IAM Essex - Young Drivers Offer - matt35 {P}
A wee bit of advertising, if permitted...?

Chelmsford IAM Group are offering a full refund of the £75-00 fee for young drivers under 21 taking the course and passing the test.
Also - a refund of £40-00 for drivers aged 22/25 taking the course and passing the test.

Details on chelmsford@groups.iam.org.uk

One in three crashes involve young drivers under the age of 20 - only 7% of road users are under 21, but account for 12%of drivers injured in road accidents.

Rant over.

Matt35
IAM Essex - Young Drivers Offer - cockle {P}
Certainly not a rant matt, more power to your elbow, the better training available the better. I would imagine the main barrier to the younger fraternity taking on this type of training would be the cost as it would come some way down the list after insurance premiums etc. My eldest will be turning 17 next year and I will certainly make sure that he gets as much of the right training as possible.
Keep up the good work.

Cockle
Cockle,

It is my understanding that this offer runs until March 31 2005 -
keep your eye on the website for your kid!

One of many calls today was from a Mother - her young daughter was driving North on the A12 last week and ran into an accident scene - car written off, boyfriend still in Hospital.

Despite the image of 'Old Cardigans' - we Observers work for nothing, enjoy our driving and passing on our experiences/mistakes to others.

Matt35
IAM Essex - Young Drivers Offer - Ben79
I went to an Annual General Meeting at an IAM group. The minutes noted that the committee thought the £10 discount for young motorists was unfair as the young have more money.

At less than 2 tanks of diesel or 10% of a years insurance, I consider the £75 I have just paid (through another group) to be very good value and look forward to getting more involved in the group.

I have a meeting with the training officer on Friday who seemed surprised that I insisted that I drive to see him rather than him giving up 2 hours of his time and 60 miles of fuel.

Hopefully I will get to enjoy my car even more.
SeeFive,

Many of the new young drivers we get have had the membership paid by their parents - anxious to have their children drive safely.
Not only will you enjoy your car even more - your car will last you longer due to better driving technique, staying away from nutters, and maybe getting cheaper insurance.

Matt35.
IAM Essex - Young Drivers Offer - vercin
Matt35,

I heartily endorse your posting. I've got my 3rd observed drive coming up with the local Herts/Essex Group. They are very good and I am finding it very useful, even though I am outside the age range you are discussing!

I am never too old to learn.

Regards

Vercin
Vercin,
My oldest pass, so far, was a young 72 year old...never seen one happier to stick the IAM sticker on the rear window!

Matt35.