I have a question Volume 39 - Dynamic Dave

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 40 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21728

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC\'s. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 39. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

Excessive BT bill - NVH
I have a friend with a £200 phone bill.
Need some legal advice.
BT allege the internet connection was "hijacked" and claim it is the ISPs problem.
The bill is down to an on-line gaming company - no name or details as no contract signed or accepted. There was an annoying pop-up every few days in February with no "close" button, and no terms and conditions or details, which tried to create a new connection.
Leaving aside the PC aspect:
1.Are there any on reliable line groups sharing info on this scam.
2.Should my friend write to BT,and formally protest and ask for a credit on the next bill ? (Currently paying direct debit).
3.Would any action be possible and likely to succeed in the small claims court if no one accepts liability (say) be the end of May ? Against BT, the ISP, or both ?

Excessive BT bill - Altea Ego
This was covered on last weeks Watchdog.
www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/thisweek/index3.shtml
Esentially a dialer is downloaded, hijacks the PC and dials premium rate numbers. Your friend needs to contact the telecoms regulator, make details of the complaint, get a reference number, and put that part of the bill into "dispute" with the reference number.

The complaint is with the company with the premium rate number, NOT BT. Its not BT's fault that the computer dialled the number. The problem is not the ISPs either, they didnt put the dialer on.

So its off to the telecoms regualtor, make the complaint, and BT can be told to stop asking for the money TEMPORARILY. If there is no conclusion to the premium rate number operator the bill WILL have to be paid.
Excessive BT bill - Martin Wall
You need to get in touch with ICSTIS www.icstis.org.uk who regulate premium rate numbers.

Also make sure that you have:

(i) Up-to-date Anti-virus software

(ii) A good firewall - try the free version of zonealarm
www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/zn...a

(iii) something to remove any dodgy files that reside on your PC - Spybot for example: spybot.safer-networking.de/index.php?page=download

Good luck but as the moral is to be careful on the internet I'm afraid and if in doubt disconnect and get your PC sorted.
Excessive BT bill - NVH
Good advice thanks. I have passed on the details.
Mobile Phone Base Stations - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
A new transmitter has apparently appeared in our local woods disguised as a tree.
How can I find out what it is?
The Ofcom website does not show any operating transmitters in the UK today!
Mobile Phone Base Stations - Ppaul
Are you sure about that? try...

www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk/
Mobile Phone Base Stations - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Try it.
Blank maps with no transmitter symbols.
Am I doing something wrong?
Mobile Phone Base Stations - SpamCan61 {P}
I've used that site myself; and you have to zoom in a long way (pretty much to street map level) before it displays the little blue triangles. Seems pretty accurate though.
Mobile Phone Base Stations - CM
What is a base station? I seem to have 3 within 300 metres of me!! Sure it can't be good, whatever it is!
Have a look at:

www.mastsanity.org
Mobile Phone Base Stations - Civic8
I could be wrong but think they are actually called tranceivers forgive spelling.ie they recieve and send signals at the same time.as mobiles do.anyone please correct if I got that wrong?
Is says last updated March. Maybe it'll appear on the next update.

Whoever erected it would have needed planning permission. You could try your council planning office.
Mobile Phone Base Stations - CM
Having looked a bit further afield it seems that I have 8 within 1/2 mile of the house.

what is the effective "kill" range?
That's the question everyone would like a definitive answer to, There's rather a lack of research at the moment. The Mast Sanity site has got the following:

www.mastsanity.org/research.html
Mobile Phone Base Stations - spikeyhead {p}
I think its unlikely you'll suffer if you're more than a few meters away. the exact distance would need a lot of reseasch, which as otehrs have already shown, hasn't been dome yet.

A mobile phone is capable of transmitting up to 1 Watt. A basestation up to 50W.

Now remember that the voltage depletes with the cube of the distance and you'll realise that the extra power from a basestation disspates to a level below that of a mibile that you're using very quickly.

So if you want to complain about this, don't use a mobile phone to do it!
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Mobile Phone Base Stations - SpamCan61 {P}
It just so happens I've got the safe working distance calculations for a 'live' antenna on my laptop; and the answer is around 0.6 metres, so maybe 1 metre or so for a site operating at the legal maximum (1500W EIRP?)
Mobile Phone Base Stations - Tim
Contact your local planning department. They should (if they are on the ball) have a map detailing all the locations of mobile phone masts within their admin. boundary. If this doesn't show it, ask to see recent the planning history on the site which should identify what it is. The only exceptions which wouldn't show up through this would be that it is below 15m in height or works carried out through a statutory undertaker.

Also try searching on web, citing the name of the woods and "mast" - may well through up details such as the planning permission.
Canal Boats - NitroBurner
Anybody got any info about the costs involved?

Price of a decent secondhand cabin cruiser that will sleep 4?

Mooring, licence & ins fees?

Is it an expensive pastime?

Thanx 4 any help...
Buying Land - hypocrite
I've had a look at the archives but can't find an obvious hit.

My house is built on the land bought from three neighbours 15 years ago, stretching across the bottoms of their gardens. It only has a fairly small back garden.

