficult call and, as you say, it's been discussed here before but I think the police should continue to err on the side of cautionfor all the above reasons. Unless more resources are made available to the emergency services that will sadly mean more delays.
Motorway Closures - Canon Fodder

why not close it from junction 5 at Loughton rather than M25 junction 6.

no exit southbound or access northbound at junction 5 so not really practical......

CF
Don't lets get too emotional folks - I'm not heartless just fed up with the consequences of the closure of a motorway for 12 hours + for what in ordinary circumstances is a fairly minor accident or crime albeit with tragic consequences.

Thank's for the info CF.

The question was - who takes the decisions on this?

The accident involved a motorbike and a car which did not stop so presumably no heavy removal or lifting equipment required so why not just cone off the relevant 1/4 mile or so of the relevant lane to do the investigation.

Trapped motorists were having to have water brought to them in their cars by the local council because they could not get off the motorway.

IMO and I emphasise IMO it was a complete overreaction because it was a senior police officer involved.
Motorway Closures - volvoman
Overreaction - you may be right but I guess a senior police officer may well be a target for all sorts of scumbags and the other driver left the scene so ruling out foul play would have been more of an issue in this case than many others.
Motorway Closures - Hawesy1982
I agree with Mapmaker, whilst obviously the area was a crime scene, and needed to be investigated - all three lanes? For 12 hours?

Undoubtably the fact that the victim was a senior police officer exacerbated this situation.

If you take into account the disruption caused to thousands of people, the number of hours wasted must have a theoretical value in £ aswell.

Whilst admittedly i do not know all the facts, it seems unfeasable that at least one lane could have been opened after only a nominal period of closure.
Motorway Closures - BrianW
I usually use this section on a motorbike at about 08.45 (which I believe was about when it happened).
But yesterday I had a hospital appointment so was working at home in the morning.
"There but for the grace of God!"
Motorway Closures - Galaxy
The accident happened at 7.20am
There's a 50mph speed limit on that section so the cause was almost certainly the usual: lack of observation.
Motorway Closures - Chad.R
IMO and I emphasise IMO it was a complete overreaction because it was a senior police officer involved.

That implies that the Police force are biased in the way they deal with individuals - i.e according to their social stature, rank etc.

I do not think so - at least I would not like to think so.

However I do believe that this case given the circumstances and people involved, was always going to be "high-profile" and in that sense, the Police probably didn't want to make any mistakes.

.... I think there is a subtle difference betweeen the two.

Chad.
A very subtle differnce Chad - do you think if it had been Joe Scruff motorcycle courier , the reaction would have been the same as regards the 12 hour closure?

A very subtle differnce Chad - do you think if it
had been Joe Scruff motorcycle courier , the reaction would have
been the same as regards the 12 hour closure?

I am fairly cynical and getting more so :-( but I still believe that the police would put as much effort into invetsigating the death of a Joe Scruff as they do one of their own.
JAB - Im not talking about the investigation or the reaction of the other services - just why the whole motorway closure and not a cone off job?
If someone was involved in a hit and run on a single track or dual carriageway I can understand and I would be happy ( well not that happy) to sit ( and have done in the past )for a couple of hours if the victim needed attention at the roadside or the air ambulance to land.
IMO it is a complete overreaction to a relatively minor case of possible reckless driving and these closures are becoming more and more frequent and affect literally thousands of people.
Are the people who take these decisions accountable to anyone - it would appear not.
@Helicopter,
I understand the point your making and I agree with you, but I think that the police reaction would have been the same regardless of who was involved.
We've had major roads closed for extended periods because of accidents and incidents. I think it's what the "book" says they must do, so they do.

JaB

I agree with JaB, sorry Heli. I think the presence of a police officer made no difference whatsover.
Motorway Closures - Hawesy1982
Regardless of whether the identity of the victim mattered tho, 12 hours with all three lanes closed?
New rules are that they have to close all 3 lanes. Until a year or two ago, they would just close the relevant lane.
Motorway Closures - SteveH42
Trapped motorists were having to have water brought to them in
their cars by the local council because they could not get
off the motorway.

