KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - FP

I'm toying with the idea of a "higher-ride" car. Mrs FP likes the idea a lot and we like the shape of the current Sportage; what little feedback we've been able to gather seems positive.

I've pretty much set my face against diesel, so that leaves the 1.6 petrol engine. (1.6 GDI,130bhp). At the moment I'm driving a 2-litre petrol Ford Focus (142 bhp) and enjoy the little extra power that has in reserve. The two cars, according to HJ's "real mpg" achieve about the same economy in real life, but I'm wondering if the Kia is going to seem a bit underpowered.

Summary of my car use: about 10,000 mile p.a. or less. Most journeys short; brief motorway run once a week. Every few months a 300-mile plus long journey - mainly motorway. Nearly all of the time it's one or two adults.

Any comments about power/torque/driving experience, or any other aspect of the car will be appreciated.

Edited by FP on 18/04/2016 at 20:16

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - Avant

We were in much the same situation: SWMBO's arthritic knee means that she has trouble getting in and out of the heavily bolstered seats in the Octavia vRS. We eventually ordered a Volvo V60, but we looked at quite a lot of 'higher-up' cars.

We didn't look at a Sportage, partly becaus the shape of it means poor rear visibility, but also as I think it's a big, heavy car for 1.6 litres and 130 bhp. You'd have to try one and see how it compares with your Focus, which is a fine example of a good big engine in a medium-sized car, my favourite combination.

Others you could try would be the VW Golf SV with the 1.4 TSI 150 bhp engine, and the Nissan Qashqai with the 1.6 153 bhp. This engine hasn't been around for long and the Qashqai is quite expensive: I found it not a lot of fun to drive, with vague, 'disconnected' steering.

A Ford C-Max would also be comfortable but again I don't think that the petrol engines are powerful enough for a biggish body.

Edited by Avant on 20/04/2016 at 01:08

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - slkfanboy

It can be sometimes hard to say without a test drive, but the extra 20% weight and less power sound like bad news,maybe acceptable rather than swift.

It's to not say the 1.7 engine is the best option for price/performance in the Kia.

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - coopshere
We tried the Quashqai too and also found it uninspiring to drive. The Sportage looks didn't entice us either. Settled for a Suzuki SX4 SCross 1.6 petrol which is similar in size, much lighter and a lot cheaper to buy. The new Vitara has the same running gear and is also worth a look.

Edited by coopshere on 19/04/2016 at 16:04

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - FP

Just to update my thoughts as they stand now - and to thank those who responded.

It does seem the petrol Sportage is probably underpowered and not that frugal either.

A better bet in terms of performance and economy seems to be one of its rivals - the Ford Kuga with the 1.6/1.5 EcoBoost engine. I don't like the styling as much as that of the Kia, and it's certainly more expensive.

Any feedback on this car would be very welcome.

I'm not planning to do anything just yet and will continue to mull over the various options.

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - bob6000bob
Did you ever manage to find a petrol Sportage to test drive? I have found exactly the same issue in that no dealer seems to have a 1.6 GDi as a demonstrator and in a car the size of the Sportage you really need to know just how well the engine would cope.

Similarly, I have not been able to find a petrol demonstrator of the Renault Kadjar.

At the moment Nissan are likely to see my business by default as the only dealer able to get me in a petrol engine vehicle for a test drive.

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - oldroverboy.

My neighbour had a 1.6 petrol.

shed was his term for it. didn't keep it

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - FoxyJukebox

Check the width--this vehicle is W-I-D-E in every tight spot...garage, multi-story parking, supermarket parking, width restriction roads, ferries etc etc ....

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - bob6000bob

Thanks for the tip. On paper it is only 4cm wider than the Honda FR-V we are driving at the moment, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the width. I am more concerned that driving it would feel like swimming in treacle.

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - steelghost

The Sportage is 10% down on power and torque compared to the 1.8 in my Avensis Tourer, and about 5% less weight, plus a considerably less aerodynamic shape by dint of being 200mm taller.

If you're used to the serious grunt of a turbo diesel, it'll feel slow. If you're prepared to work the gears and the engine reasonably hard, it'll do OK but the economy will likely be fairly poor.

The Avensis is a CVT which is smoooooooth so I take my time, rather than revving the nuts off the thing ;-)

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - Metropolis.

Others will disagree but when i look at cars, if they are slightly underpowered I opt for automatic. That way it isnt such an effort to get up to speed and you aren't constantly changing gears manually just to make progress. As it happens, the Sportage uses a dual-clutch automatic, and it actually shaves 0.4 seconds off the 0-60 time vs the manual. If you are set on a Sportage that would be my choice. Plant your right foot and let it do the work!

Edited by PCharlton on 09/06/2016 at 16:24

KIA Sportage - Comments on Kia Sportage? - daveyK_UK
Sassanyong Tivoli is underrated.