Polisher for cutting paintwork - hugh
My red Citroen van is now an unattractive shade of pink, so needs cutting back. Being allergic to elbow grease I want to buy a power polisher - there seem to be two basic types
a)angle grinder-type, generally variable speed, 900-1300W
b)cheaper lower powered diy type,sold for car polishing by Halfords etc
Which do I need (for occasional use) - will the cheapy be adequate? Or do I need the power of the pro-type machine?
Many thanks
Hugh
Polisher for cutting paintwork - Sooty Tailpipes
For info, I was told by a bodyshop, never to use perparations which contain ammonia on a red car (such as T-cut unless they've changed it) the ammonia reacts with the red pigment in the paint and makes it dull and pale.
Polisher for cutting paintwork - martint123
I've used one of those 10 quid (up to 24 quid for same thing) orbital polishers (black, pair of handles, two covers supplied).

It worked quite well with Farcela G3 compound and 3m machine polish . I use old cotton t-shirt and a huge eleastic band over the sponge to apply and polish off the compounds.

Use care near edges and raised ridges or you'll go through to metal. Do one panel at a time. Follow up with a quality wax. Stand back and be amazed.

I'd try a small area by hand to make sure it will polish up, but getting pink back to red is usually just hard work.

Martin