Parking vans - SteveH42
Second rant of the night - parking works vans on residential streets. Is there anything that can be done about this? Just recently two locals who don't actually live on my street have started dumping their works van on it, sometimes just overnight, sometimes for 3 or 4 days. One of these is a great big box van that takes up loads of space, the other a transit that I'm sure isn't road legal - above all else it's got a puncture that seems to be fixed by reinflating the tyre rather than actually repairing it as it seems to go flat every couple of days.

We don't have much parking space on our street as it stands, but with these two vans and a couple of locals from surrounding streets deciding they'd prefer to park on ours it's rare that everyone who lives on this street can actually get parked here.

Is there anything we can do, or are we just being selfish to expect to get parked on our street?
Parking vans - HF
I would imagine there is nothing you can do, Steve.

I have the same problem in my street - but however annoyed I might get about somebody pinching 'my space', by law it's a public highway and anyone who chooses can park there, legally, if they want to.

Guess we are both just really selfish to expect that we should be able to park on our own street ;)
HF
Parking vans - SteveH42
I tend to think that if they don't want to park on their own street or simply can't then they should have thought about that before moving there or getting the vehicle, but as you say, I believe there is nothing forcing them to park where they live....
Parking vans - smokie
Many years ago there was an accident in our road with a parked vehicle. Whether he was right or not, the office in attendance stated that strictly by law NO-ONE can park on the highway as it is causing an obstruction!
Parking vans - HF
Steve you are right, whatever our opinions are anybody has the right to park on what is considered public highway, as far as I know.

BUT, as to Smokie's point - very strange, is there something about your road Smokie that might make it a different case to mine and Steve's?
Parking vans - Dynamic Dave
Have the van's got a phone number/ employers name on? You could try phoning and sounding off at them.

Re: punctured tyre. Isn't it an offence to drive around with a knowingly punctured tyre? A phone call tip off to plod maybe?

Failing that, do what a colleague of mine did - let all the tyres down on the offending vans. Eventually they'll get the message that not only is it an inconvience to have to pump the tyres up every morning, it's also not safe to park their vans their overnight.
Parking vans - SteveH42
One van has no ID on at all (the tranny with the dodgy tyre). The other does, but as it appears to be either a small business or a one-man band I don't fancy having my number traced and having a visit paid...

The tyre may not be punctured - it may be a dodgy rim - they certainly look rusty enough. The whole van is a bit of a shed and regularly gets dumped for a few weeks at a time with notices on detailing it's latest failure and why it can't be shifted...
Parking vans - Pete
Smokie is correct. The law states ( don't ask me where because its lost in the mists of time and I have neither the time or the resources to go looking for it ) that the public highway is for proceeding on, not for parking on. Parking on it, is causing an obstruction to said highway. This law was made when car ownership was the exception rather than the rule and has never been ammended or repealed as far as I am aware.

Needless to say, the authorities have no intention of trying to enforce this law today and in my area, far from a police officer pointing it out, they ( and the council ) run a mile at the mere suggestion of it.

Rgds, Pete.
Parking vans - Cliff Pope
I thought there were rules about parking goods vehicles - it had to be in designated non-residential areas. Or is that only HGVs?
Parking vans - Pete
Yes there are. The rules re HGVs are national ( HGV tend to respect the law for obvious reasons ) the rules on non HGV tend to be local and are largely ignored, because of the failure of local authorities to enforce them.
There is also the question of what does and does not consitute a "commercial vehicle"
Rgds, Pete.
Parking vans - Gen
DD is the guy with the correct answer, let down the tyres every time they park. Works every time, particularly as you will realise how few people travel with a pump (just do it at the garage). Don't waste your time working out if it's a commercial vehicle etc. It's upsetting you, and so needs to be dealt with.
Parking vans - Group B
DD is the guy with the correct answer, let down the
tyres every time they park. Works every time, particularly as you
will realise how few people travel with a pump (just do
it at the garage). Don't waste your time working out if
it's a commercial vehicle etc. It's upsetting you, and so needs
to be dealt with.