This was the most significant thing I noticed about the whole business. Ok, we know the police will close roads (and railways) for hours or days at a time causing massive disruption, but could they not have temporarily closed the road a junction further back to allow those trapped to turn around and go back to the previous exit and get out of it? I assume they wouldn't let them past to 'preserve evidence' but surely all but the HGVs could get turned fairly easily on a motorway and if the proper protection was in place could go back one junction 'wrong way'.
From the point of view of reversing traffic it could not have happened at a worse place.
The two carriageways are separated by up to 200 yards or so with no connections.
The southbound carriageway at the previous junction (Loughton)is "on only".
The only practical way to clear the backlog would be to open the offside slip onto the North Circular as soon as possible whilst closing access at Loughton, the M25 and Harlow (A414).
A right nightmare but not impossible, I would have thought.
Motorway Closures - SteveH42
(I don't know the road in question or where the accident happened I must admit. I'm assuming from your comment it was on the southbound carriageway?)
The two carriageways are separated by up to 200 yards or
so with no connections.

There seem to be very few connections between carriageways on motorways. However, I wasn't meaning this, I was suggesting the cars do a U-turn and run wrong-way to the previous junction....
The southbound carriageway at the previous junction is "on only".

...not a problem, indeed easier as there would be no traffic coming off here so you already have a 'barrier' between junctions and as traffic would be going wrong-way, an 'on' ramp would become an 'off' ramp - you'd just need someone at the top controlling things. Heck, even if you only got traffic off at a crawl it would be better than being stuck for potentially 12 hours or so. I know I couldn't last that long without, for example, needing the toilet.
Motorway Closures - regent
I agree that it does seem a very long time to close a major road trapping 1000's of drivers, and causing chaos in NE London. Whilst I can understand the need to preserve a "crime scene" - it should'nt need that long to undertake the work?

Motorway Closures - Dwight Van Driver
Helicopter and others.

Yes I too thought that it was a hell of a time to have a road closed and pondered why and enquired.

It appears that nowadays all serious/Fatal RTA's are given the same status as a murder scene and similar lines of investigation.

For those who really want to know the protocols (don't you just love that words Elmer?) involved in such an accident can I direct you to read:

www.tinyurl.com/me10

and select ACPO Road Death Investigation Manual. Takes about 3 minutes to down load and a couple of hours to read. Just done the same and left me in a sweat. Did I really do all that in the countless fatals I dealt with and supervised?

Oh and note the author of said document.

DVD

FiF please draw to the attention of Bro...
Motorway Closures - Stargazer {P}
DVD,

Thanks for that link, the document you mention is for road deaths, but is this also applied for serious non-fatal crashes?

I looked and failed to find a date in the document....(NB I would be castigated for an official document that was not dated with version numbers and digital signature.) When was this implemented? I ask as I had a family involvement with a double fatal collision 10 years ago and certainly was not aware of this level of investigation or road closure.

regards

Stargazer
Motorway Closures - Ivor E Tower
There are strange goings on in the Police force - in the UK they close a road if there is a fatality and inconvenience thousands of people on some occasions. In France they do everything they can to keep the traffic moving and do not close a road after an accident unless they really have to - and then, for as short a space of time as possible. Why the difference in approach?
Motorway Closures - PoloGirl
There are strange goings on in the Police force - in
the UK they close a road if there is a fatality
and inconvenience thousands of people on some occasions. In France
they do everything they can to keep the traffic moving and
do not close a road after an accident unless they really
have to - and then, for as short a space of
time as possible. Why the difference in approach?

Yeah...and in France it takes 8 years for someone who murders a girl while she's on a school trip to be caught and brought to justice. Which forces would you rather rely on?

I genuinely don't know the details of the incident you're referring to, but lets just imagine that they catch whoever is responsible and when it comes to court there is a vital bit of evidence missing, missed because the officers were hurrying to get the road open again. The case falls apart and the person gets off scott free.

