Cruise Control - nappie
I want to retro-fit cruise control to my 2000 W Astra 1.8CDi.
I know I need a new left side stalk and maybe some loom mods., but
Lance Owen are telling me I need a new ECU at £500 ex-VAT. As there is only one model ECU for this car range I am puzzled why a new one is necessary. Can't an existing ECU be re-programmed?
Re: Cruise Control - Andrew Hamilton
If you are in the UK driving on our crowded roads please don't do it. Cruise control confuses following motorists when driver brakes to disconnect it. Following driver sees brake lights, thinks there is a problem and he brakes. In crowded road can lead to concertina braking.
Re: Cruise Control - Stuart B
At the risk of repeating myself, cruise control on busy roads is not a good idea, but on an empty motorway is fine IMHO.

Plus with all due respect disengaging it by braking is just being lazy, that is what the off button is for!
Re: Cruise Control - Colin J
I can't speak for GM ECU's but when I worked with Rover MEMS units (around 5 years ago) they had many variants of ECU and in a few cases it was just the software that needed upgrading.

However, in the case of a vehicle with cruise control this would also have additional circuitry in the ECU to monitor the extra inputs. I would be surprised if GM have one ECU that covers the whole Astra range.

Colin J