Conversion to veggie oil - far0n
For a peugeot 306 with 130,000 miles on it. Was gonna try to run it for a while on this stuff just out of sheer curiosity more than anything. Before I flog it I was going to try it for a month or so. What is the recommended blend with methanol/white spirit ? Do you need pre-heaters and stuff ?
Conversion to veggie oil - Sooty Tailpipes
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17117

You'll never have the same answer from everyone, some will tell you to alter the fuel, some say alter the car, then all manner of different ways, It's more of an art than a science.
Conversion to veggie oil - andymc {P}
There does seem to be some doubt about the dilution with white spirit in terms of the potential long-term harm that combusting white spirit can do to cylinders, as well as the fact that there are several substances given the generic name "white spirit", but which may not all be suitable for the purpose of thinning vegetable oil. As Sooty says, some people will swear by that method where others are committed fans of the preheating method. Getting late now, but I can hunt out a few links to sites about preheating with or without twin tank systems, which I'll post tomorrow if nobody else does.
andymc
Conversion to veggie oil - Dude - {P}
I see the EEC are encouraging the use of biofuels by recently approving a scheme to introduce a reduced rate of excise duty of 20p below the duty on ultra low sulphur petrol from January 2005 until December 2010.

www.e4engineering.com/item.asp?id=51158&type=News&...e
Conversion to veggie oil - Jazzmag
The crux of the problem is to reduce the viscosity of the oil to that of diesel. Diesel has a pretty constant value of a few centistokes from around -20 to over 100C. Straight veg oil (SVO) only gets to a useable viscosity around 80C, dropping to a value around 10 ? 15 centistokes. Most injector pumps will run happily on anything below 20 centistokes, but Lucas / CAV pumps have shown themselves to be less reliable than say, equivalent Bosch units.

More robust pumps will allow you to start up on oil, but Lucas units will require starting (and cool down) on diesel fuel. Cold oil on start up heavily stresses the pump rotor, causing it to eventually fail. It seems that Pug fitted a lot of Lucas pumps on their engines - better check yours before you make an expensive mistake!

That said, I?ve run the Lucas pump on my old Pug 309 for 4,000miles on heated SVO, but starting and cooling down diesel.

The conflicting info over white spirit is the large variation in quality, with some folks using ?turpentine substitute?, a poorer quality white spirit.

From my own experience, with the Pug, white spirit did indeed give variable results. On a cold day the engine was decidedly unhappy, with lots of white smoke and engine 'hunting' until warm.

An excellent source of information can be found at:

www.goatindustries.co.uk/forum/index.php