VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - NAthan smith
Hi all been offered a good pcp deal on the above car but not sure whether to go over 36 months or 48 more than? The difference is £30 a more in the shorter term. Any ideas? Thanks
VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - RobJP

Nobody can advise you on financial matters unless they are a qualified financial adviser. Too many variables. What might be right for one person might be completely unsuitable for another.

However, knowing the poor reputation that VW have garnered for themselves over the last few years, I wouldn't even consider the 4 year term unless it came with a free 'official' VW extended warranty.

VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - RT

If the difference is only £30 - check out the difference in guaranteed value at the end of the 36/48 months - if the figure at 36 months is more than £30 greater, you'd have more money to put towards your next car - and not have to run 12 months outside the warranty.

Both the gfvs are t he same I guess I would be better over the shorter term ur less interest as probably would sell after 2 years anyway?
I would also add I can't believe how varied some of the quotes on the same spec age mileage cars have been! As much as £100 a mk th in some cases!
VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - Tester

I'm sure other forum contributors know more about this than me (I've never had a car on PCP) but I understood that, broadly speaking, you cannot sell a PCP car during the period of the contract (for example, 2 years into a 3- or 4-year agreement) as suggested by the OP. Can anyone with closer knowledge confirm this or put me right?

VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - NARU

I'm sure other forum contributors know more about this than me (I've never had a car on PCP) but I understood that, broadly speaking, you cannot sell a PCP car during the period of the contract (for example, 2 years into a 3- or 4-year agreement) as suggested by the OP. Can anyone with closer knowledge confirm this or put me right?

Sure you can - but you'll need to settle the finance and won't get the benefit of the guaranteed future value.

VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - Tester

Thanks, Marlot. Would there be substantial penalties for early settlement? And presumably you would have to settle the finance before selling the car, otherwise you would not have title to it?

VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - RT

Thanks, Marlot. Would there be substantial penalties for early settlement? And presumably you would have to settle the finance before selling the car, otherwise you would not have title to it?

Interest is calculated pro-rata for the amount/time that money has been loaned and there's a termination fee would would have come out of monthly payment even going full term.

If a dealer is involved, then just like HP they can ring up the finance company, get a settlement figure and build that into the deal.

Only if you're selling privately would you need to settle before selling.

VWPassat estate - Pcp options? - Falkirk Bairn

Early termination charges can add up.

I know of a person who regularly would return a car & then take on another. Road accident, new model, a bigger car...... lots of excuses for ditching the 12/18 mth old car.

Currently he pays some £750 a month for a car - £250 of that approximately goes to his "finance debt" accrued over the last 10/12 years.

At one point he owed some £18K in early termionation charges. His father has bailed him out on a few occasions (Credit Crds, Loans, etc etc) but he did not pay car termination charges.

Most companies will charge 1 months interest for an early settlement . Like I said in a previous post shop around as the variations are quite ridiculous . I went for the 36 m option inn the end and will change the car after 2 years thanks for all contributions

Duplicate post.

Edited by Avant on 24/08/2016 at 01:00