Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - martin welsh

Most cars give fuel consumption figures l/km of mpg but the manufacturers of electric engined cars do not.

Why should there not be a miles/kwh consumption figure.

If you are proposing to buy an electric car why should you not know or have some idea of how much it will cost to run?

martin welsh

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - Leif

At present an electric car costs a fortune to buy, and you might save over 10 years assuming a 15K+ mile per year commute, depending on how long the battery lasted of course. But, most of the cost of fuleing a petrol car is tax. And if we all went over to electric, they would have to tax the electricity somehow to make up for the loss from fuel tax. So prices would shoot up, and it would end up much more expensive.

Unless the cost and weight of batteries comes down, of course. Double the energy density, and they might be realistic and competitive. I bet there is a lot of research going on. I'm a bit surprised that the government are not pumping money into battery technology research, though I guess the problem is that Fujitsu et al would part fund the research, and then rush any products to market, leaving us looking like gooseberries.

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - Bolt

There was supposed to be new technology for making batteries but not sure what happened to it, but if people are going to buy these all electric cars they need to do something about restarting some of the old powerstations

I think they should just carry on improving hybrids, batteries have a long way to go yet

Cant you check how much power it uses by the meter ?

Edited by bolt on 01/08/2015 at 21:10

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - Sofa Spud

While pure battery electric cars and vans are likely to remain a niche market for the forseeable future because of range, electrically driven cars in the form of range-extender plug-in hybrids will, I think, become the norm. Drive for 50 miles or so on battery then engines starts up to drive generator. Engine works at optimum constant speed, unconnected mechanically to drivetrain, so a compact 3-cylinder diesel would do the job.

So whats the difference, having an electric car supplied by electricity from a coal fired powerstation or nuclear, If there are enough electric cars we will need a lot more to power them, wind power or solar wont be anywhere near enough....

As mentioned hybrid is the way to go for a while untill batteries improve

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - Engineer Andy

Personally speaking, plug-in cars are at present an unneccsary drain on an already over-burdened electricity transmission grid. Only once battery technology (or any other form of safe, compact and lightweight storage of electrical power) and charging has improved to the extent that fossil fuels are no longer needed in most road-going vehicles, then yes, upgrade the system to cope, BUT only if the overall efficiency of transporting such energy across the grid is more than giving the vehicles the raw energy via a fuel then burning it to create electricity.

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - alan1302

The trouble is if no one is buying the current technology there won't me any money to invest in better technologies so you need companies building, selling and investing in these cars whilst at the same time they are investing in btter technologies.

The hybrid cars have already come a long way from where they started out and will only continue to do improve as time goes on.

The trouble is if no one is buying the current technology there won't me any money to invest in better technologies so you need companies building, selling and investing in these cars whilst at the same time they are investing in btter technologies.

The hybrid cars have already come a long way from where they started out and will only continue to do improve as time goes on.

There are private companies investing in new battery tech, two being Tesla and panasonic, panasonic have the factories and research facilities while Tesla pump the money in with ideas, other companies are doing the same as in Samsung

Samsung I think are working on batteries for all applications including cars/ mobile phones, one in particular is a bendable bat that can be used on anything, with quadruple storage space over same capacity, be interesting to see what happens

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - dieselweasel

Well I 'm reading this as a CZero owner and laughing at the ignorance on offer for those who clearly have no idea anout EV ownership.

My wife wanted a small automitic for local pottering about. Afteer finding most were useless, unreliable or thirsty (and unsually all three) I was drawn to a used CZero.

We found on that was four years old. New it would be arounf 27k - agreed it is a ridiculous sum. But the motor trafe dont know what to do with these, Ours had 11k on the clock, was initiially 8995, reduced to 7995, and we haggled it to 7500.

Weve had it a year now and done 10000 miles. Its nothing short of brilliant.

The battery holds 16kwr on a full charge. The "fuel guage" is 16 LCD segments, each representing 1kWhr. So its easy to monitor the charge and how much it will take from that. Using on street chargers and rapids (all free round manchester !) we can monitor how much goes in . The subsudised home charger also monitors electrcity fed to the car.

There is an android app (Canion) which with a bluetooth odb reader, can be used to report on many aspects of the car, including the traction battery. This is still in great health and all celles hold their expected charge. The cars electronicers only allow you to use a "sweet spot" in the battery so it never gets trully fully charge or fully flatteend and it seems to work very well.