I'd like to buy part of the fourth (next along) neighbours garden. They are interested (from a third party) but I haven't approached them yet.

Will it be just like buying a house or is it more involved?
Any ideas on a price (as I know how much the three plts cost as building land all those years ago?)

Thanks,

Simon

Buying Land - DavidHM
It's pretty much like buying a house - my parents' garden came from a neighbour and the conveyance is fairly standard. As ever, you'll need a solicitor and a surveyor; as for price, I would suggest speaking to a surveyor or estate agent beforehand.

(To double the size of the back garden to their £65,000 house in 1986, my parents paid £600 - but that seems an unrepeatable bargain).
Cheap replacement Mobiles - BobbyG
Hi, my 9 year old daughter has my old Nokia 3330 for emergency use only. However, it keeps switching itself off, have put replacement battery in etc and same problem.
Does anyone know of any websites that sell trade in phones or cheap handests, not looking for an up to date one, just one for her to keep for emergency? I can do google searches etc but hoping that someone has actual experience that could advise me of a specific retailer?

Also, I am just assuming that there is no point in trying to get this fixed as I feel that they are probably almost "disposable" nowadays, or should I be going down that road?
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Dynamic Dave
Bobby,

The 3330 does have a problem with switching itself off. Friend of mine had his circuit board replaced under warranty when he had one a few years ago. Bloke in the Nokia repair shop said he's fixed loads with this problem apparantely.

Anyway, it might be worth your while popping into your local mob phone shop and seeing if they have any 2nd hand ones. When people upgrade, sometimes their contract agreement specifies they have to surrender the old phone.

Cheap replacement Mobiles - No Do$h
Anyway, it might be worth your while popping into your local
mob phone shop and seeing if they have any 2nd hand
ones. When people upgrade, sometimes their contract agreement specifies they have
to surrender the old phone.

Then again, that might just be what the shop tell you as they make more profit on a second-hand 'phone handed in at contract end than they do on a new connection. Typical margins for a high street mobile chain with around 10 outlets are £30 on a new connection, £20 on a pre-pay (provided it gets connected with the new SIM - if it gets an existing SIM put in they lose money on the deal) and the full price of the handset on a used 'phone.

Typical wholesale cost of an in-car charger for a popular make of phone is £0.70 - that's £15.99 to you, squire.
Typical wholesale cost of an in-car charger for a popular make
of phone is £0.70 - that's £15.99 to you, squire.

Or £2.99 from LIDL, if you get your skates on ;o)

www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040415...s

(note offer only applies until Monday 19th April)
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Welliesorter
Also, I am just assuming that there is no point in
trying to get this fixed as I feel that they are
probably almost "disposable" nowadays, or should I be going down that
road?

Not as disposable as they were two or three years ago when you could buy a pay-as-you-go phone for £20-30. The networks eventually realised that they were subsidising phones to gain new customers who earned them very little in revenue.

Any other phone might not be worth fixing, but Nokias are so ubiquitous that spare parts, and people capable of repairing them, are common.

If you decide to look for a new phone, try www.expansys.com , who sell unconnected ones, or just look for the cheapest pay-as-you-go you can find. Also, look at www.lauriem.plus.com/bargain_basement.html for a number of deals, both unconnected and pay-as-you-go.

If you buy a new pay-as-you-go phone on the same network as your daughter's current phone, her existing SIM is almost certain to work so she can retain her number.

If buying second hand, only buy from someone you trust. Networks now blacklist phones that have been stolen or used for fraudulent insurance claims.
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Vin {P}
If the 3330 has a similar SIM card holder to all the other Nokias I have seen, the solution might be simple. On mine (and everyone at work's) the SIM is held at the edges only. Over time, the SIM bows away from the contacts, so that the slightest jar will cause the phone to switch off. The solution is to make up a little roll of paper and wedge it between the back of the SIM card and the battery/cover. This counteracts the bowing and stops it switching off.

This has happened to literally dozens of people at work and they all benefited from this solution - it's a design fault on Nokias. (Some of the beneficiaries weren't too happy, as they hoped they would get onto a new model of phone - what a sad world we live in.)

HTH

V
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Altea Ego
Clean the battery contacts as well, this is the main cause of "power off syndrome"

Most nokias have the same simple faults. They are made without interconnecting wires. Take one aprt, say a 5210 6210, 6310i etc and they are made the same way. Two circuit boards, that connect by pins and pads, the display again pins and pads, aerial and vibrator the same. The screws come out the back and the whole lot separates into its components. So clean all the pins and pads (DONT TOUCH THE DISPLAY PINS!!!!) and reasemble.
Viola two more years of nokia reliability.

you will need a very small torx driver (8 i think might be a 6) to remove the screws - £1.50 down any computer fair.

My tally to date is 12 repaired Nokias.!!! (and one screwed up Savy!!!)
My tally to date is 12 repaired Nokias.!!! (and one screwed
up Savy!!!)

Ah, the Savvy. What a hideous little 'phone that was. Impossible to get into without damaging the casing and not overly reliable.

