Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - mikem004
My car heater is of no use until the engine has fully warmed up (a couple of miles or so). Nissan Micra K11.
Yet I sometimes read postings about clearing ice from car windscreens in the morning which advise drivers to first of all start the engine and turn the screen fan heater on.
I was always under the impression that a cold fan heater would be of no use in clearing ice. In fact, it would seem to cause internal misting as well.

So I normally avoid using the car heater until I am off and running and the engine has warmed up fully. Is this a good technique for icy mornings?

Mike
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Start engine, put full demist on screen, pour hot water on screen, (I use a plastic milk carrier).
Drive off. Works for me.Never had a car garaged in 30 years.
Slow warm up? Replace thermostat- there may be an option of one opening at a higher temperature which would help with the heater. Also consider partially blocking off grill.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - mikem004
>Start engine, put full demist on screen<

Won't this blow very cold air onto the windscreen for the first 5 minutes until the engine is warmed up? Or will cold air thaw ice OK?

Mike
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - arnold2
Remember to use TEPID water - not hot; if it's really cold, you'll crack the screen ! But, yes, this technique works well, but I prefer to run the engine for a minute before putting the water on. Some engines warm up quicker than others, tho.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - DL
Blanking off the radiator will be of no use whatsoever with the car stood still, warming up.....

I'm lucky....I have two garages :-)

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Not managed to crack the windscreen yet using tap hot water.
Must try harder .
Guess it probably does take me a minute to start the engine walk to and fro from the kitchen.
The windscreen rarely re-freezes at the usual winter temperatures of not lower than -5C (in Derbyshire) if it does- then a couple of minutes idling warms things up adequately.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Dynamic Dave
See a previous thread on the subject of de-icing techniques:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=10706&...f

Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - DL
How do you remember such topics Dave?

Ah....the search button perhaps?

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
How do you remember such topics Dave?

I've got one of those memories for remembering everything except birthdays and other important occasions.
Ah....the search button perhaps?

Er, yes. Once I have remembered it's previously been discussed, off I go searching for it.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - smokie
IMO there is a danger using water to unfreeze, which is that the cold will re-freeze it just as you are accelerating up the road, causing a rapid deceleration and swerve to where you think the side of the road might be.

It's only happened to me a couple of times, but then again...I don't use water any more!
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Cliff Pope
Blowing air through the heater before it has warmed up
a) freezes water and condensation on the windscreen (the chill factor)
b) delays engine warm-up
c) delays full heater operation

I have experimented with comparing warm up distances with heater on and off. On similar days, with the heater
a) On. Takes 4 miles before engine is up to temperature and heater fully functioning
b) Off. Takes 2 miles for everything to work.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Sooty Tailpipes
"which is that the cold will re-freeze it just as you are accelerating up the road, "

I use my wipers to dry the screen before it freezes., you then only get it frozen again at the edges where it doesn't matter.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - hillman
I do what one of my aged workmates once advised me. I keep a small fan heater and extension lead handy in a cupboard near to the front door. In cold conditions I put the heater in the car for a few minutes. Magic, lovely warm car, no waiting for minutes until I can see clearly enough to drive away.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Marc
In this respect, the quickclere windscreens you get on Fords are fantastic. One of the better innovations on a motor car in recent years.

Start the car, put the heated front and rear on whilst you spray on the de icer. Couple of yards down the road and it's fine
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Sooty Tailpipes
Anyone know why front heated screens are so rare?
Do Ford own the patents or something?
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Rob C
Expensive bit of kit when most people are quite happy to use their blowers?
that would be my guess.

Also worth bearing in mind that dash-mounted GPS systems won't work with them, neither will radar detectors.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Marc
As far as I am aware they are standard fit. Both my Focus and Mondeo (base LX spec) had them

It's not a gimmick, it really is effective. I would be annoyed to buy another car without one now.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - pdc {P}
I would hate to be without my heated seats! and heated washbottle.
Anyone know why front heated screens are so rare?
Do Ford own the patents or something?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=9866

Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - kithmo
In this respect, the quickclere windscreens you get on Fords are
fantastic. One of the better innovations on a motor car
in recent years.
Start the car, put the heated front and rear on whilst
you spray on the de icer. Couple of yards down
the road and it's fine

>>
Why do you spray de-icer on ???.
The heated screen on my Mondeo melts the ice on the screen within a minute, a quick flip of the wipers clears it away.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - eurocourier
You can get a gizmo called a nightheater. Two popular brands are Webasto and Eberspacher. Retro fitting to your diesel vehicle fairly straightforward, but must be installed safely. I have one in my Sprinter, along with a digital timer so it can be set to come on say an hour before you leave the house in the morning: toasty and defrosted cab = result!

I have one because it's a legal requirement in some parts of Europe. It got sucks up diesel from the tank which is burnt in the heater then a fan circulates the heat - the whole lot sits under the passenger seat. Fitted in a lot of trucks and boats, come in either 12 or 24 volt applications. They run on a totally isolated circuit to the vehicle's, and ideally on a 12v vehicle you also have a separate battery for it so you don't risk flattening your main battery. They're not cheap new (£1000 approx.), but you do see them for affordable prices on ebay. I think there might be a place in Chorley doing reconditioned ones too.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - P 2501
I use a hot water bottle on the right hand side of the dash board. just leave it there for 5 or 10 minutes before i set off and the windscreen is nice and clear
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - rory
You may also wish to consider an engine block heater, such as the one produced by Kenlowe. This is plumbed-in to the heater/cyl head water hosing. It works off the mains and basically warms up the water in the block by heating it and gently circulating it at a pre-set temperature - usually just about enough to open the thermostat. The best bit is that since the unit is mains powered you can put it on a digital timer and set it to run 20 - 30 mins before you set off. I ran one for a winter to great effect; it saved a lot of fuel and the heater was instantly at hot. Had to remove it and shelf it when I recently changed the car since the manufacturer -the meanies - stated it would 'probably' invalidate the new car warranty.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - Hawesy1982
I just put a nylon sheet across the windscreen after ive finished with the car for the day. Remove it in the morning, give the other windows a token scrape and off i go. It has been suggested by other posters that the sheet might stick to the screen and rip, but im yet to experience any problems so far.
Icy windscreen: cold fan heater? - AdrianM
Recently sold my old (89) sapphire 2000E. Heated front screen was wonderful - amazed I've never come across one in other cars.