The lingest we have gone is 78 miles before needing a charge - and even then it could have gone further. Like all batteries, when cold in winter it doesnt go as far, but 65 miles is readily achaivanle. Yes, mway use does sap the charge but it will whizz to as limited 81mph without probelm when needed. Around town it excels - there is very rapid acceration and it embarrases many other cars. Its way more faster then an equivalent petrol or diesel runabout.

I've kepty a careful record and i reckon all that motoring would ave used 180 quid of electri at our rate, but i've reduced my cost to about 115 as ive recharegd a lot on public - free - charger. Our SUV would have drunk about 1440 pounds worth for the sdasme mileage.

Its perfect for the school run, going to the shops, and my 40 mile commute in and out of mancheester - the type of use that would clog a diesel and harm a petrol. Theres no engione to warm uo for a start,

Braking is great too - its mostly done wiht the motor regenerating into the battery, with fristction brakes there as abackup. Consequelty brake wear si negligible - as is maintenance of the car in general.

It suites most of our motroing needs. We have a large diesel auto for long trips and to haul a caravan, but we hardly ever used that - possibly 4000 miles a year. Its does have a drawback - with no engine to generate heat you need to used the range sapping electric heater in winter, but we get round that byusing two cheap 12v seat heaters. problem solved. the air con removes condesation and hardly affects range.

The Czero hold a family of four without trouble ans is a great well kept secret.

i ought to keep quiet as i fancy another one in addition to this one, but i can't. Open your minds and you'll be impressed.

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - Sofa Spud

Electric cars are 'nearly there' and the car manufacturers know this.

The all-electric Tesla Model S luxury saloon competes with Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar. One version has a battery range of up to 310 miles. Over 90,000 model S have been sold worldwide. Clever move by Tesla - luxury car buyers in America want quietness, high performance and no gear-changes to bother with and electric fits this bill.

Others like the Nissan Leaf and VW e-Golf have a more limited range so are only suited to local or medium-range journeys unless you plan for re-charging stops.

The only limiting factor for electric car development is battery range. Almost daily we read of promising new battery concepts. It only takes one of these new developments to be proved viable and economic and the electric car will take off.

In the meantime the range-extender hybrid I think will become the norm- something that can do 40-50 miles on battery before the engine needs to start up.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 13/11/2015 at 11:22

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - RobJP

I think electric cars are great - as long as you don't want to go outside the county - or maybe the county next to that.

You've basically got a circle 60-ish miles in diameter, based on your house, that you can't go outside of, unless you KNOW you've got charging facilities (and the hours required) available at your destination.

And as to long journeys, continental touring, going to see the far north of Scotland, etc ... well, forget it.

My longest day of driving was 540 miles. Four people - with about 100kg of dive gear in the boot, plus a load of luggage - in an 2.0d X3, heading from North Wales up to Thurso in Scotland, ready for the ferry to Orkney the next morning. We left at 7am. Got there at about 7pm, having had a coffee break in Lancs, lunch near Glasgow, and a coffee break just north of Inverness. Averaged about 40 mpg (filled up at the last break).

I wonder how many days that journey would take in a pure electric car of any sort ?

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - Snakey

I've been pretty sceptical about hybrids and electric cars but I'm totally changing my attitude now, to the point where I'm about to change my petrol SUV for a Toyota Prius.

I would have opted for a pure electric if the range was better, but my daily commute is 50miles - which is borderline the maximum range if you include heating/lights and unexpected extra delays, so a hybrid makes sense for me.

Why the change in attitude? Pretty much sucessive government and council anti-car policy has resulted in most of my journeys being more of a chore. Apart from the usual congestion extra problems like poorly organised roadworks, census points etc have meant a quiet, automatic car is my best option.

Hopefully if things go to plan I'll run the Prius for a few years, then switch to pure electric when the development has matured.

And notice I never mentioned 'green' - as I am not convinced about the global warming evangelism I'm going hybrid to work around the laws and taxes in place. So effectively they have won, I've been beaten down!

Citroen C Zero - All electric cars - SteveLee

Or you could carry on enjoying the driving postion of an SUV by buying a Lexus RXh - decent examples can be had for under nine grand now. 28-30mpg in a Range Rover sized car. Okay it's not super fuel efficient but it's hardly a guzzler either. Add 10mpg if you stretch to the 450 over the 400. the really fun bit is the 0-30mph acceleration thanks to the torque of the electric motors which will surprise many "faster" cars.