New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Happy Blue!

Mrs Happy Blue drives a Nissan Juke 1.6CVT Tekna. It has done its job perfectly since it arrived in March 2013, but the lease comes to an end in February 2016. She does no more than 7,000 miles pa.

Our only gripe with the car is the boot, which has a high loading lip and is really quite small unless you remove the boot floor, revealing a cavernous well beneath, but which is no good for the dog. Fortunately, our little mutt (a Bolognese) is small enough to sit in the boot without difficulty.

So what she really wants is an updated Juke with a better boot. The facelift version of the Juke, doesn't address the boot issue, so I am going to get her to look at the Honda HR-V (although she says she doesn't need a Hormone Replacement Vehicle!), Mazda CX-3 and the Audi Q3. I think I could also tempt her into another Captur, as our family seem to like the one I have.

Any other suggestions? She wants automatic, SatNav and a reversing camera and style/image is important to her, so suggesting a Kia Venga will not go down well.......Is a Mini Countryman a sensible option?

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Paul Robinson

Range Rover Evoque?

Thanks but too big and too expensive. Besides it's a chavettes' car innit?

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Paul Robinson

Okay, Suzuki Vitara then?

Ah, a left field suggestion. I will add to the list. Thanks

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - gordonbennet

Besides it's a chavettes' car innit?

he he, glad i didn't say that about the ewok, mind you a fair assessment..:-)

If the good Lady HB is in the main happy with her present car but wants a more sensible load area then a new Qashcow would fit the bill.

Yes that thought crossed my mind as well. We have one in the company fleet which is very good but SWMBO is insistent on something smaller. Any way, once the schools go back we will start looking in earnest.

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Engineer Andy

Mrs Happy Blue drives a Nissan Juke 1.6CVT Tekna. It has done its job perfectly since it arrived in March 2013, but the lease comes to an end in February 2016. She does no more than 7,000 miles pa.

Our only gripe with the car is the boot, which has a high loading lip and is really quite small unless you remove the boot floor, revealing a cavernous well beneath, but which is no good for the dog. Fortunately, our little mutt (a Bolognese) is small enough to sit in the boot without difficulty.

So what she really wants is an updated Juke with a better boot. The facelift version of the Juke, doesn't address the boot issue, so I am going to get her to look at the Honda HR-V (although she says she doesn't need a Hormone Replacement Vehicle!), Mazda CX-3 and the Audi Q3. I think I could also tempt her into another Captur, as our family seem to like the one I have.

Any other suggestions? She wants automatic, SatNav and a reversing camera and style/image is important to her, so suggesting a Kia Venga will not go down well.......Is a Mini Countryman a sensible option?

Odd that Mrs. HB bought a Juke, given style/image is important? I couldn't think of a less good looking car currently available today (the KIA Soul comes close) - I'll be generous and say its a 'marmite' car. Those you suggested are probably a step up in price though, so maybe you might want to consider the up-coming BMW X1.

Horses for courses - the Juke has an unusual style that is not bland.

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - gordonbennet

Style is a personal thing, and just one of the reasons i don't like the vast majority of modern vehicles, even my favourites, Landcruisers, have fallen foul of fashion trends and it simply doesn't work on such vehicles.

Juke no more odd looking than anything else, it does stand out from the identikit mainstream.

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - bazza

A Juke with a better boot would be a Nissan Note wouldn'it? A very under-rated car. We had one of the first and I'd have another. There's also the Clio Sport Tourer or the Captur, all with the same basic mechanicals I'd have thought. I saw someone loading up a Juke yesterday, the boot is indeed tiny isn't it.

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - ike2

Skoda Yeti 1.2 Elegance automatic. Petrol engine so ideal for lower mileage and it has just been facelifted. Very well thought of car and all the reviews seem positive.

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Avant

Someone will be along soon to say that the Citroen Berlingo would be ideal for Happy Pink's needs: so it would, although I have a suspicion that it doesn't have the image that she's looking for....

If she likes the Captur, then that could be the answer. Skoda Yeti as suggested or Golf SV: I wouldn't normally suggest anything with DSG but if it on a 3-year lease at 7,000 miles a year she shouldn't have a problem. Probably a bit more expensive than the Captur.

Mini Countryman? Punishingly ugly, but then so is the Juke. There's a new Mini Clubman about to come out with four proper side doors and the same pseudo-retro double back doors - could be worth a look.

Audi Q3 is about the same size as the Evoque (and Cashcow) so may be too big. I looked at a Mazda CX-3: no spare wheel available nor anywhere to put one, so no go for me.

She'd have bveen an ideal candidate for the old A-class, what had everything she now needs. It was very stupid of Mercedes to lose that market: the B-class is quite a bit bigger, although I suppose worth a look as it's perhaps not too much bigger than the Juke.

