Volvo V70 T5 - volvod5_dude
I'm tempted by an 02 V70 T5 SE ex demo, with all the extras, 4k miles and £24k they are over £32k new. Thinking of swopping the V70 D5 SE which has done 13k miles. The dealer wants £3k to do the deal. I think it's a bit much. Please discuss.

Cheers

VD5D.
Volvo V70 T5 - DavidHM
Yours is also an 02 plate? Any differences in spec?
>>Yours is also an 02 plate? Any differences in spec?

David,

No difference in spec both are SEs, except the D5 diesel is 163bhp and the T5 is 250bhp. Just fancied the extra performance.

VD5D.
Volvo V70 T5 - Steve S
Dude,

I have a T5 (albeit the coupe). It's great but I wanted, and would still prefer, the 2.4T by choice. It's just that I got a cracking deal on an ex-dem fully loaded.

The difference the high power turbo makes when you are pushing on - is more than outweighed by the smoothness and usable power of the 2.4T, IMO.

Have you tried it?
Steve
Not yet, I used to have a 2.4t and it was excellent. The D5 is a good for performer for a diesel, but a friend took me out in his T5 the other day and I was very impressed with the performance.

VD5D
Volvo V70 T5 - Ben {P}
I think i might favour the 2.4t. If you want to go fast dont you also want a car that handles and can exploit the power? I am not sure of the spec of the modern cars, but of the 850 t5's i believe only the t5-R and the 850R had limited slip diffs. If i try to use any serious right foot out of a corner in my mums 850T5 i just end up spinning the inside front wheel. I have changed all the top mounts front and back and fitted bilstein Sport dampers and the car still doesnt handle very well at all. I cant see the point of loads of power in this car if the 2.4t is more refined and driveable. Try both before you buying, and have fun doing so. the T5 might impress when you boot it on the test drive, but the 2.4t might be better to live with in the long term. Also be warned t5's like petrol, i got 23mpg driving form london to Newcastle in ours. that was unloaded, aand the car was deffinatelyrunning well as i had not long had it set-up on the rollers. It made 180bhp at the wheels, ok for a 225 bhp auto.

Ben
Volvo V70 T5 - Martin Wall
Why get rid of a car that's done 13,000 miles - why did you buy a diesel in the first place - to save money? to be able to get more mpg - and hence a greater range per tankful?

The dealer should be paying you - he'll be able to shift a diesel much easier than the gas guzzling T5 which is too powerful for a front wheel drive car anyay.

Anyway, let us know what you decide!
Volvo V70 T5 - SjB {P}
2.4T every time. Loads of 'go', and smooth & torquey with it.

I'm very (very) happy with mine, and having sampled both, am glad I was dissauded from the allure of a T5 for every day use.

Sure, the T5 went like the clappers on boost, but off boost was gutless compared to a 2.4T. Comparing performance figures, I also wonder if part of the reason the T5 feels so quick is because of the step from 'no-go' to 'go', whereas a 2.4T is always 'go'.
Thanks guys, but I have decided to stick with the D5. Common sense has prevailed.

Cheers

VD5D.
Volvo V70 T5 - ian
Something else that may help common sense prevail....A neighbour of mine was recently selling his W reg new model T5 auto (£30k new??), lovely car, 72,000 miles was offered 12k trade in. Tried to sell it through autotrader at £14k no interest. Ended up taking it back to dealer to trade in, dealer sold it same day! I fancied it myself but fuel and insurance put me off. Interesting comments about the 2.4 low pressure vs the T5 on drivability, why is that? is it because the T5 is all peak power whereas the lpt is more wide torque and less peak power.
Volvo V70 T5 - Steve S
Ian,

The 2.4T has the boost in the lower rev range - it's just more usable.

That said, my T5 is a blast and the auto box helps smooth out the peaks. As for mpg I get 28 mainly motorway, but with a bit of suburban - which I condsider pretty good for 250 bhp!