Rover 600 coolant loss - Bugman
Can anyone advise? i have a (95)Rover 620 si Auto that has a coolant loss problem. i am having to top up every couple of days as the expansion tank is empty and the radiator itself also needs a top up..There is no evidence of an external leak and the system has been bled (point near thermostat).. there is no sign of water in the oil, a compression test has also proven ok..The engine runs smooth and does not overheat even when the water in the radiator is down...could there be a fault with the pressure cap that allows water to be drawn out from the expansion tank but will not allow water to flow in as the bodywork near to this point gets very hot?? anyone had a similar problem as i noticed a beware of coolant loss in the What car price guide...
Cheers...
Bugman
Rover 600 coolant loss - Dynamic Dave
Is there any evidence of extra water or steam coming from the exhaust? The head gasket could have gone and you're blowing the water straight out of your exhaust system. The way to test for this is to get a garage to check to see if there's any exhaust gasses present in the expansion tank.
Rover 600 coolant loss - 3500S
This happened to me with a 620Si, it kept running down over a few days. In my case, it was a leaking rad, if it's the original rad, then chances are it's corrosion at the base just above the long bracket at the base of the rad that holds it in place.

It's exposed there to the unmeshed vents on the front bumper which pick up surface water, salt, grit, the odd stone. In my case it was corrosion and then a stone hit helped it on it way.

Chances are that you've only got some corrosion but I admit, a blown gasket is also a likely suspect. A quick check is water mixed in with the exhaust soot, check the exhaust exit.
Many thanks for the info...there is no smoke from the exhaust there is however small amounts of water which i put down to the cat converter??
Bugman
Many thanks for reply.. i thought it maybe the rad cap as the arm that holds the bonnet up and the bodywork near to the cap gets very hot..There is no white smoke from exhaust, however there is a small amount of water when the engine gets warm which i put down to the cat converter????
Bugman