Steyr Daimler Puch - A testimony to German Engineering - DirtyDieselDogg

Our 1998 SDP 290GD Van has been sitting parked up in a grass field since Feb 2013, I sliped(i.e. dragged) her out, unstarted (& not the slightest sign of sticking brakes at all btw) sometime earlier this summer with the tractor, and left her parked up on concrete, nonetheless grass was still growing out from the bottom of the drivers door, today.

All 4 tyres still 100% inflated too

I put a new battery in her this evening, and turned the key, she started 100% ABSOLUTLY on the first turn (the Yausa battery I fitted does kick out 700 A mind)
No flatuence spluttering or misfires at all, at all, at all.
Only for the weeping steering box, I would be minded to take her straight down for her MOT.
Complete with grass and north facing moss covered panels.
Cos a brief test drive up and down our lane was 100% good.
And still remarkedly rust free beneath, cept for the outriggers.
True testimony to German engineering.
Marcus

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 29/09/2015 at 21:42

Steyr Daimler Puch - A testimony to German Engineering - gordonbennet

In my best glossed over youth i spotted the roof of a Rover 90 sitting remakably high up in a field, went and had a poke nose it was indeed a Rover 90 P4 sitting on a car trailer, had been there donkeys years surrounded by and grown through undergrowth as tall as me.

Anyway, i negotiated a price to buy from the owner of the field, ISTR £15 changed hands.

Trailer tyres were perished and scrap, actually it was only really the trailer i wanted, so bunged some tyres on and dragged the thing out and home.

Thought what the hell, so put some petrol into the Rover, connected the jump leads expecting nothing and she fired up first touch to a lovely quiet tickover.

I'd like to say i kept the car as a classic, nope, already stripped and well rusty so banger raced it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/09/2015 at 22:01