Can someone please identify this!! - nicdigby
There's a monitor of some sorts on a busy road near us (A316 at Twickenham) and my husband and I are arguing about what it could be. He says it's an outlet for the local sewage plant, but I think this is nonsense! (why would they allow that??) Please help us solve our dilemma with your suggestions as to what it could be for. Whoever loses has to pay for the next dinner for two so there's a lot at stake! The monitor/outlet is the same height as a zebra crossing beacon, but the pole is entirely black plastic and the head is also encased in black plastic and is flatter and taller than a zebra crossing beacon head. There are no other markings and it's just by the side of the road...I can't find a picture of one on the internet anywhere. ANY IDEAS ANYONE?!
Can someone please identify this!! - Oz
Not a new as-yet-unveiled speed camera by any chance? This stretch of road is already peppered with 40 mph Gatso's.
Oz (as was)
Can someone please identify this!! - v8man
It might be the new generation of mobile phone masts. We have lots them down here in sunny Eastbourne.
Can someone please identify this!! - runboy
Does the box at the top of the pole contain solar panels?

I have seen some black poles, about the height you say, which are used to power weather instruments at the side of the road.