It is an offence to let someones tyres down, so if you did follow this route, make sure you dont get caught doing it! Or it could be you getting your collar felt, while the offending van owner gets the moral high ground.

This came up on another forum a while back. Under the Road Traffic Act, the way it defines damage to a vehicle is that the damage doesnt need to be permanent for it to be an offence, but "renders it less useful or inoperable for a period of time".
Parking vans - Martin Devon
One van has no ID on at all (the tranny with
the dodgy tyre). The other does, but as it appears to
be either a small business or a one-man band I don't
fancy having my number traced and having a visit paid...
The tyre may not be punctured - it may be a
dodgy rim - they certainly look rusty enough. The whole van
is a bit of a shed and regularly gets dumped for
a few weeks at a time with notices on detailing it's
latest failure and why it can't be shifted...

Regarding your second paragraph Steve. PLOD should certainly be taking a greater interest in this vehicle for reasons that shouldn't require explanation here. It is also likely that the Inland Rev' should as well, but...probably toooo much thinking involved for both parties

Regards.
Parking vans - SteveH42
Regarding your second paragraph Steve. PLOD should certainly be
taking a greater interest in this vehicle for reasons that
shouldn't require explanation here. It is also likely that the
Inland Rev' should as well, but...probably toooo much thinking
involved for both parties

To be fair to him, the van is taxed even if it doesn't seem to be all that well maintained. And it's also better that he park it in the street I suppose than dump it in the alley blocking access to the back of the houses as he did when he first started leaving it here.
Parking vans - deere3350
Re: punctured tyre. Isn't it an offence to drive around with
a knowingly punctured tyre? A phone call tip off to plod
maybe?

A total waste of time I'm afraid. Nobody is interested. A few years ago, residents down the road from me parked their untaxed (about 4 months out of date), clapped out vans outside my door on a regular basis.
I sent a letter to DVLA, only to receive a document back that I would have to sign and return to them. The DVLA could then prosecute the owners, but they would receive a copy of the document so that they could prepare their defence. Who needs a brick through their window ?
I decided to opt for a call to the traffic Polis. They had to be phoned THREE times before they came out. On the third call they took some serious verbal. The only time that lot are interested is when they have a campaign on.

It was great to see the neighbour tearing up the tickets on the street though.. :)
Parking vans - borasport20
Steve

given the problems you have with the local kids ( and boy, do i sympathise), nip out in the dark and paint goalposts/wickets/target on the side of offending vans

;-)

Parking vans - r.fensome
If the offending vehicle does not move for some days, do as I did in a similar position, report it as an abandoned vehicle to the local authority (all the better with flat tyres and lots of rust) and see what happens. On the one outside my house (It was someones down the road) the council put a 7 day removal notice on it, it was gone in 2, never to be seen again.
Parking vans - volvod5_dude
Get a large piece of paper A4 and some super glue. Write DON'T PARK HERE on the paper then stick it to the windscreen with the super glue. They will have to replace the windscreen most likely. Residents around the new Worcester hospital have been using these tactics because they are fed up with hospital traffic parking on their residential streets. The local council just aren't interested.

