DVLA bungle - steve_m
Before Xmas I received a 'nice' letter from DVLALO Enforcement Centre saying that my car was not licenced and issuing all kinds of nasty threats if I did not pay up by 10 January. The point is the car was licenced and I had the tax disc to prove it plus details of the cheque paid to the Post Office. Despite three letters including one with a copy of the tax disc (all unanswered) and attempts to phone them (engaged from 9am onwards)I still have not had any reply.

What should I do? Anyone else had this experience?

Steve
DVLA bungle - Dwight Van Driver
There was no rubber on the cheque was there???

Retain the evidence and wait for developments. DVLA will not yet be back up to speed after the Xmas recess.

DVD
DVLA bungle - Dwight Van Driver
..............or better still, if you are near a DVL Local Office call in and have a face to face to resolve.

DVD
DVLA bungle - Robbie
I had a problem last year because I had renewed my tax early, as I was off to France for six weeks. What a performance. Eventually I managed to tax the car through a head post office by mail. The post office failed to notify the DVLA apparently, and I kept receiving demands, which I, at first, ignored. Eventually, I sent by e-mail a copy of my tax disc and details about my renewal. I had to nudge them for a reply but it was all sorted. Suggest you do the same.
DVLA bungle - Lights
I am afraid that I am not able to offer any constructive advice at all as I am in a similar position myself. I paid a £75.00 fine to the DVLA over the telephone by debit card and they are now sending bailiffs to my door and threatening a warrant for my arrest for none payment of the fine. Again, despite numerous telephone calls and letters enclosing copies of the bank statement confirming payment I have got nowhere. I am also at a loss as to what do do. Did you manage to get everything sorted out?
DVLA bungle - Falkirk Bairn
This is harassment and against the law.

Send a registered letter containing copies of the tax disc etc.

Inform them of the consequences

1) From 3 days after date of letter you will bill them £25 for each phone call you receive from them / debt collectors, £50 for each letter replying to threatening Bailiffs etc

You can take them to the small claims court if they do not pay.

2) Failure to reply apologising etc - in 10 days you will contact the family solicitor and all charges made by him will be billed to the DVLA.

3) Send a copy to your local MP.
DVLA bungle - Andrew-T
FB - are you expecting us to take your suggestions seriously? What grounds would anyone have for charging the DVLA (or anyone else) for receiving a phone call or a letter? It is just deliberately adding your insult to their injury.

Not condoning any mistakes by DVLA, but I can't see any purpose in what you suggest, except that it would make you feel better. And the rest of us would pay (indirectly) for any recompense you got.
DVLA bungle - jbif
FB - are you expecting us to take your suggestions seriously?

If I may second FB's post, and so reply to your question.

See
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/26/debt_collection/
"Debt collection can be harassment, rules court
26th February 2009 08:16 GMT"

More people should follow FB's suggestion. I did this to a Cable TV provider about 4 years ago, and the matter was settled out of court with a handsome payment and written apologies from the Cable company as well as their Debt Collection Agency.

DVLA bungle - Robbie
I did the same thing with Bradford Pennine insurance many years ago -1975.

My car had been damaged by one of their insured, and they refused to pay for the cost of a hire car because I was in receipt of a car allowance. After a number of futile calls and missives to them, I sent them a letter outlining my mileage costs for dealing with the hit and run driver, together with a charge of £1.50 for each letter. They replied to say that they could see no basis for my charges. I then replied, and added the cost of that letter, and informed them that If they didn't pay up within fourteen days I would institute legal proceedings. They again refused so I saw a solicitor.

The outcome was that my claim was paid in full. They also had to pay the solicitor's costs.