2003 - Wind noise - Jamesharry
Does anyone have a soloution to wind noise coming from what seems to be the front middle to passenger side of my new (3 wk old) 307?

It is more noticeable when sitting as a driver than a passenger. Tried shutting off all air inlets and switching off the ventilation/AC completely.

Seems like it is is coming from the windscreen. Whilst someone else is driving, I've tried the door shuts, but that creates a different noise then stops when I leave them alone, so not that!

Not sure is someone knows if it is a windscreen seal or the front air inlet vents at the bottom of the screen.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/11/2009 at 20:52

Peugeot 307 - Wind noise - Altea Ego
Cut yourself a length of hosepipe. Get someone to drive the car, stick one end of the hospipe to your ear, the other end you move around all spots you think its coming from. It acts like a doctors stethascope.
Peugeot 307 - Wind noise - Jamesharry
Is this for real - or am I going to look like a complete nut!

I'm not knocking the suggestion - sounds good - but tell me it's not a wind up, please!
Yes you are going to look like a complete nut, but it is for real, and it does work.
OK, I'll give it a go and report back.
Peugeot 307 - Wind noise - Baskerville
It's almost certainly the aerial. Try tipping it back a bit further and see what happens.
But it's fixed and it's at the back of the car on the roof!

It sounds like it is coming from the front.
Roof aerials tend to emit a tuneful or harmonic hum, not usually a whistle or wind noise.

If you dont want to look a fool with a hosepipe, buy a doctors stethascope. Might find a use for it playing doctors and nurses with the missus?
Hmmm.. interesting thought!
Peugeot 307 - Wind noise - Baskerville
Ah, thought it would be at the front. Vents would be the next thing then. Does it have those funky "rollerball" type vents or more traditional square ones? I ask because the funky type have to be properly shut, or properly open, or they will whistle. Why not try opening all the vents and see if the sound goes away? Then you'll know if it's caused by a not-quite-shut-when-you-think-it-is vent and Peugeot can fix it.

Nope, just the regular slat types with the chrome left-right slider in the centre. I have tried opening and closing all vents, and switching off the ventilation system, but still there.

Even tried to open a window ever-so-slightly to see if a window rubber was at fault, but then had 2 noises!
Peugeot 307 - Wind noise - Cyd
Door Systems Engineers at the OEMs use a toy stethoscope for this purpose. You can get them from ELC for about £4 - just take off the "listener" at the end to leave an open tube. You might be able to find a good one at another good toy shop. It is better than using just a piece of tube, because you use both ears and the earpieces cut out other noise like earplugs.

Makes a good tool for balancing carbs and listening for induction air leaks too.
Thanks, It might make me look a little less strange I guess!

Also easier to get the wife to agree to driving whilst I don a stethoscope rather than the garden hose!
Peugeot 307 - Wind noise - AR-CoolC
To check if there is a gap in the seal around the screen, turn off all blowers, close all vents, and place a piece of paper on the front of the dash, while your driving happily along see if the paper starts to lift up.

OK - I'll give it a try - cheers!
Peugeot 307 - Wind noise - lou2110
hi there. i know your posting on this issue was a few years ago, but it sounds like the same problem that i am now experiencing with my 206. did you find out the cause?? have had 2 mechanics look at it so far but no joy and the noise is getting really annoying now!!