VD5D.
Parking vans - smokie
Have you tried talking reasonably to the drivers? I know you may well end up with a string of abuse, but then again, you might not. Or if you don't want to face up to them, just leave an anonymous note under the wiper asking them to park elsewhere.
Parking vans - volvoman
Many years ago an elderly and housebound friend of ours had a problem with a guy who lived further up the road and insisted on parking his Luton van right outside his house, blocking the view. One afternoon the old boy saw the man parking and politely asked if he'd mind not doing it since it blocked his view. He received a torrent of abuse for his trouble and was left visibly shocked. Quite mysteriously, a few days later the lout left for work one morning only to find all his tyres slashed ! Funny, he never parked there again.
Parking vans - FFX-DM
Much as I may sympathise with those having their streets parked solid, I have no sympathy with those who superglued signs onto reasonably parked cars visiting the hospital. When visiting my mum in hospital, there was just not enough space to park in the small hospital car park. I would park on the street, ensuring that I was not blocking any driveways or parking too close to the corner. The residents kept coming out of their houses and berating me, and others for so parking, and I am afraid my attitude was 'tough t*tty'. Some people who live in London have to put up with heavily parked streets and also often have to pay for the priviledge of parking outside their own house. If I have parked considerately and have paid my road tax, etc, then residents complaining for the sake of it (I didn't mention before that they all had large driveways, it was just the principal of having the hoi polloi parking outside that they objected to) really does not sway me at all. If any of them chose to cause criminal damage to my car, then I would expect the police to at least have a word with the residents and warn them against taking such action.
Parking vans - UncleR
Well said FFX-DM.
It is a different ball game when you are talking about cars versus vans. I imagine the hospital was there before the houses. If someone superglued my windscreen they had better hope I didn't catch them!
Parking vans - Pete
I had an occasion when a untaxed rusty orange Transit was left for a week outside my back gate. Reported to Police and Local Council, zero response. After some time and trouble, a neighbour told me that he had seen the driver of the van leave it an go to a house on the corner.

Put polite note through door of house and van was gone within two hours.

Of course, it could have had something to do with the fact that the people renting the house did not want any attention drawn to them, because they were dealing drugs 24/7.
The authorities were not interested in this aspect either.
Rgds.
Parking vans - SteveH42
I don't know if the rules are the same, but a few years back I reported that the previous tenants of the flat below mine had dumped their old car on the street after moving out. It had been there about a month when I reported it, but I was told they had to wait 6 weeks before anything could be done at all.

I think if it's blocking access you can get a vehicle moved quickly, otherwise not.

Someone else mentioned special rules for HGVs - can you please elaborate? Especially on what is classed as an HGV. I doubt a tranny would be covered, but this larger van may well be.
Parking vans - Pete
Sorry Steve, I am not familiar with the rules for HGVs, I just know that they are national, stricter and are normally abided by, because the lorry owners do not want costly prosecutions. Perhaps an HGV driver/owner can give us more detail.

However, smaller vans, such as Transit types which can be driven on a car licence, are invariably taxed as private and light goods and parked where ever the owner likes for as long as he can get away with it.
Rgds, Pete.
Parking vans - Andrew-T
I have a lot of sympathy with most of the views expressed here, perhaps stopping short of unlawful coercion by rendering windscreens unserviceable. However, all said and done, the problem is the result of many people having to find places to dump large lumps of pressed metal when they choose not to drive around in them. These people (us) are not obliged to own those lumps, and if they choose to, and have no off-street place to put them, they have to compete with everyone else in the same situation. Likewise those who visit others in hospital (or anywhere else). Sorry, but that's 21st-century life. It's no good moaning at the authorities to provide still more car-parks (which they will only do if roads become impassable).
Parking vans - SteveH42
In the main I'd agree. Two points in my situation that make it slightly less clear-cut and annoying. One of the vans advertises 'Removals and Storage' - if they have a place for storage it's a good bet there is room there to park the van. It's likely it's only brought home to save their legs. The other point is that there are plenty of spaces on the adjoining street - people prefer to park on our street from there because ours is a cul-de-sac and therefore less through traffic, clipped mirrors etc. Again, if they choose to live on a busy road they that's their look-out, no reason why they should make life harder for others to protect their lumps a bit more... (Maybe I should put notes under their wipers telling them I've seen the kids using their cars as football targets - that might get them to park on their own street!)
Parking vans - Andrew-T
Good thinking, Steve.
Parking vans - Alan
I think as a comercial vehicle it would have to display lights to park on the street at night. An aquaintance recieved a ticket for parking a transit based motor carvan in either portsmouth or plymouth, can't remember which. It was described as a comercial vehicle over (I think it was 1500Kgs). He got off on the comercial vehicle bit. I remember thinking the weight limit was low enough to cover all but the very smallest transit type vans which would make an awful lot of illegal vans out there.
Parking vans - cockle {P}
Steve, it might be worth a look at your deeds. Quite a few estates have covenants which prohibit the parking of certain vehicles. If these covenants exist and are written in for the sake of the appearance of the area etc then I believe that you are entitled to enforce it for your 'enjoyment'. I'm sure that Pugugly will be able to help with the legalese.
Even if you do not live on a recently developed estate don't think that there won't be a covenant, my house was built in 1923 but there is a covenant preventing anyone in the street from garaging a caravan on their property!

