Turbocharging and drive by wire - SjB {P}
I am still delighted with the V70 2.4T that I purchased new in March. On a recent drive to the Czech Republic and back, four up with a boot load of kit, it would pull hard out of uphill hairpins from low RPM that a modern turbodiesel would shudder at, or spin effortlessly up to high revs when the mood took. I did however find two characteristics I have never experienced in any previous car, which I share here:

1) The amount of acceleration available when laden remains prodigious at all times, but is strongest when a quick gear change down is followed instantly by full throttle, rather than by changing down in ample time, waiting a few seconds for the opportunity to go, and then giving full throttle. This is not just subjective, and when in second gear especially, the additional torque is easily felt.

2) I like to change gear as near to 'chauffeur smooth' as I can get, even when changing up at high revs from full throttle. This obviously entails a finely judged, very brief, feathering of the throttle, rather than simply snapping it closed as the clutch pedal is depressed. When doing this in the Volvo however, I sometimes get a considerable rush of power for a split second as I come OFF the throttle at high revs (5500-6000).

I'm guessing that both of these characteristics stem largely from the fact that a computer is controlling turbo boost as well as a stepper motor that opens the throttle, instead of my foot doing it directly.

Purely out of interest, have any Backroomers noticed similar oddities, whether Volvo or not?

Turbocharging and drive by wire - jud
i have a A4 1.8T , i find this is the only car that does not have a "best" gear for over taking. With max torque from 1950 to over 4500 rpm rapid overtaking can be achieved provided revs are around 2500. This usually involves a very short full throttle then lift off to normal cruise position, as you mention the car seems to still be accelerating after lift off, i put this down to the turbo and perhaps the flywheel? but am only guessing. Its a very relaxing car to drive at 30 or 40mph (4th & 5th gear)