Just a thought - for about £60 you can get a new SIM-free Nokia 1100 if you shop around. A back-to-basics 'phone that is really rather robust. Small price to pay for piece of mind, especially given the "emergency" nature of the 'phone.
you will need a very small torx driver (8 i think
might be a 6) to remove the screws....

A watchmakers screwdriver kit will also do the job.
RF, assuming I get the size of Torx that I require, I assume when you take the six screws out, the phone separates into two? What am I looking for after that - just metal contacts? Whats best to clean them with?
A 2p coin same as my old Scalextric track?????
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Dalglish
>>
Does anyone know of any websites that sell trade in phones
or cheap handests, not looking for an up to date one,
just one for her to keep for emergency? I can do
google searches etc but hoping that someone has actual experience that
could advise me of a specific retailer?

if you really want 2nd hand phones all legit without sims, try
computer exchange
www1.cex.co.uk/Phones/

but why bother with that? when a really good deal for an up-to-date phone with sim can be yours - probably even cheaper than a 2nd-hand simless - try
www.buyphoneonline.co.uk/
re the offer from
www.buyphoneonline.co.uk/

i have no connection with the company.

but note that they are offering a buy one get one free deal

t-mobile 750 free minutes and 50 free texts a month plan

which means that for just £3.50 per month = £42 for one year, you get TWO phones both with those free minutes and texts!!
in other words, each phone costs just under 40p per week inclusive of the free minutes and texts.
explains how kids are seen texting away without any worries about costs.
That deal just seems to be just too good!!!
Pay up front and then they will send you a cheque afterwards?
Sounds a bit dodgy to me!

But thanks for all the suggestions especially about repairing the actual phone - will give that a try, nothing to lose and everything to gain! Always find it very satisfying when I have what appears to be a lost cause and I manage to fix it!!
That deal just seems to be just too good!!!
Pay up front and then they will send you a cheque
afterwards?
Sounds a bit dodgy to me!

The shop have to claim a rebate back from the airtime provider (in this instance T-Mobile) once the 'phone is connected. This is usually done on a month-end return, paid in arrears. For a small business or one with tight margins, the cashflow implications of allowing the customer to have the money up front when they have a right to cancel the contract in the first 14 days are horrendous.

Common practice in the mobile retail industry - unless you are a large player - mobilephoneshed or something like that? In which case you charge dramatically over the odds on recent 'phones using simplified menu pricing to improve your bottom line.

How they continue to sell the latest 'phones at those prices beggars belief.
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Mark (RLBS)
Look at the free minutes - are there restrictions as to how or when they may be used ?

They could be off-peak minutes, they could be t-mobile to t-mobile only etc etc.
Look at the free minutes - are there restrictions as to
how or when they may be used ?
They could be off-peak minutes, they could be t-mobile to t-mobile
only etc etc.

for a total commitment of £42 over 12 months, you get two phones plus two sim cards.

both phones get the same t-mobile freetime 750 plan.

the t-mobile 750 plan tariff can be checked out on

www.buyphoneonline.co.uk/Monthly%20121.htm
or
www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?pf=Call+off-peak&men...p

i was told of this offer by a friend who drives past this shop on the a4 gt.west road.

he says the shop has been there for months and is not fly-by-night operation. he bought this deal in 2003 and got his cash cheque back with no problems.
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Civic8
I have had several nokias 3210 3310 3330 and they all suffered the same problem they did so under warranty.so it wasnt a problem getting them sorted.I was told it was a common problem with nokias and I always had replacement sets sent to me ie cant be fixed.they are very cheap to buy now anyway argos sell a new phone sagem I think £40
Cheap replacement Mobiles - Welliesorter
I walked past my local Woolworths last night. They have a huge poster in the window advertising a Sendo phone on Virgin Mobile for £19.99.

This would be locked to Virgin Mobile so you wouldn't be able to put another network's SIM in it without having it unlocked. Virgin's policy on this may be found at tinyurl.com/a0do .

At that price it's worth considering as long as you don't live in a remote area with no T-Mobile coverage. Virgin use T-Mobile for their network.
Cheap replacement Mobiles - FAO BobbyG - Rebecca {P}
I'm fairly sure I have an old Nokia 5110 (no Sim) & charger lying about at home somewhere. Yours for the cost of postage if it will help.

and if I can find it!
Cheap replacement Mobiles - FAO BobbyG - BobbyG
Rebecca, thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately my daughter had an accident yesterday in school and ended up in hospital getting an operation. So loads of sympathy and the world promised to her if she was brave etc. Think somewhere in the middle of the night a new phone was promised!!!!
Thanks again :)
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - No Do$h
I'm due to upgrade my 'phone and need something with Bluetooth and at least one of the above methods of data transfer so I can keep my eye on you lot whilst sat on the train. Favourites at the moment are the Nokia 6600 and 6230.