Cockle
Parking vans - DavidHM
The law's not QUITE as simple as that.

Firstly, just because there is a restrictive covenant, it has to be made with somebody and then pass through a chain of ownership. If they live several streets away, although it may be covered under an estate scheme, there is by no means any guarantee that there is any nexus between you and them and therefore no way of enforcing against them.

Secondly, restrictive covenants tend to apply to what the property owner can do with his or her own property, and not with someone else's. Therefore, while you can't legally park a caravan on your property (to keep those nasty gypsies out, you know!) that doesn't extend to anyone doing something else on the highway that they may be entitled to. Harsh, but fair.

Thirdly, given that there is no adjoining land, and the vans are inherently movable, it would basically be impossible to claim an easement of light against their property.

My advice would be to report the van as dumped if it hasn't been moved for a few days. The police won't move it without giving the owner some notice, if he bothers to check, and some local authorities at least will allow you to report anonymously. I've just reported a car as dumped today. It is nominally for sale but has four flat tyres, is 6 months out of tax and is so overpriced that there's no way they're going to sell it. I don't know whether or not the council will remove it (though they are pretty good around here) but hopefully it will force the owners to assess how much the car is really worth.
Parking vans - SteveH42
Well, Cockle, I think I can safely say my deeds won't have anything like that in them! They may prohibit things like keeping a horse and trap in the garden, but as the house dates from the 1860s, I can't see them mentioning horseless carriages.... :)
Parking vans - eMBe {P}
I would suggest:
1. tell the council and tell them a dangerous vehicle (danger to health and safety of local kids) has been dumped.
2. phone crimestoppers and report that suspicious drug/burglar related vehicles have been dumped in your street.
3. phone crimestoppers and tell them you have seen terrorist looking types (of whichever current political flavour) bahaving suspiciously in these vans. To get immediate action, you could say you saw men placing objects looking like guns in these vans.
Parking vans - Andrew-T
MoBo - I'm not sure I would encourage your option 3, which is a close parallel to a hoax fire alarm or wasting police time. It is not a moral solution to fight petty 'crime' with more of the same.
Parking vans - eMBe {P}
MoBo - I'm not sure I would encourage your option 3,
which is a close parallel to a hoax fire alarm or
wasting police time. It is not a moral solution to
fight petty 'crime' with more of the same.

Andrew - all three of my suggestions were with tongue firmly in cheek!
Parking vans - Andrew-T
Sorry, MoBo - forgot to allow for the date.
Parking vans - Bilgewater
Section 224 of the highway code states that cars and goods vehicles not exeeding 1525 kg unladen may park without lights.
I think many of the larger Transit type vans weigh more than this.
Parking vans - Dave_TD
Section 224 of the highway code states that cars and goods
vehicles not exeeding 1525 kg unladen may park without lights.
I think many of the larger Transit type vans weigh more
than this.

I agree, I used to drive a Transit beavertail pick-up which had a GVW of 3500kg but only 1500kg capacity, hence it weighed 2000kg empty.
Parking vans - Carole
Whilst I might try to be tolerant of the guy parking his lorry outside my bedroom window (on the wrong side of a residential road, no lights), and not outside his own house, I'm a bit less sympathetic about it when he sets off for work at 3.30 a.m.

