Vocabulary - Mad Maxy
?Ok, no more numberplates of a *suggestive* nature please.

DD. BR Moderator.?

I?m mindful of the ?official? post on swearing, which I happen to support. It?s good to see that the BR mods uphold some high standards of decency, and I for one wouldn?t want to visit, let alone contribute to, a site where low life run riot with language dredged from sewer sludge.

But I do think that sometimes the censorship and advice policy is just a bit Victorian. The admonishment above was in response to a post in another thread that referred to humorous number plate that, with a touch of imagination, suggested a word beginning with B and ending with KS meaning a couple of items of male tackle.

Come on mods, this is hardly a descent to the depths of depravity. And nor need it be the start of a slippery slope. Use words one would use in front of Mum? Well mine, at close on 90, doesn?t bat an eyelid at the odd mild swear word, even though she never uses them herself. And you can hear the A, B, C, P and S words on Radio 4 at 6.30 ? not that I?d like to see them all over the BR.

So why not lighten up a little, mods? Nothing wrong, surely, with the odd use of carp or something humorously abusive when emotion runs high, especially when there?s a twinkle in the contributor?s eye.

Of course, you can tell me ?If you don?t like it, you can go away promptly?, but this censoriousness seems to me both a tad frustrating and comical. Move closer to 21st Century Britain (but not all the way)?
Vocabulary - wemyss
This has been discussed previously Maxy. This site is perhaps unique in attracting a good class of contributors and visitors. This is in part to the standards expected and enforced by the moderators.
Why change a successful policy to cater for a few who wish to change this.
My library enforces a policy of being quiet and of course if they heard me using unacceptable language I would be asked to leave. I don?t think my protestations that they are now in the 21st century and should lighten up would help my case.
Lets leave it as it is Maxy, its working so why try and fix it.
Vocabulary - Dynamic Dave
This has been discussed previously Maxy.
Lets leave it as it is, its working so why try and fix it.

Quite.

DD.
Vocabulary again - Mad Maxy
I was wrong. Mods are right.

You need clear rules. Shades of grey don't work.

Sorry I raised it. Business as usual, then.