Edited by Avant on 30/08/2015 at 17:28

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Engineer Andy

Someone will be along soon to say that the Citroen Berlingo would be ideal for Happy Pink's needs: so it would, although I have a suspicion that it doesn't have the image that she's looking for....

If she likes the Captur, then that could be the answer. Skoda Yeti as suggested or Golf SV: I wouldn't normally suggest anything with DSG but if it on a 3-year lease at 7,000 miles a year she shouldn't have a problem. Probably a bit more expensive than the Captur.

Mini Countryman? Punishingly ugly, but then so is the Juke. There's a new Mini Clubman about to come out with four proper side doors and the same pseudo-retro double back doors - could be worth a look.

Audi Q3 is about the same size as the Evoque (and Cashcow) so may be too big. I looked at a Mazda CX-3: no spare wheel available nor anywhere to put one, so no go for me.

She'd have bveen an ideal candidate for the old A-class, what had everything she now needs. It was very stupid of Mercedes to lose that market: the B-class is quite a bit bigger, although I suppose worth a look as it's perhaps not too much bigger than the Juke.

I think Mazda are shooting themselves in the proverbial foot at present - they're making some really good cars across the board - good looking, handling and reliable, and yet, all for saving that 0.5mpg or 2-3kg/CO2, they change the (ok) space-saver spare for a tube of glue...this coming from a very satisfied Mazda owner of 9.5 years standing.

Even if its available as an 'optional extra', charging twice what most others do for changing from space-saver to full size spare really stinks in my view. I also think the (Mazda2-based) CX-3 is over priced (I believe the Mazda3 (and the CX-3'scompetition) is cheaper, but bigger all-round - the only thing its better at is 0-60mph [only a bit] as its smaller/lighter).

Mazda - get the space saver wheel back (all vehicles) as standard, and drop the price of the CX-3 by at least a grand (especially with the [larger] Honda HR-V round the corner at a similar price), then you might sell a few, otherwise...

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - bazza

I would have to be paid to drive an Evoque.....seriously what an ugly, bling-tastic horrid thing. Would have thought it way over-priced and oversized for mrs Happy Blue? Haven't you got a Captur already HB? That's quite a distinctive thing and sort of pleasing to the eye? . Our neighbour's just bought a Yeti, it looks quite handy. The trouble is I only ever see bearded grey chaps driving them, often with a caravan stuck on the back, so image-wise not so sure. But they get good reviews.

Haven't looked at the cars in detail yet, but thought the Q3 was smaller than the Evoque (which is more Q5 size??).

Yeti - I would love one - Happy Pink is a snob and won't have a Skoda....... If they made a Seat or VW version then things might be different.

Will keep you informed of what we do. I can guarantee it will be an out of the box decision [sigh]

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Trilogy

How about a Levorg/Forester/Tiguan/Cactus/Kadjar/2008/Renegade/V40?

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Nickdm

Here's 2 more suggestions:

- Mitsubishi ASX

- Ford EcoSport

The Mitsi seems to be keenly priced and sells well?

I'm attracted to the new Honda HR-V. One comment: it's assembled in Thailand. Should that give cause for concern?

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Nickdm

Correction: UK models are being assembled in Mexico, not Thailand. Same question applies though!

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - alan1302

Here's 2 more suggestions:

- Mitsubishi ASX

- Ford EcoSport

The Mitsi seems to be keenly priced and sells well?

I'm attracted to the new Honda HR-V. One comment: it's assembled in Thailand. Should that give cause for concern?

Why would it cause any concern if the car is assembled in Thailand/Mexico or any other country?

The quality of the car comes down to the company that makes it and how bothered they are by quality - not the country it is made in.

How about a Levorg/Forester/Tiguan/Cactus/Kadjar/2008/Renegade/V40?

I fancy a Levorg myself. The Captur is destined for a member of staff once my son passes his driving test. I forgot about the Renegade; she likes the look and knowing it's based on the Fiat 500L makes me happy; we enjoyed our rental car 500L last year.

If you like the Fiat 500L, how about a 500X?

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - concrete

Haven't looked at the cars in detail yet, but thought the Q3 was smaller than the Evoque (which is more Q5 size??).

Yeti - I would love one - Happy Pink is a snob and won't have a Skoda....... If they made a Seat or VW version then things might be different.

Will keep you informed of what we do. I can guarantee it will be an out of the box decision [sigh]

Buy her a Skoda and change the badges! She wouldn't know the difference. One of the best vehicles I have owned is a Skoda, but you like what you like! Costly business this snobbery lark!

Best of luck with your search. Seems the choice is myriad and it may just come down SWMBO's whim on the day you have to decide.

Cheers Concrete

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Smileyman

I'd also suggest the Skoda, I know of people who run the Yeti and are very happy with the car.

Skoda are good in so far as there are lots of toys on the options list, one gets what one wants, unlike Nissan where they package up the car and you often end up with things you don't want but without what you do want.

