VW Golf - Rodent Damage - TD360

Hi

Has any body had experience of rodent damage to the car engine.I attempted claim from my car insurance company when I discovered that rodents had chewed many hoses ,rubber pipes ,battery cables in the car engine.The insurance company claimed this could not have occured in one incident but over a period of time.As I don't check the engine every week I am unable to prove this happened from one attack.

Yours

OUT OF POCKET

VW Golf - Rodent Damage - Gordon17

We have had 2 instances of wiring damaged by squirrels on one of our minibuses where I work. We used to always park them in the same place under some trees. On the second occasion the garage found some pizza crust inside the front wing next to the chewed wires - it looked as if the squirrel was living there. We just paid for the repairs - never thought of trying to claim on insurance.

VW Golf - Rodent Damage - focussed

There is a rodent pest in the UK in the Tring-Luton-Aylesbury area called the edible dormouse- latin name Glis Glis. They escaped from Lord somebody's zoo years ago and now live in the wild in that area - thousands of the little sods.

They do look a bit like a small squirrel- bushy tail etc. They are notorious for eating the insulation off wiring in houses and cars.

It is thought that they and other pests are attracted to car wiring because it can contain, or has been treated with, fish oil.

I have had several instances of rodents in cars in the past-underbonnet insulation pad chewed on a Civic, and evidence of something storing food- nuts and seeds half eaten etc in the air filter air box on several cars.

The usual deterrent is reckoned to be mothballs - the old fashioned sort that smell horrible.

VW Golf - Rodent Damage - Engineer Andy

Some kind of small rodent (a mouse I presume?) once ate through the bottom of my golf bag, then, not content with a taste for nylon (it was a cheap bag), it/they proceded to start chewing on my car's (Micra at the time - lots of space in the engine bay to 'roam around) battery - fortnuately for me (and them!) no serious damage was done and they moved onto something/somewhere else.

No chance in that happening round where I live now - lots of cats about.

VW Golf - Rodent Damage - SteVee

I regularly vacuum the under-bonnet area on our cars. I often find little collections of half eaten nuts etc. I have had a mouse in both cars, but not since I started cleaning out the cars under-bonnet and any other areas that collect leaves/acorns etc. You really need to get rid of them.

VW Golf - Rodent Damage - madf

Hi

.The insurance company claimed this could not have occured in one incident but over a period of time.As I don't check the engine every week I am unable to prove this happened from one attack.

Yours

OUT OF POCKET

Your insurance company are correct..

(The mice in our garage eat bags of bird seed. You can see the nibbling start on the bags and then the holes get bigger and bigger over weeks. I trap and kill them - as I do squirrels - humanely. I also provide that service foc to neighbours)

Edited by madf on 01/12/2015 at 13:53

VW Golf - Rodent Damage - Gibbo_Wirral

I went to look at a car in the countryside where all the sound deadening material had been eaten and destroyed by mice, it was everywhere in the engine bay, a real mess.