Technology is great...but as more innovations become available for determining speed, direction, impact etc etc, so it takes time to use them all to the best effect and establish a more accurate idea of what's happened.

I personally don't mind sitting in a queue if it means that someone is going to be brought to justice for endangering the lives of others, or if it means that someone's family is going to know how and why their loved one died and be able to feel some sort of 'closure'.

It just sounds like, unfortunately, this incident happened in a pretty inconvenient place in terms of being able to turn people around and get them away from the scene... but quite rightly that's not the priority of the emergency services trying to deal with what's going on. Sounds like the people in the queue were looked after anyway!
Stargazer

Stop looking upwards but down.....to the bottom of each page where its says: National Police Training 2001, which is the date, it would seem document published. Seems to fit in from that time with apparently long road closures....

DVD
DVD

Stargazer is saying that for an official document and handbook, especially one that will be used to prepare evidence it should have

1/ Author(s) and reviewer(s),
2/ Publication date
3/ Version number
4/ Review date being a fixed perid of time from publication date
5/ Revision numbers with dates.
and a warning saying that when printed it may be out of date.

Motorway Closures - Stargazer {P}
DVD,

He He...thanks for the pointer. This is one StarGazer that is far too familiar with official documentation which requires a title page with all the relavent info in one place. Definitely a case of spending far too much time at a desk looking down and not enough on foreign trips looking up!

I didnt think it could be too old and the process described does not match my direct experience from 1994 but seems much better in
many respects.

Despite this support of the improved methods I am still surprised
at the delay in reopening all three lanes.

StarGazer
Motorway Closures - Manatee
Hearsay is that portaloos were brought as well as food and water for the trapped motorists.

If it was really necessary to close the road for so long, the logistics of putting a temporary crossover in, closing the opposite carriagewayway for half an hour, and releasing the trapped traffic would have been almost as easy. If full closure is going to be the rule from now on then there should really be some planning for this - being stuck for 12 hours is not trivial for many people.

Best wishes for the police officer and his family of course
Motorway Closures - Dalglish
helicopter:

to answer your question as to at what level these decisions are made, you need to ask your member of parliament to take it up. these bureaucratic procedures get looked at again only if enough people ask questions. procedures and guidelines that have been drawn up by committee end up as tablets of stone to be followed without question without any leadership or decision making input, and after a while they are taken to be the only way of doing things. junior staff become afraid to ask questions or challenge procedures, and if they do, they are told "that is how we have always done it or that is in the rulebook".

with rulebooks, people lose the ability to use judgement or common sense and do not think about the appropriate level or proportionality of response to apply to each individual incident.

polgirl: there are other points of view to consider. let me jsut give some possible alternative opinions. you said -
" .... Yeah...and in France it takes 8 years for someone who murders a girl...."
- well what about the polish school girl in west london whose murderer was caught by after even a longer time?

"... I genuinely don't know the details of the incident you're referring to, but lets just imagine that they catch whoever is responsible and when it comes to court there is a vital bit of evidence missing, missed because the officers were hurrying to get the road open again. The case falls apart and the person gets off scott free. ..."
- like the case highlighted here last week, then fine them £84. and in any case, did the police manage to seal off the motorway instantly before any traffic had gone past the scene?

" Sounds like the people in the queue were looked after anyway!
try telling tell that to the person who was trapped in the blockage and missed one of his papers for final profesional exams. he has to retake all his 4 subjects. or to the diabetic who needed emergency attention when he went in to a coma. if he had died, who would have been charged with his death?

Bonjour mon ami RF.....

The doc I referred to is a internal guide to S.O's?/Traffic Officers etc on how to deal with a SI/Fatal RTA and an Aide Memoire of actions to conside/take. As such it will not have the details you refer to. All Stargazer asked was for a date in the document, which was there.

