Car Polish - Ben {P}
What is the best car polish, and where do i get it? I have used the green Turtle Wax extream car polish with good results, but cant believe the trade use something this expensive. What is the best trade polish?
Car Polish - KB.
See " Smeary car bodywork" thread. Most (myself included) recommend Autoglym Super Resin followed by the Extra Gloss Protection by Autoglym.
KB.
Car Polish - Ian D
I agree, Autoglym super resin polish is extremely east to apply and polish off, and if you are patient enough the extra gloss protection (used sparingly) reaaly helps..
Car Polish - steveb
I too use Extra Gloss Protection, and it does work. Can anyone explain however how it does over and above a normal polish ?

Steve
Car Polish - Ben {P}
Where can i buy this autoglym stuff cheaply then? Does anyone know anywhere to buy this and that 3M stuff cheaply in the south-east or newcastle?

Ben
Car Polish - Godfrey H {P}
Ben I don't think there is such a thing as cheap when it comes to Autoglym. As far as I can understand the shops are supplied by a franchise holder and therfore the price is kept up as the franchisees have to recover their costs. If you can can get it cheaply I would be very interested. I too baulk at the price but it does a very good job which lasts a long time for the minimum ammount of effort on my part. Have I said enough to get a free crate of the stuff yet?
Car Polish - THe Growler
Y'know I've tried 'em all and I live in a harsh climate. Frankly I don't think there's an iota of difference. Bit like engine oil, more important that you use it than what brand you use. Right now I'm using Autogard off the TV shopping channel, costs peanuts, and it all looks just as shiny to me. I had a show quality Mustang which looked just as good under Turtlewax and my custom paint on my Harley now is as good as anything I've seen.

Marketing flim-flam IMO.
Car Polish - THe Growler
You can check out my Mustang on the honestjohn pic site. That's a 13 years old Florida paint job using Turtle Wax or whatever's cheapest.
Car Polish - Godfrey H {P}
Your TV car polish must be good stuff. I must say I have tried lots of different brands and have found quite a big difference. Some are very hard work to use and don't last more than five minutes. Autoglym is the best I've used so far so I stick with it. Now can I have a free crate of the stuff? LOL!
Car Polish - slefLX
Autoglym is the best I've
used so far so I stick with it. Now can I
have a free crate of the stuff? LOL!

Well if it was up to me you could! After reading about Autoglym in many threads I went out and bought the set of 6 small bottles (Intensive Tar Remover, Vinyl and Rubber Care, Car Glass Polish, Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, Bumper Care, Super Resin Polish and I also bought a separate bottle of Fast Glass) to try it and you never know, if I like it I might be a regular convert! I have no intentions of washing the car until next weekend (Friday or Saturday) but I'll judge it then and see what I think.
Car Polish - Vansboy
Try Yellow Pages, under, paint factors.
Thought the current favourites were either MER, I like this one, but don't know link.Sold in Halfords.
Or www.maguiars.co.uk sounds good.
VB
Car Polish - Dynamic Dave
Where can i buy this autoglym stuff cheaply then?

Not sure if these people are cheaper than the shops for Autoglym or not.
www.autovaux.co.uk
www.autovaux.co.uk/StockList.asp?carID=31&cat=49

For the last few years now I\'ve used MER polish.
Car Polish - Ben {P}
I think i will just buy from a paint shop whatever polish they have at a reasonable price. I while ago i tried just about every polish available in lpaces like halfords. I found the turtle wax extream car polish in the green bottle was the best.

Ben
Car Polish - KB.
Not too sure why you asked the question, Ben. Everyone has told you what they reckon is best - I've said, in the other thread I directed you to, where to get the "3M stuff" as you put it. And you're reply makes me wonder why I bothered.

KB.
Car Polish - Ben {P}
Not at all- thanks for your advice. I did not know of the 3m stuff- looks good. Also the only polish i have tried was from halfords, so i wanted to know if there was better than this available to those in the trade.Additionaly i was interested to find out how much this stuff really costs as i imagine there is quite a mark up on the little bottles of polish in halfords.
Car Polish - KB.
OK - All received, Ben. When I next go to Maccess, the trade only motor factor I go to occassionally, I'll try to remember to look at the Autoglym to see how much it costs there. The 3M Handglaze is mainly used by the trade only (though anyone can buy it if they go to a car paint suppliers) and I paid £9 for a litre recently - it goes a long way and will last for ages.
KB.
Car Polish - fitz
Try looking at the product test section of the autoexpress.co.uk website where they show the results of their trials of polishes. They recommend Turtlewax Gloss Guard. I can confirm that it is excellent and repels water for a long time.

Incidentally I have previously had a car treated with a professional paint protectant system called Diamondbrite but was left very unimpressed.

Car Polish - Shy Tot
I have found that regular waxing/polishing is only necessary on cars that DO NOT have a lacquer paint coat on top of the colour. This is usually the case with non-metallic paint. Red and blue non-metallics in particular fade very readily if not kept in a garage. They tend to go a slightly milky colour when they get to about five years old or if they have had part re-sprays. They can look like new again after waxing, but often only for a couple of weeks before they need doing again. If your polishing cloth becomes the colour of your car as you polish then it has no lacquer paint coat. Provided metallics are washed carefully with no heavy scrubbing, and no automatic car washes, they only need an annual polish to remove traffic film.
Car Polish - glowplug
I'd be interested to find out the price of Autoglym in various places. Up to now I've bought 1Ltr of car body shampoo for £4.95 +vat at a trade only warehouse and paid £8.49 for 325ml of extra gloss protection from Wilkinsons.

I've also tried wonder wheels car wax, it seemed very good - brother in law is still using it on his new golf.

Steve.