Buying a car choices - barney100

New? Demonstrator? Local independent for older car? Local paper for private deal? I've done the lot but can't really work out which is best. New car you get the warranty but take a hit on depreciation etc etc. right down to bangernomics.

Buying a car choices - alan1302

New? Demonstrator? Local independent for older car? Local paper for private deal? I've done the lot but can't really work out which is best. New car you get the warranty but take a hit on depreciation etc etc. right down to bangernomics.

Which works out best? Depends on what you want from a car and what money you want to put into it.

Bangernomics really only works if you can do any work on your car yourself.

For me I'm happiest to get a car around a year old with a chunk of depreciation lost but with a long warranty left on it whilst paying cash.

Buying a car choices - Avant

Agreed, Alan - and it can also depend on the type of car you're looking for.

VAG cars and other German makes, and Minis, hold their value well and it can make sense to buy new. But Fiats and most French cars (because of dounts about long-term reliability) and most Fords and Vauxhalls (because there are lots of fleet sales and therefore plenty about secondhand) lose value quickly and there are bargains to be had with, say, 1 to 3 year old cars.