I'm currently with Vodafone, restricting me to GPRS. As I understand it, only Orange offer HSCSD in the UK. I'm not aware that any of the mainstream networks offer EDGE yet.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of each method of connectivity and is anyone aware of plans to roll out EDGE on any of the main networks? Are there different standards withing GPRS and HSCSD (you know how it goes, you get v1.6 and they roll out v2.1 the following week). Will I be better off with EDGE when (if) it arrives or should I stick with my trusty 6310 and plough my ill-gotten gains into the new iPAQ 6300 GSM with WiFi when it arrives?

Mark isn't allowed to reply as he will doubtless be getting the iPAQ about 30 seconds after the first one ships to the UK.

Thanks in advance.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - Stargazer {P}
No Dosh,

I'm a complete luddite as far as mobile phones go so I dont know what EDGE, GPRS etc are, but watch out for bluetooth vulnerability, an article in one of the major papers yesterday demonstated how simple it was to hack the phone and extract text messages, pictures and directory information from the unwitting users phone via bluetooth. The manufacturers admitted that there is a major security hole.

See the times on 14th April, the technique is known as 'bluesnarfing'

Have fun!

Ian L.
'bluesnarfing'

Eeeeep! Just read the Bluestumbler site and a couple of articles on Geek.com and zdnet.

Quite why anyone would want to know my gran's 'phone number and when I'm due at the dentist is beyond me, but how worrying is that?

Hmmm, perhaps a little surfing to find some Bluesnarfing software for my iPAQ could cause some hilarity next time I'm sat on the tube.....

>}o, <--- Evil Hacker smiley
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - SpamCan61 {P}
No Dosh;

In terms of data throughput then ?normal? HSCSD is only just a bit faster than normal GSM data : 14.4k as opposed to 9.6k, although it is circuit switched, so throughput should be consistent. I notice the 6600 is capable of supporting HSCSD up to 43k; but I?m not sure what networks in the UK can handle that.

GPRS data throughput can vary significantly, depending on demand, how the network is set up, and what ?class? of GPRS the phone supports. The 6600 goes up to 40k, but this is packet data so throughput is heavily dependant on the level of traffic on the network.

The 6620 is a good each way bet in many respects ( pretty much a 6600 with EDGE) ; but it doesn?t work on GSM 900 networks, so is a limited use in Europe ?D?oh.

In terms of EDGE network roll out I?ll see what I can find in the public domain today?I?m kinda busy testing EDGE base stations at the moment ;-)????.Spam
THank you Mr Spam sir. I had a feeling I might hear from you on this one.
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - Mapmaker
Bluesnarfing seems pretty unworrying, as your telephone has to be switched on to Bluetooth in order to be bluesnarfable (that cannot be a word).
Ah, but when I'm sat on the train my bluetooth is switched on, otherwise I can't continue to Mod you lot from my iPAQ.

Still, switching to a new, more secure and seemingly unbluesnarfable (?!?) 'phone in the very near future.

And my dental appointment is next Friday morning, if anyone is interested. No point in giving you my Gran's number as she isn't in. (make of that what you will)
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - Altea Ego
No but we will all be outside the dentist giggling and waiting for the drill sounds
You'll need a disabled badge or an excuse to visit the Alfa Dealer. It's in Westbourne..... (See disabled parking thread for an idea on how clever the parking is)
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - Altea Ego
Set up a web cam for us then
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - Civic8
I think the article which I`ve heard about not read is actually aimed at those that keep security no`s in the phones wallet.some shop using the phone and store in the wallet credit card no`s.although it is password protected it could still be opened by someone with the knowledge and using bluetooth.I have just bought a sonny/e T610 which does both ir and bluetooth.but I doubt will use the wallet
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - Stargazer {P}
Mech1

The Times article describes how a bluetooth enabled laptop and some custom software can be used to bypass the normal bluetooth access protection on certain Nokia mobiles without the owners knowledge and download and stored data

regards

Ian L.
Err, ND, this isn't the technical board. For us luddites, is it possible to have a translation into English, please? Even if we cannot help, we might be able to put the knowledge to good use ourselves!
Which bit?

HSCSD, GPRS and EDGE are all ways of accessing data on the interweb thingy from one of those newfangled mobile telephones.

All are known as \"Always On\" services, so once activated you remain connected to the webserver for your network. If you did this by dialling in to the network you would be charged by the minute. The Always On services only charge you for the amount accessed/downloaded. Correction. Orange charge per second for HSCSD access. ND

I was asking about the pros and cons as GPRS and HSCSD have been around for a while but I\'ve never got to the bottom of which is meant to be quicker/faster. It seems there are nominal differences from what I\'ve read above. The biggest problem I have with GPRS is that I often use it in busy areas where the available network is already being heavily used. That slows the connection quite dramatically. HSCSD doesn\'t suffer from this, but has other shortcomings. I think Orange only offer it to business customers on pretty expensive packages, so academic really. Addendum. GPRS is around 10kbps whilst HSCSD on Orange will go up to about 28 HSCSD. ND

EDGE is a new system that has yet to be released in the UK. Based on 3G technology (I think), it is monstrously faster than the quickest GPRS connection.

I\'m curious because I have recently started to access this site (and my email) whilst out and about, using my \'phone and iPAQ. This has shown some limitations with the technology so I\'m looking for ways to speed things up, including an upgrade in OS from PocketPC2002 to 2003. (Mark?)

