Motorcycle engine cleaning tips - Gregory P
I have a motor scooter and have found it very difficult to clean the engine. I have tried dry cloths but it doesn?t seem to lift the dirt and oil and is as dirty as before. I have been contemplating the use of some of the products on sale including Autoglym?s engine cleaner but I am afraid that the liquid or water may enter the engine or electrics causing problems.

Can anyone give some sound advice on this? Can these products be used to clean underneath the engine as well. I remember that HJ said not to use a pressure washer since it lifts off the grease which protects the engine from corrosion.

I understand that there has been a thread about car engines, but with bike engines they are a lot smaller with many ?difficult to get to? places. How do other motorcyclists carry out this task without getting water into the electrics?
Motorcycle engine cleaning tips - bernie
Personally,I use Autoglym Motorcycle Cleaner.

It comes in a trigger spray bottle,just spray it on on if necessary use an old paintbrush to work it in and rinse off with a gentle water hose.

I have used it on my Fazer 600 from new and can recommend it !
Motorcycle engine cleaning tips - THe Growler
As above, plus I use a baby bottle brush and an old toothbrush which are excellent for getting at the crooks and nannies. You shouldn't have any problem with water getting in the sparks dept if you drizzle the water over the engine rather than spray it forcefully. If there's anything you don't want to get wet cover it with Saran wrap.
Motorcycle engine cleaning tips - Gregory P
What is the autoglyn product called. Is it specifically for m/cycles and it is available from Halfords?

Thanks agian
Motorcycle engine cleaning tips - neil
Er... that would be 'Autoglym Motorcycle Cleaner'... and 'Yes', Chris!
Motorcycle engine cleaning tips - HisHonour {P}
I remember from my distant youth that Mother had a silly house-rule that one may NOT clean a motorcycle engine in the kitchen. Ridiculous, I know, but there you are. Is this now permitted in this modern and enlightened age?
Motorcycle engine cleaning tips - SjB {P}
I use:

1) Gunk (paraffin with a few other things added) to clean anything oily.

2) Wonder Wheels wheel cleaner to clean the lower engine bare alloy castings and the stainless steel exhaust downpipes. This is dilute hydrochloric acid, so MUST be used with care, (not on a hot engine, in direct sunlight, or allowed to dry), and thoroughly washed off afterwards. Within these constraints, it is superb and does a fantastic job.

3) Autoglym Resin Polish on all painted parts, including lacquered engine casings and wheel rims.

Five years of such careful use later, the Hornet still looks absolutely pristine.