Carole
Parking vans - SteveH42
It appears to me a Merc 307D is that's any help, although I suspect the bodywork will affect the ULW.
Vans in residential areas - doctorchris
Look, call me Victor Meldrew if you like, but why are there so many large vans outside people's houses these days. I particularly hate those belonging to big organisations (BT, British Gas) because surely they must have depots somewhere to park them. But does every small tradesman need a Transit the size of a small bus?
Vans in residential areas - Phil I
Well Victor Its like this. When BG come to fix your central heating/ cooker et.et. they need enough spares to stock a shop to cope with all the different types of boilers in use.
Have a look inside when the doors are open. Usually looks like a small warehouse. Same applies to plumbers et al.In the past they used to start the day from a central depot but nowadays its more efficient to utilise the engineers parking facilities for the van overnight and saves the companies cash in not having to have large areas of tarmac doing nothing all day. Might even get them to their first job of the day a bit quicker, Who Knows?
Vans in residential areas - owen
Victor Meldrew.
Vans in residential areas - Baskerville
I have to admit that the number of vans parked up on driveways in residential streets has put me off buying houses on a couple of occasions. I don't want to spend my weekend living in the unloading bay of a business park. This must have an effect on property prices: next door to one house I went to look at a few years ago the bloke had parked a three axle readymix concrete wagon that came up to the upstairs windows. It seemed a pleasant enough house and in good nick, but I didn't even knock on the door.
Vans in residential areas - Ivor E Tower
ISTR that large lorries, requiring commericial vehicle taxation, must be parked in a proper location at night - this is part of the requirements for the local council to grant approval to the operating company. If you keep getting a 3-axle concrete mixer parking in your road, try contacting your local council's business licensing section/department.
Transit vans are exempt from this :-((
Vans in residential areas - Flat in Fifth
ISTR that large lorries, requiring commericial vehicle taxation, must be parked
in a proper location at night - this is part of
the requirements for the local council to grant approval to the
operating company. If you keep getting a 3-axle concrete mixer
parking in your road, try contacting your local council's business licensing
section/department.
Transit vans are exempt from this :-((

and they must be lit if on public highway!

Also covenants can come into play although that is a civil matter.

Of course what may be an obvious and intelligent solution to some may turn out to be an irritation to others.

Compare the other guy's mamba van / caravan combination parked outside his house to my sailing dinghy and trailer parked in the garage. Both not allowed according to "the rules."

Chill.
Vans in residential areas - Marcos{P}
When I first moved to our present house a few years ago I was working on the tools and had a long wheelbase Merc 308D van. A couple of the neighbours complained to the local council that it was lowering the tone of the street. The van was parked on a large drive and backed up against the garage. I could'nt believe peoples attitude towards it, as a electrical/mechanical engineer I needed a large van to carry spares and tools.
Now I have a £40,000 Merc sitting on the drive no one seems to complain.
I think it is called snobbery.
Vans in residential areas - mare
My brother in law works for Transco and has a LWB Transit and compressor. He is on call overnight and weekends to deal with gas leaks, hence the need to have van at home ready to go, rather than the depot 6 minutes away.

When not on call, the first job in the morning may be in the opposite direction to the depot, thereby saving time (and money).
Vans in residential areas - pdc {P}
The lease agreement on my Barratts 'box' states no vans, caravans etc. You can't erect any form of fence, wall or hedge to the front of the house either. Can't even have satellite dishes.

It just keeps the development looking pleasant, if people obey that is.
Vans in residential areas - Dynamic Dave
Here's a previous thread on a similar issue.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11774&...f

Vans in residential areas - Hugo {P}
DD, Mark, No Dosh

Perhaps the two threads should be joined??

Hugo
Done. ND<<
Vans in residential areas - SteveH42
I sympathise here. We have someone on the street that parks a ruddy great Merc box van. It would be bad enough if they parked it outside their house, but they usually park it either outside or near mine (at the other end of the street) although I suspect this is mainly because it's too big to get down the street easily. Of course they should have thought of this before moving in, but I suspect they don't care. It's already succeeded in blocking access for the binmotor to the street twice that I know of but nothing gets done and I suspect we just have to live with it...
Vans in residential areas - king arthur
Well I'm afraid to say I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who complains about what other people park on their own driveways. It's hard enough these days to find work that pays, without the added hassle of complaints from your neighbours. It's a bit like saying you want to have a say in what your neighbour does for a living.
As someone who posted a thread here recently on society's and the authoreties' discrimination on vans and commercial vehicles used for private purposes, I really could not pass up the chance to comment on this.

