C5 pickup problems - Bill Black
My 2003 model C5 auto. has so far been just about fault free apart from an irritating (and dangerous) hesitant pickup at the lights. Not knowing when its going to kick in from rest is a real pain and has caused one or two near accidents at busy roundabouts. On overtaking, the throttle response on kickdown also varies and I ve now got into the habit of whipping the gearlever over to tiptronic and changing down and flooring it at the same time. Needless to say, the dealer has found nothing wrong, any suggestions?
C5 - pickup problems - Bill Black
A week or so ago I explained that I had a pickup problem with my almost new 2003 model C5 estate with autobox. At the time I received no replies suggesting that this is not a common problem. It's still there though and I'm now wondering if it can have anything to do with the gearbox which I know has caused various problems in older models. Downchanges are becoming more noticeable on braking usually ending up with a real 'clunck' when first is reached. I can't really see the connection but you never know these days do you?
C5 - pickup problems - Aprilia
Yes, it certainly could be the autobox. The autobox must obviously select the correct gear, but more than that is must also correctly modulate line pressure (the pressure that is applied to the band and clutch servos) to give smooth gearchanges. If things aren't right then all manner of problems can occur, such as 'flaring', 'binding' etc. etc. In all probability your dealer have very little experience of auto boxes - might be worth asking the opinion of a auto gearbox specilist.
Do you know the exact make/model of 'box fitted, by any chance?

Incidentally, having rebuilt many autoboxes (from the BW35 though to a ZF4HP24E) I have learned that only non-Japanese autoboxes you can trust are the GM ones. The rest *will* give trouble sooner or later.