If it\'s BlueJacking and BlueSnarfing you were referring to, a quick google will give you loads of info. In essence it is where people can extract data stored on some older mobile devices equipped with Bluetooth without your knowledge.

ND
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - PoloGirl
Hiya...

I could be stepping way out of my depth here but I've got GPRS on my phone, and can access AOL and my email and some websites, but this one never works - is there a different honestJohn address to use on mobile phones, or have a got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks!

What 'phone have you got? Does it have a web-browser (Opera or similar) or is it just WAP? If it's WAP only then you won't be able to read the content of this site.

To access this site you will need a simbian or "smartphone", something like a Nokia 3650 or 6600 with Opera or a SonyEricsson P800. An XDA or similar will also do the trick. Failing that a PDA with pocketpc and internet explorer works a treat with any GPRS enable phone provided both have bluetooth or you get an appropriate cable to connect them.
Mobiles again. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE - PoloGirl
Ahhhh.... it's an X1 (my second in four months, as it keeps breaking) and it only has WAP. I need an upgrade I think!

Thank you!

(Isn't a mobile telephone what the butler brings to you on a trolley?)

Thanks - it was the various EDGEs that confused me. Do they stand for something (meaningful!) or are they just jokes invented by the techies to confound poor so and sos like me?

I'm too stingy to spend money on anything like that, so I suppose it's all academic anyway! I reckon pay as you go is marvellously cheap. Just occasionally I hanker after something sophisticated - I have an IR port on my phone, so I can use my laptop if I really really want to, at about 9 bits per month. This GPS lark got me over-excited.
EDGE
Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution

EDGE is a technology that gives GSMA and TDMA similar capacity to handle services for the third generation of mobile telephony. EDGE was developed to enable the transmission of large amounts of data at a high speed of 384 kilobits per second. EDGE is also referred to as E-GPRS (abbreviation for Enhanced GPRS).

HSCSD
High Speed Circuit Switched Data

HSCSD is a circuit-linked technology for higher transmission speeds, up to 57 kilobits per second, primarily in GSM systems.

GPRS
General Package Radio Service

GPRS is a standard for wireless communications which runs at speeds up to 150 kilobits per second. The current GSM (see GSM) systems only reach 9,6 kilobits. GPRS, which supports a wide range of bandwidths is an efficient use of limited bandwidth and is particularly suited for sending and receiving small bursts of data, such as e-mail and Web browsing, as well as large volumes of data.

This and other techy comms speak can be found at www.derdack.com/support/glossary.html

It\'s a good thing it\'s quiet at work this week.
Flippin 'eck ND...are you after my job? ;-) I'm intrigued as to how anyone can get 57k out of HSCSD : it's 14.4k on GSM and 3*14.2k = 43.2k using EDGE, although a circuit switched 43k connection sounds rather bandwidth hungry, I'm not convinced many network operators will want to support that.

My challenge for the morning has been to try and confirm that a Nokia 6820 supports GPRS as well as EGPRS, the website is not 100% clear on this. It's elder brother the 6800 is favourite phone amongst my co-workers at the moment, although Growler doesn't sound overly impressed with his 6820;-/. Personally I'm still using a 9210i, which is excellent for SMS / e-mail usage, but not exactly pocket sized...

UK operators seem very coy about EDGE roll-out by and large, it's been very much USA focussed, as the brief summary linked below shows... www.cellular-news.com/story/9310.shtml

Flippin 'eck ND...are you after my job? ;-)

Always keen to diversify and add to my portfolio...... :o)
My challenge for the morning has been to try and confirm
that a Nokia 6820 supports GPRS as well as EGPRS, the
website is not 100% clear on this. It's elder brother the
6800 is favourite phone amongst my co-workers at the moment, although
Growler doesn't sound overly impressed with his 6820;-/.

Not keen on the 6800 range. That keyboard just looks like a brittle connection looking for somewhere to happen. 6600 is starting to look interesting, given the current lack of info on EDGE. By the time it goes live I will be due my next upgrade anyway!

Cheers for the link.
>>That keyboard just looks like a brittle connection looking for somewhere to happen.

Yes it does look a little 'fragile'...but I know at least a couple of dozen 6800 users , and no-one has broken one in two (yet).

I've not used a 6600 for any length of time; but I have had a play with one, and it does seem pretty slick in operation : probably a good bet for now, looks like it could be a while before EDGE is widely available in the UK.
Thanks, ND. Even if the definitions rely on other definitions, and your link comes up with http 404...

A far cry from the 5 free text messages per day for life that I bought for £15 from Orange with my pay as you go 3 years ago when I was the last person in the world to buy a mobile... I thought text messages were pretty impressive!
Thanks, ND. Even if the definitions rely on other definitions,
and your link comes up with http 404...