I think there are two issues here.

FIRSTLY

I used to live on a detached housing development. My next door neigbour on one side was a builder and on the other side was a mechanic on call out.

They both had vans. I had no issue with their vans, especially as I bought one of my own just before Christmas!

We had no complaints and to my knowledge, house prices in our cul de sac did not tumble as a result.

HOWEVER

Unfortunately, the builder did get a number of barbed comments in his direction, not because of his van though. He had an overrun of vehicles in general and usually parked at least one in the cu de sac (3 pt turn bit). That made it very difficult for anyone else to turn around.

Hence I feel that people should have right to park a vehicle of their choice in their drive or outside their house.

The difficulties understandably arise when;

The van is a quatifiable nuicance to other residents
The van is often parked in inappropriate places eg blocking out the light through someone else's window in a terraced house
A business is being carried out in connection with the van that causes a nuicance (such as a factory in a garage)
The position of the van (near a junction for example) is a hazard to other road users and pedestrians.

However, I feel that those levelling complaints should think twice when;

The van is obviously connected with a person's employment - OK whose going to tell my old next door neigbour mechanic to change jobs or move out of the area?
Every reasonable care is taken to minimise the impact of the van on the neigbour hood, such as parking it in a drive rather than on the road, or at least keeping it clean and presentable
The van is, as in the vast majority of cases, legally on the road.

Next time you see commercial vehicles in and around residential areas, think why they are there rather than isn't it a shame they are there.

Hugo
Vans in residential areas - DavidHM
I agree with you Hugo. If it fits on the driveway, then no one should have any problems with a van, whatever the restrictive covenants say.

If there are no driveways, then if it fits in a normal parking space (like flats), I can see no problems.

Maybe when there are rows of terraced houses and the van is blocking out someone else's light, it's inconsiderate, but in many cases probably also unavoidable.
Vans in residential areas - Cardew
"and to my knowledge, house prices in our cul de sac did not tumble as a result"

I suggest that in most "detached housing developments" the widespread parking of vans would be considered as 'lowering the tone of the neighbourhood'.

A classic case of NIMBY!
Maybe living in the South West leads to a more relaxed attitude over this.

We tend to have more than our fair share of good tradesmen, as I suppose, we are hardly in the stockbroker commuter belt!

To be honest, until I saw this thread I never thought anyone would get upset about my van at all.

Hugo
Vans in residential areas - Sooty Tailpipes
Well think yourselves lucky you dont have neighbours who burn out cars they drove home in the night before, like in some areas.
Vans in residential areas - Baskerville
Quite right Cardew. As I said I have been put off buying perfectly good and suitable houses in streets where there are a lot of vans and other commercial vehicles parked. Others will do the same and that will inevitably impact on house prices, especially when the market is not so buoyant.
Vans in residential areas - cockle {P}
Look, call me Victor Meldrew if you like, but why are
there so many large vans outside people's houses these days. I
particularly hate those belonging to big organisations (BT, British Gas) because
surely they must have depots somewhere to park them. But does
every small tradesman need a Transit the size of a small
bus?

>>

As someone who works for one of the above mentioned big organisations let me put the other side.

When the utilities were large and publicly owned everyone moaned about the cost and service, so the cost of the drive for efficiency and hence lower prices and cheaper, not necessarily better, service has been the phenomena you describe.

Certain of the utilities have retreated into their core businesses, this has involved the selling off of the freeholds of a lot of their depots and the leasing back of same from dedicated property management companies. Believe it or not some of these companies actually charge for vehicles to be garaged at the depot overnight, hence a cost saving if the van is garaged out.

The utility also gets a benefit because the engineer, to avoid tax complications, now has to travel to his first job in his own time & give the company an additional 15 minutes or so on top, also has to do the same at the end of the day, 15 minutes plus his travel time. Hence engineer is at his job earlier and company gets an extra job or so a day out of him. Benefit to the engineer is he doesn't have to run a, possibly second, vehicle to get to work only for it to sit in the yard all day and gather cobwebs.

