Oil Warning Light - Toyota Camry - Greg R
My father has a Toyota Camry 1984 turbo diesel with 265,000 miles. Just recently, the oil warning light was initially going off and on. I checked the oil and it was full. Now, it is on constantly in the town in slow traffic whilst the light goes out at 40mph .

What could this be? The oil is full, and yet the light goes on.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Oil Warning Light - Toyota Camry - Aprilia
Maybe the engine is getting a bit worn?

Try a heavier oil and see if that helps.
PS - it could be the pressure switch - get the *actual* pressure checked by a garage. Any garage should be able to do this.
Oil Warning Light - Toyota Camry - GS
I agree - most likely to be the oil pressure switch. The symptoms you descibe happened to me in a Rover 3500 and a new oil pressure switch cured the problem.
Oil Warning Light - Toyota Camry - Greg R
Thanks for your comments. The oil pressure switch will be changed soon.

A question for Aprilia: which area do you live in? I understand you are a mechanic. It would be great if you were in the sussex area!
Live in Midlands. Spend quite a bit of time working in Germany (for a well-known prestige car manufacturer).
Used to be a mechanic many moons ago (I'm getting a bit grey-haired and snaggle-toothed now) - father and grandfather were in the motor trade. Nowadays I work on the design side as a consultant - very much office-based - hence on here quite a bit!
Oil Warning Light - Toyota Camry - Armitage Shanks{P}
Another possibility is the combination of a worn engine which needs more flow thru it to produce a given pressure reading and a worn oil pump that can't produce that pressure. At higher revs the pump output is higher and out goes the light. In traffic, warm oil + low rpm, light comes on. It isn't likely to be terminal and it is obviously best to check the pressure switch first but my small bet would be on a combination of engine and oil pump wear. Good luck in any event!