Ooopsy. Link amended.
Opinions on Olympus Mju Digital Camera - borasport20
Moved from \"Driving to Austria\" www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=19...3 ND
Maps? Maps? Get yourself an iPAQ with satnav.
You know you want to.....
Alternatively, if you have a Nokia 6600, £249 will get you
the Wayfarer GPS package. Looks interesting......

yes, yes, I know I want to, but it would be a bit of a waste the other 50 weeks of the year travelling from Wigan to Bolton, and IF I had a couple of hundred quid spare, I\'d be wanting an Olympus mju 400 first....

just \'cos I know what I\'m saying doesn\'t mean I know what I\'m talking about

Opinions on Olympus Mju Digital Camera - No Do$h
yes, yes, I know I want to, but it would be
a bit of a waste the other 50 weeks of the
year travelling from Wigan to Bolton, and IF I had a
couple of hundred quid spare, I\'d be wanting an Olympus mju
400 first....

Coincidentally I just bought one of these for Mrs ND. No, tell a lie, it was the Mju 300. There\'s a bit of a delay between pressing the button and the pic being taken, but you can counter this by pressing halfway to get the metering and focussing out of the way, then snapping.

Lots of shots of people moving off after seeing the shutter finger press down for the first week or so.....
Opinions on Olympus Mju Digital Camera - borasport20
ND - i\'ll bear that in mind - i\'ve also seen mention of a problem with the sliding cover catching on the lens and causing problems.

The reason i want a mju (300/400, it doesnt matter) is its metal case and \'weatherproofing\' - do you think it will stand up to just being shoved in a pocket with keys and things ?

Mike

just \'cos I know what I\'m saying doesn\'t mean I know what I\'m talking about

Opinions on Olympus Mju Digital Camera - No Do$h
I picked the Mju for the same reason. Mrs ND wanted something that she could take out on landscaping jobs to take snaps to go with the design drawings so it had to be fairly simple to use and not prone to breaking if used in the rain.

One problem you will find is that you have to stick it in your pocket with the lens end uppermost. If you do it the other way around, the act of slipping it in your pocket will slide the lens cover back and switch the darn thing on. Have several shots of the inside of mine and Mrs ND\'s pockets as testimony to this. There is also the danger that a key or similar will damage the LCD or switch on the screen and so drain the battery.

NOT really a \"stick it in your pocket\" camera in that respect, but then none of them are if they have an LCD screen. We\'ve got round this by using a \"Bodyglove\" Neoprene mobile \'phone case. Protects it from getting gouged/squeezed etc, absorbs the bumps if it\'s dropped and quick/easy access to the camera when needed. Stops the lens cover sliding across as well.

As regards the lens catching, you would have to be shutting the cover with quite a bit of force as it has a \"first stop\" position that it won\'t pass until the lens retracts. I\'ll keep my eye on it though.

ND

PS. I\'ll move this Mju related stuff over to I Have A Question later this evening.
Opinions on Olympus Mju Digital Camera - smokie
I remember my first pics from Le Mans of racing cars moving at over 100 mph on my new digital cam.

Or rather, an empty spot of track where the car was when I pressed the button...

I still get a lot of shots where the car isn\'t central, but so long as I capture the whole car then I can edit the pics afterwards.
Opinions on Olympus Mju Digital Camera - Jane
Here's a review of the 300 from the EPhotozine website:

www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?...9

Very good website with the added benefit of having Practical Photography Magazines new website linked to it....try out the forum for helpful advice from people who know!! (much like here really!)

www.ephotozine.com/pp/

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
DVD Recorder or PC? - andymc {P}
I've been on the lookout for something to replace the rather obsolete VCR in our living room, which has developed an appetite for tapes in spite of being repaired & serviced. I don't really want to wait too much longer to replace it, as it's becoming a bit of a pain to live with. I've spent some time downloading reviews of various DVD recorders, so DVD-R and DVD-RW seem to be the best format to go for. Had more or less decided on a Panasonic DMRE50EBS DVD recorder a few months ago, but thought I would wait until the price dropped a bit. By now, the price has come down a little, but the machine itself seems to be significantly superseded by the DMRE100, which features an 80 GB RAM hard drive. This can be bought online for around £760, which is the absolute top end of what I can afford.

This is an unusual purchase for me (I don't usually have that sort of money to throw around) so I don't want to make a decision I'll regret, and also want to get the best value for money I can. I am unlikely to replace whatever I end up buying for at least 5 years. At that sort of price, I wonder whether it would be better to buy a PC with built-in DVD-R recorder and a TV card/tuner. Does such a thing exist at all, and in that sort of price range or less?
andymc
DVD Recorder or PC? - smokie
Have you considered a PVR? I have a TiVo, and Mrs S considers it one of the best purchases we have made over the past 18 months (the other being SmartNav, just for RFs benefit :-) ). Details of the device are at www.tivo.co.uk

UK TiVo's are no longer in production but are still available new through www.tivoland.com, and there are also new and second hand ones regularly for sale on eBay.

I am not familiar with the DVD machines you are looking at, but TiVo downloads electronic programme data on a daily basis (usually having about a two week view).

You can select a whole series to record, and it will take care of time changes and not recording repeats etc, and it will also do predictive recording - i.e. fill it's disk with programmes from similar genres to those which you regularly watch/record (but these will get deleted for a schedled recording). You can ask it to record everything with a specific actor in, or other choices.