Skoda also offer a spare wheel and a place to store it.

Smileyman, you are just like me. I don't read every post in a thread. If you had with this one, you'd have read a Skoda has already been rejected.

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Big John

I had a Mitsubishi ASX as a hire car a few months ago and drove a few hundered miles. It was really rather good, wasn't a 100% sure about the seat but that probably just me - takes me ages to get sorted whenever I change cars.

I just upgraded from a 2003 Skoda Superb Mk I to a 2014 MK II - great car but have only just found the right seating position after about 3 months of ownership!

Well we went to have a look at the Jeep Renegade and a Mini 5dr as well as the Countryman today. The Renegade seems to hit all the right spots, in terms of space, style and comfort. A short test drive gave it fairly high marks.....but......then we consulted the brochure and compared it with the Juke and found that it was much more expensive as we needed to add in various options to bring it up to the same level of specification. Basically a £18,500 Juke in 2013 would require £25,000 today for a Jeep. Not sure I see the logic there.

We looked at the Mini 5dr, but it is too low and too small. The Countryman was rejected as being ugly (I agree) and too messy internally. There is a new Clubman coming out shortly, which may meet all the requirements, but it won't be cheap will it??

We also saw two Mazda CX3s on the road, but they were rejected as being dull (pity I like them, although Telegraph Cars says they are a bit tight in the rear). Therefore Suzuki Vitara and Mitsubishi ASX were also immediately ruled out for the same reason, as were all Kias and Hyundais (I told you she was a snob). Despite being in the same showroom as Fiats, she also rejected the 500X and the 500L Trekking and the Audi Q3 because - well just because! I think we sat in one a while back when I was looking and we decided it was a too small.

Finally, I looked at a top of the range Captur, with the same 0.9L engine as in my car. With absolutely every conceiveable extra on it as standard, it is only £18,590. Now we know the car is slightly smaller than the Renegade, and has a smaller engine, but its not so small or so weak that the Renegade is worth over £6,000 more.

So, as we have a couple of months before we need to make a decision, we are putting it to one side for a while to mull over. I think there is a reason why I see so many Capturs on the road - it does offer good value for money in a stylish body with a high driving position and lots of space. Whether she wants two of them on the drive will be a moot point.....

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - Andrew-T

[edit]

Edited by Andrew-T on 31/08/2015 at 22:06

I forgot to include Fords B- and C-Max: if the rest of the family liked your S-Max as much as you did, these might be worth adding to the mulling-over process.

Remembering that she wanys an automatic, I'm not sure how well this goes with the little 3-cylinder engines in the Fords and the Captur. I think some bigger engines are available - 1.6 in the Fords and 1.2 in the Renault.

Edited by Avant on 01/09/2015 at 00:40

Or a Kuga?

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - KB.

I forgot to include Fords B- and C-Max: if the rest of the family liked your S-Max as much as you did, these might be worth adding to the mulling-over process.

Remembering that she wanys an automatic, I'm not sure how well this goes with the little 3-cylinder engines in the Fords and the Captur. I think some bigger engines are available - 1.6 in the Fords and 1.2 in the Renault.

Am I alone in thinking that Ford is dragging it's heels regarding the fitment of an automatic box in the B Max? The current 1.6 petrol / auto. box combination seems a bit dated and inefficient these days.

As is well broadcast hereabouts my 1.2 Yeti DSG finds favour and is a treat to use. If VAG can use a reasonably modern and vaguely efficient system such as this then surely Ford need to look again at the engine/transmission options in the B Max.

There is some reluctance for the B and C Maxes. Somehow the S-Max has style but the others are utilitarian. The B-Max has a small boot as well.

Automatic is not a 100% certainty and looking at PCP and leasing costs, the Renegade looks more favourable. Anyway, having apparently exhausted all other alternatives, we will wait for the new Clubman to come out. It seems to fit between the MINI and Countryman and perhaps offers something we can all be happy with.

New car for Mrs Happy Blue? - confusedbuyer

What about a V40 Cross Country? Left-field but more comfortable than most homes and excellent interior.

Could hold off for the Audi Q1 next year...

Change of plan - Mini or Beetle convertible and if not those the BMW 2 series Cabrio.......doh! Test driving in November.

Not sure if she's looking for new or used, but the Mini Convertible and Roadster (that SWMBO has) are running-out models that still have the old 1.6 engine.

The Convertible has notionally 4 seats but the rear seats are almost useless; the Roadster has just 2 seats but a much bigger boot, and a spare wheel.

She might also like to look at the Audi A3 convertible, which I think is the one I would choose, with the 1.4 TSI engine.

Ah ha! Finally we have a decision. Convertible is no good - too small and not practical. Phew! Back to the Renegade for which leasing costs seems to be far more reasonable than the asking prices. Needless to say she wants the top of the range with heated everything, reversing camera and the full glass roof..... Ah well.