VIN number removal? - Pete
Can anyone please advise, what is the situation with the MOT, on a vehicle where the VIN stamped into the bodywork has been removed to effect a weld repair?
Car is an H reg Sierra Estate, the VIN is stamped into the floor just inboard of the the N/S door pillar.
Is there some proceedure as to notifying D.V.L.A or suchlike, which should be undertaken to avoid problems at MOT time?
Thank you, Pete. petel@clara.co.uk
VIN number removal? - DL
Aslong as the VIN plate is intact, there will be no problems.
VIN number removal? - Cliff Pope
Aslong as the VIN plate is intact, there will be no
problems.

VIN plate - that's the thin bit of metal only fixed on with pop rivits? I thought the VIN had to be stamped permanently somewhere so that it couldn't be swapped from another car?
VIN number removal? - Altea Ego
Very strange that a welded repair had to be made exactly at the point where the Vin is stamped? sounds suss to me. This is a fav trick of the ringers. Check to see if the other vin plate seems to have been removed at any time or altered.
VIN number removal? - Dwight Van Driver
Tester may be satisfied if VIN Plate present and apparently in order. But if not or he goes to look at that stamped and finds not complete/illegible, this can give him grounds for a refusal.

My question is why and as Papa says above very sus and an enquiring Plod MAY feel a collar on suspicion of theft of vehicle.

Have DVLA been informed? They may give advice as to how to get it back in order.

DVD
VIN number removal? - DL
>"VIN plate - that's the thin bit of metal only fixed on with pop rivits? I thought the VIN had to be stamped permanently somewhere so that it couldn't be swapped from another car?"

From the MOT Testing manual - The VIN number can either be stamped directly onto the bodyshell or indicated on a plate attched to the bodyshell.

So it's a case or either or, or both!
VIN number removal? - Pete
Thank you all for the replies.

I can assure you that the owner and the vehicle are genuine. The repair needs to be done because a minor shunt caused damage to the sill/bottom of the door pilar, which the previous owner failed to deal with and the rust set in at that location.

The MOT people have confirmed that as long as the VIN plate is present, there will be no problems.
Thanks again, Pete.