Self employment - Market Niche?? - Hugo {P}
I am due to see an advise about self employment next week and have two ideas that I could possibly pursue individually or together.

I just wondered what the more seasoned back roomers may think of the possible earning potential of these.

I've yet to do my sums btw

The first is vehicle transport and collection. NOT recovery, though I could offer cheaper brakedown assistance.

This would be using a 4 x 4 and a trailer to transport cars (modern or classic) or unfinished projects around the west country or further afield, or to remove MOT failures and take them to the local scrap yard, who doesn't collect. The use of a 4 x 4 and a decent trailer would surely keep the overheads lower than an old AA pickup truck or such like, plus the 4 x 4 would double as our SDP vehicle.

I could diversify into small marine craft (up to 22ft) transport with the right equipment in time.

Currently it costs £25 for local pick up for MOT failures, which are taken up to 5 miles away. The chap uses an HGV with a lift. However, he also does general haulage and is not short of work. He will be paying HGV tax, which I guess would be more than the total running costs of both my car and trailer.

The other idea is to buy a small fleet of trailers for hire. I used to work for a trailer hire company and the revenue was quite remarkable. The closest trailer hire company to this area is some 20 miles away, so if you're going to hire that tipper trailer to clear your garden and take the refuse to the tip, you've got to go an extra 80 miles (2 return trips) to take the trailer there and bring it back. I live in a rural area with two towns each about 3 or 4 miles away. The only slight downside is that people do tend to be fairly resourseful when trailers need to be counjered up. Beg, borrow or convert the caravan etc - This is Cornwall after all!

As suggested earlier, the two ideas could be combined. Say 1 car transporter trailer and a towing dolly for hire to both trade and private, a couple of heavy duty 1/2 or 1 tonne tippers and maybe a box van to start.

I could then offer to tow any of these for the punter at an extra cost, so they have the choice.

Any thoughts?

Hugo

"Forever indebted to experience of others"
Self employment - Market Niche?? - Vansboy
Your biggest problem, other than finding enough work to provide a steady income, will be the insurance costs.

Have you spoken to a broker yet? You will be in the realms of motor trade related cover, so high premiuims anyway. Public liability for carrying commercial waste - you'll need to be licienced to do so,won't be cheap.

Vehicle delivery is at VERY cut throat costs, in most of the country, not sure about your area, though.

Talk to local garages & see how much they would pay you to bring back vehicles they purchased, on their auction buying days.Guess they would usually have them on transporter, to make the numbers up & keep cost down, to them.
But if you've got the car & trailer to pay for, best keep your options as wide as possible, which it looks like you've done.

I wouldn't fancy the trailer hire idea, can see lots of repairs & maintainence being needed. I shouldn't think a hirer would look after something he's only going to fill with trash, use it as fast as he can & hand back to you!

Insurance dear, again, here, too.

If you can make it work, option 1 sounds better. Think about buying a second trailer for motorbike movements - see Pugugly's post last weekend - wonder if he's warmed up yet?

Good luck!!

VB
Self employment - Market Niche?? - alan kearn
I would think that this type of business would find difficulty in being succsessful using word of mouth only. The possible solution is advertising but this could be expensive. I hope you are succsessful if you do give it a crack.