TiVolands big systems is £359 + p&p, which gives you enormous amounts of space. Added to that, you'd buy a lifetime sub (£199, this brings you the programme data) and, if you wanted it, network connectivity hardware. Of course, if you are PC literate you could buy the bits and upgrade yourself (I did)

The device contains a 40Gb disk and you have all the features of Sky+ (e.g. pause live tv), plus a few more. If you are at all handy with computers there is a vast array of updates for your TiVo, including increasing disk space, and attaching your TiVo to the internet so it can send you daily emails about it's status. I can also control mine from any internet connection anywhere. You have the option to dump programmes to tape and, I presume, to writable DVD.

There is a very handy forum at www.tivocommunity.com, especially the UK section. Hope that is helpful, just ask if you need to know more

DVD Recorder or PC? - Altea Ego
Firstly a DVD recorder is NO substitute for a video recorder. They are fine for things you want to keep, but not the best medium for 1-2 hour temporary recordings.

The Tivio or other PVR's are good but at the price smokie paid i could build a PC (check out "shuttle" type pcs) and for a few quid more turn it into a media centre (tv, dvd, video, hifi network radio etc)

Which is the whole rub of the matter. In 5 years we will buying media centres.

So buy another video - dirt cheap now. and save up for a media centre later.
DVD Recorder or PC? - Altea Ego
www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/402_162205.html

60 quid
DVD Recorder or PC? - Dynamic Dave
Had more or less decided on a Panasonic DMRE50EBS DVD
recorder a few months ago, but the machine itself seems
to be significantly superseded by the DMRE100, which
features an 80 GB RAM hard drive. This can be bought online
for around £760....

For that sort of money you could buy yourself something like a Compaq or Packard Bell from PC world with a built in DVD recorder. For another £40 on top of that fit in a WinTV tuner card into one of the spare PCI slots.

You mention DVD-R media; I recall an argument a little while ago similar to the old VHS / Betamax video recorders "war". ie, out of the two formats, that being DVD-R and DVD+R, only one format will eventually win. Might be worth considering getting a multiformat reader that can cope with both + and - DVD media.

That aside, I see Woolworths are currently selling DVD recorders with built in TV tuners for approx £179.

DVD Recorder or PC? - DavidHM
We're getting dangerously close to the PC thread, but the Compaq 6150 plus a digital TV card would be about £500 from PC World. www.pcworld.co.uk but you can't link directly to the product on the site; £760 sounds like a lot of money.

I'd personally go for the Argos Freeview box and PVR (only 20GB though) which is under £200. tinyurl.com/2hgnv

You could then back that up with one of the cheap DVD recorders; presumably if they have a line in and the Freeview box has a line out, you could then use them to archive what you've taped on the PVR. Total cost then around £400 all in.
DVD Recorder or PC? - Jane
This DVD recorder was deemed to be the Best Buy by Which? Magazine...this is their review:

"If you're looking for a DVD recorder, we can now recommend the Panasonic DMRE50EBS. At £299, it's one of the most affordable we've seen yet, performs very well and, for a DVD recorder, is relatively easy to use. However, a word of caution, remember that DVD recorders are harder to use than VCRs and are definitely not for the technically faint-hearted. This model uses DVD-Ram, the most versatile recording system with features such as simultaneous recording and playback.

It's widely available on the high street, in Powerhouse for £299, or online for £277 from www.dabs.com.

The other models we looked at were far more expensive (at least double the price) and not as easy to use."

It also had a note to say: "Before you invest in a DVD player, make sure your TV has a Scart input"

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
DVD Recorder or PC? - Welliesorter
Firstly a DVD recorder is NO substitute for a video recorder.
They are fine for things you want to keep, but not
the best medium for 1-2 hour temporary recordings.

Why? I know a few people who've bought them as direct replacements for VCRs.

I've been pondering this one myself as my VCR is 11 years old and probably nearing the end of its useful life. It cost about £280 in 1993 (this seemed a bargain at the time!) which would be about the price of a basic Philips DVD recorder now.

I'd agree that the ideal would be a recorder that has a hard drive for time shift recording and records on DVD for things you want to keep. As these are still horribly expensive, I'm minded to buy a cheap VCR to tide me over and wait for prices to come down.

Given the rate of technological change and price falls, I've never regretted putting off buying an electronic device. My guess is that if you buy a cheap VCR now, and the DVD recorder of your dreams in a year or two, you'll have spent less money overall and will still have something that plays your old tapes.

I have little experience of using a PC as a video recorder but my gut feeling is that it's probably more trouble than it's worth for everyday use.
Old style number plates non-refelective - Armitage Shanks{P}
I know that at some date well in the past numberplates changed from stamped metal to plastic/reflective, was it in the early 70s? Anyway, if you have a cherished plate that would have been legal on a car back in the 70s, is it still legal to use it in its metal form on a 2004 new car?
Old style number plates non-refelective - Doc
No!

Only vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 may display traditional style "black and white" plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate.