Dalglish makes a very pertinent point about the dangers/welfare of those held up for long periods i.e. diabetics etc (but thgis shows lack of personal control over medication?)so perhaps Mr
Blunderbus's next project, once he has sorted speeding out, will be another tombe on how to deal with tail backs.

DVD

(Tomorrow Vive La France - Stuff Buckem)

I assume then DVD, that your intelect is high enough that you are not sporting an approved DOT idiot indicator?
Motorway Closures - Dalglish
Dalglish makes a very pertinent point about the
dangers/welfare of those held up for long periods i.e.
diabetics etc (but thgis shows lack of personal control over
medication?)

dvd:
while i agree that this is to a certain extent in the control of individuals, most diabetics that i know of (some type a and some type b)do actually carry their medication with them and also some carabohyrate food (and glucose tabs for emergency needs).

however, none of them would plan on being at a standstill for 12 hours in the summer - as opposed to being trapped in a snowstorm - while travelling on a british motorway in the 21st century. diabetics on this forum will tell you that the way in which they become "hypo" is so gradual that even very careful diabetics can get caught out by it. the nearest similar gradual effect i can describe is that of carbon monoxide poisoning where the person affected is virtually unaware of what is happening.

Motorway Closures - Onetap
"I know that a senior detective is critically ill after what appears to be a hit and run accident"

" to investigate a crime which at worst is probably a case of reckless driving"

You seem to be assuming that it was an accident. If a crime had been committed, then the worst it could have been was attempted murder. At one stage, it sounded possible that the victim might not survive.

The victim was a senior murder squad detective. I don't know of him, but I'm sure he has got to meet some fairly unpleasant criminals in the course of his duties. We don't know what this man has been working on, nor what might have been said to him by the unpleasant types he had been investigating. The Met police do and someone senior decided that this investigation of the incident was justified. I would expect that that decision was not taken lightly.

Motorway Closures - frostbite
I think the article To Protect and Serve Ourselves in today's Telegraph is good comment on this sort of situation.
Motorway Closures - defender
dont think who was involved had anything to do with it,in the highland total road closures can mean anything up to 200 mile detours or a 6 hour wait.its tragic when something happens to need (if thats the right word)a closure but it wont be long before the claims for being wrongfully detained or indeed personal distress,health problems being caused by being unduly delayed etc start to change policy.personally I think they could have turned cars round and taken them of further back the carraigeway
Motorway Closures - pdc {P}
I think they could have turned cars round
and taken them of further back the carraigeway

I recall this happening on the M6 about 8 years ago. The police had vehicles do a U turn and exit the motorway via the on-slip road.

Motorway Closures - BobbyG
In my local village just now there has been an accident at a set of traffic lights. Its obvious that one of the two cars involved has skipped a red light, or there is a lighting fault or whatever.

However, there are 2 cops on the scene, one is directing traffic round the cars whilst the other takes notes. Drivers are with copper, there is no major damage, bent wings etc.

However, they have now been there for 20 mins and have not moved the cars, both of which look perfectly driveable. There are queues each way for at least a mile.

In a case like this, what is the benefit of leaving the cars in situ? Surely the evidence that the policeman gathers from drivers / witnesses is what is going to count, there are not going to be any accident investigators brought out etc so why do this? As said before, police are reluctant to come out to bumps so why here? Unless one driver has claimed the other is drunk or something?
Motorway Closures - regent
I was stuck in a long jam recently in Yorkshire post accident. Once we'd got to the junction you could clearly see that there had been a prang, and both the vehicles involved were nicely parked out of the way. It was the plod cars, badly parked, causing all the delays!
Motorway Closures - OldPeculiar
So what do you do if you're trapped in this sort of tailback and have some form of immediate need? Ring 999? For example when traveling with my 3 month old son I don't generally pack enough feeds etc for a 12 hour stop (they have to be kept refrigerated anyway) should I ring 999 if after 6 hours in a queue he's crying because he's hungry and I can't feed him?
Gerber foods come in jars that don't require refrigeration. (Do they still make them?) Ideal for an emergency such as that.