Customer facing engineers these days also work some pretty strange hours, for instance, if you have to do some cabling in the local 24 hour supermarket it can only be done when it shuts at 22:00 on Sat until 10:00 on Sun or from 16:00 on Sunday until 08:00 Mon. If the engineer doesn't have to make a special trip to pick up his vehicle then he is much more inclined to cover those sort of hours. Also many business customers now run 24 hour operations and demand a 24 hour service for maintenance therefore being called out of bed at 1,2 or 3 in the morning is not unusual, again makes life easier for everyone.

As to the size of vehicles, a few years ago most of the guys on call would probably drive an Escort or Fiesta sized van so most people didn't really notice them. Today the same engineer probably covers three times as many skills and products for which the above mentioned 24 hour business customer expects him to be carrying the spares, hence the move towards Transit sized vehicles.

Personally, I hate the idea of having a Transit parked on my drive and have managed to hold out with an Escort but, unfortunately, my days are numbered. The Escort van is no more and my next vehicle will be the new Transit Connect, not as big as the proper thing but still too big for my liking.

I think it is just one of the things that we have to put up with in today's society, people want the service cheaper and quicker and people have to earn a living I'm afraid.

Cockle
Vans in residential areas - jeds
I tend to live and let live. If people need to park vans outside their homes, who am I to say they shouldn't.

The more interesting question is why they need to. I used to insure my car with the RAC. I did this for years because I once went into the RAC insurance office in Bristol and got brilliant service. For years afterwards I never even thought much about it, I just renewed at the same office. (this was before Direct Line)

Then, one year, I drove across town to renew my insurance one Saturday afternoon. As per usual I had left it late. When I got there, I found that the office was no longer open. It had closed. A notice on the door said it had closed in the interest of efficiency and so that RAC could provide a better service for its customers. There was a telephone number on the notice so I went to a telephone box and rang it. It rang and rang and I didn't get an answer.

Many Company's don't have depot's any more. They have outworkers. Some of those outworkers have vans which they have to park outside their homes.
Parking vans - geordiejones
I have the misfortune to have a Breakdown Van parked outside my back gate. As I am disabled, I need access as the front door is on a very narrow road. Have I any recourse to the law? The local council don't seem to want to know. Also, is a Breakdown vehicle over 1525 Kg and therefore exempt from paking without lights?
Parking vans - AlastairW
My problem is overcrowded driveways. Opposite me is a small terrace, with long driveways that can accomodate 3 small cars. However,on family runs (at last count), A large Fiat Ducato, a Fiesta van, three cars and keep an unmoving caravan on the drive, a total of six vehicles. Is there a limit on how many vehicles can be registered to a two bedroomed house?
Parking vans - daveyjp
If you are a blue badge holder and the road is public highway contact the Council again requesting a 'disabled' bay outside your gate. If you have no joy e-mail your local Councillor.
Parking vans - drbe
You could always start politely. Put a note on his windscreen pointing out that he doesn't live in 'Acacia Avenue', would he please not park in 'Acacia Avenue'.

you have then done the polite, courteous and legal thing. What you do then (if he still parks there) is up to you. You could follow him home and put a similar note through his letterbox - no threats, implied or otherwise - you don't have to damage his vehicle to cause him inconvenience. I have heard that Vaseline smeared on the windscreen is quite effective, especially these moist mornings.
Parking vans - geordiejones
A new problem has raised it's head since my last comment. The Breakdown Van merchant is regularly 'On Call' and leaves/arrives outside my house at any time up to 2.30 in the morning. I am continuously being woken up by him. Are their grounds for 'Public Nuisance' compaints or something sinilar?

Parking vans - sierraman
Contact Environmental Health,you should be able to find them via your council website.I have done so re loud music on a few occasions,they have sent the culprits a letter along the lines of 'we have recieved a complaint'(they don't say who from)and it seems to be effective.