Tucson or Sportage? - kwakaman39

Hi.

Shortlisted two cars for my new replacement car.

Have £20k to spend and looking at a Hyundia Tucson SE Nav or a Kia Sportage 2.

Advised to get the petrol version due to short journeys and low annual milage.

Any advice pros and cons against each other?

Pro's and Cons so far,

Obviously the 7 year warranty is a big plus for the Kia but the looks of the Tuscon has grown on me over the Kia.

Hyundia has 5 year free brakedown cover (worth £500) as opposed to Kias 12 months.

Hyundia has free sat nav updates for 5 or 7 years (i think) were you have to pay for Kia UK updates.

Looking for more help deciding.

Currently checking the 5 year service package comparison.

Any advice/help much appreciated.

Kwaka

Tucson or Sportage? - RT

The Sportage is a Tucson underneath no no difference there.

Hyundai warranty is 5 years unlimited mileage, Kia is 7 years or 100,000 miles - the wear/tear exclusions are similar - difference in warranty only relavant if your'e expecting to keep it 6+years.

Comes down to how well YOU like the interiors.

Thanks RT- Will be keeping as long as the warranty period and only do 10K miles per year.

Test driving Tucson saturday, yet to arrange a Kia one yet.

Comparing Kia 2 vrs the SE Nav at the momment. Think spec very similar but still researching.

Test trive today.

Managed to get the engine and spec i intented buying.

Thoughts.

Nice quiet drive,

1.6 petrol is adequate for my needs. Felt nippy from the off but lacked mid/top end acceleration. (as expected by me). Didnt really test that hard as coming from a lazy torqie diesel and thats my driving style anyway.

Comfort was very good. Coped with bumps well. The mrs complained of a non hight adjustable passenger seat though..lol. Stock passenger seat position seems to be very low.

Brakes nice and sharp compared to my 4 year old Audi.

Handbrake feel was wierd though. Almost like an electronic brake as only seemed to work on the top 10% of travel. Felt like an old cars stretched cable. Worked well though.

Sat nav lady was a bit slow with commands and not 100% accurate (may need map update).

At speed on dual carrage way the steering felt very direct (too direct) for my liking. The smallest steering input made it drive like on rails and felt like was swearving to keep straight???? (Aparantly the steering was on normal and not sport) Not sure what setting is best for high speed but the feel was fine under 40mph.

This demo had a low rear tyre pressure sensor warning but the salesman had checked pressures before we went out. Warning still remained. (maybe too high?)

Overal nice car that will suit my needs.

Tucson or Sportage? - FP

Thanks for this. It's interesting as I was recently asking forum members for some feedback about the petrol Sportage. (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=114021)

My own researches suggested that for me the 1.6 petrol Sportage is underpowered and not very economical. Your road-test supports the first point. And I would have thought it was not very torquey either. Whether that satisfies you is of course your decision. And I haven't driven one myself.

I came to the reluctant conclusion that the Ford Kuga 1.6 EcoBoost, or - even better - the current 1.5 Ecoboost is a far better bet, at least on paper: more power, more torque and better economy. However, it is a lot more expensive than the Kia and doesn't look so nice, in my view.

@FP.

As far as the economy goes....we went on a 15 minute drive, half on a dual carrageway and other half on B roads at below 30mph free flowing traffic.

I didnt know how to use the milage computer but when asked the salesman he looked and said it was 32.8mpg on that journey. (4k miles on the clock).

Torque seemed to only be present upto about 3K then not much happened if tried to do a roll on test. A bit flat. Bare in mind i have not driven a petrol car for 20 years or so, and comparing to todays modern turbo diesels.

Also this isnt the turboed version.

Hoping to try it out in a Kia in the next week or two.

May look into the Kuga if you think its a better option.

Tucson or Sportage? - xtrailman

I've test driven the 182 diesel auto Tucson on 17" wheels and found it an excellent car.

That would be my choice and i only do short non motorway trips normally, except when towing. Only do around 7K miles a year and never had a DPF problem now on my 3rd DPF car.

I think the front end on the sportage looks dire, and couldn't be bothered to test one. And i bought another Mazda CX-5 it looks posher inside than the Tucson and i got a better deal.