Moles - smokie
In thread 38 someone was asking about moles. Maplin have just sent me their latest newletter with this device www.maplin.co.uk/default.asp?CartID=10759015&useri...4

Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - No Do$h
My mother is currently trying to sell her property as she has been rattling around in it since my father passed away 3 years ago.

The property is a large bungalow, laid out in a staple-shape with a double garage forming one of the staple "legs". The front door is in the recess.

Shortly after moving in to the property (around 1998) my father arranged for a porch to be built, partially filling the recess between the legs. Now that it is time to sell, somebody has decided that despite the size and location of the porch being within the permitted limits for NOT requiring planning permission, the fact that it is adjacent to the garage means that full permission may be required.

Is anyone aware of any building regs that limit an otherwise permitted development when it is adjacent to a domestic garage? The local planning department are being less than helpful and my mother has asked me to prepare drawings for them (well, I need to use that A-level in Engineering Drawing for something!).

ND
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - Stargazer {P}
No Dosh,

For chapter and verse of permitted developments see

www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_4.htm

Basically a lot depends on the area of the porch, the maximum height, distance to the road, sections a-d of the above reference are applicable.

Do you still have the original advisement from the planning dept that the porch is within permitted development?

regards

Ian L.
Hi Ian,

I'll have a look at that link in a moment. As regards the advice that it was a permitted development, that's the problem. My father looked at the regulations for these, established that it met all the criteria re distance from highway, height, area etc and just went ahead without contacting the planning department.

Doh!

Having said that, I have also looked into what is required as I'm due to replace my crumbling garage later this year and the rules are pretty clear on what is permitted, so I can see why he went ahead as he did, I just wish he hadn't.
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - Stargazer {P}
ND,

Just a quick reply, off to pick up daughter, I cant see anything
in the reference that the proximity to the garage would affect. The front of the building is defined as the furthest forward point (ie front of garage).

The size of a porch might be a problem (it might be an extension rather than a porch).

Also have any other extensions been made since 1940something...that might have used up the permitted developments

back tomorrow

Ian L.
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - Mark (RLBS)
If its been there 5 years, then you're pretty well safe and the local planning people have got nothing to say about it and you do not need to apply for retrospective permission.

I've got the actual regs. at home if you can wait until tomorrow.

M.

Cheers Mark, that would be great.
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - Mapmaker
Do you mean building regs or planning regs? You refer to both.

On the planning front, Mark has addressed the 'out of time' issue.

Building regs however don't ever go 'out of time'. (These are the ones that don't let you put a downpipe next to a central heating exhaust.) Approval is merely a matter of fact - either you have built a wall or you have jerry-built a wall!
The local planning dept. are talking in terms of planning permission (which I agree shouldn't be an issue given size, time in-situ etc.) but I'm getting this all second-hand from my rather fraught mother.

Given the reference to proximity to a garage I wonder if it is actually building regs that may prove to be the problem. As well as having a front door, the porch has a door through into the garage. This is a proper fire door with a spring return, so again I can't see this being an issue.

Apart from the place being too large for mum, some of the neighbours have been distinctly hostile towards her since my dad died, constantly blocking her drive with inconsiderate parking and throwing all kinds of debris into her garden (not what you expect from the residents of £500k properties, but it just goes to show it takes all sorts). She's worried that if the council insist on permission being sought, they will continue this harassment by objecting in every way possible to the porch, which they can't even see.
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - Mapmaker
If the door is an issue, brick it up!
You may be joking, but if that is the problem it's exactly what I'm going to tell mum to do.
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - matt35 {P}
Alan,

I agree with mapmaker - brick it up!

But only after you have got the pfd's, who are abusing the peace of your Mother, inside.

Isn't there a very clear parallel between the the driving habits that we discuss on the BB and the neighbours you describe?

Matt35.

But only after you have got the pfd's, who are abusing
the peace of your Mother, inside.
Isn't there a very clear parallel between the the driving habits
that we discuss on the BB and the neighbours you describe?

OOoooh, I'd love to go and see the little Guanos, but they are the sort that think it's great fun to intimidate a single lady in her 60s, but wouldn't hesitate to call the police if I started to "have words". It's easier on mum just to try and smooth the passage of her move.

Then I'll nip back under cover of darkness and leave a message they will find it hard to ignore. Weedkiller makes a remarkably effective marker pen when you use it to write on people's lawns......
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - matt35 {P}
Alan,

Keep in mind the words of JFK;

"Don't get mad - get even."

Matt.
Planning - new porch adjacent to garage - NVH
Bought a house last year with a small conservatory. No record of planning consent or application etc.
Council planning office confirmed on phone no permission required ( over 5 years, area less than 25% etc).
Wrote to council with details.
Council replied with confirming letter within a week at cost of £25 or so.
Mother lives in adjacent local authority which has been equally helpful but much slower.

I think planning will be ok as 5 years has elapsed. Where we may have the problem is the building regs as there are no drawings etc. for the porch.

Following advice from Mark I will get an architect to put some drawings together and submit these to get the building regs signed off.