BMW 318 CI 2003 - BMW oil burning - Isitabird

Bought 5 months ago with full BMWSH and low miles( 79K) - thought I had got a good un - since then 4k miles later and now done 84K and has used 7+ litres of fully synthetic oil !! . No signs of leakage or plumes of smoke .

In an Owners forum conversation guy into oil says that use of fully synthetic oil creates a super glaze on pistons and oil seepage occures - says a common problem and recommends flushing and then use of standard mineral oil 10/40 and work engine to burn off the glaze.. slowly it will improve .

Also although I get soapy sludge as well I am told this is condensation due to short miles runs this can seem to clear if driven hard and I have lost no water in 4k miles so I assume its not cylinder head gasket

This should not be happening on a low miles BMW... or is it cos of low miles and lack of being 'driven' that this has occured ? Have you heard of this before and is the oil swap a viable solution as I want to keep the car as rest of car is excellent - or is it likley to be valve stem seals hardening and do I just keep feeding her the oil an add to running costs or will this get worse and worse and I should walk away asap !!??

Thank you

Andrew

BMW 318 CI 2003 - BMW oil burning - RobJP

The problem with 'walking away' is that the car has minimal value.

I'd be inclined to change oil to a cheapo mineral oil, top up with the same, do 10k filter changes, and run it until death / ridiculously expensive problem occurs.

BMW 318 CI 2003 - BMW oil burning - gordonbennet

Yes i'd do the same, but if you search around on the usual auction sites you can find good fully synthetic oil at silly prices, only last week i bought 4 x 5 litre cans of Morris's 5w40 full synthetic for £60 delivered, has BMW 01 LL approval...rather i should say meets their requirements...there's always some bargain to be had.

However i would be inclined to have a good poke nose round BMWland forum, there might be some known reasons for heavy oil use, ie blocked crankcase filters known problem on the Diesels supposedly contributing to the regular early turbo failures.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/04/2015 at 09:40

BMW 318 CI 2003 - BMW oil burning - madf

Check teh crankcase breather system. Notorious for blocking on low mileage cars. Youurs has obvioulsy been used for short journeys...

I would then flush the engine oil using a recognised brand added to the engine oil , and then refill with recommended oil and filter and run it on motorways and do a long series of Italian tuneups which may clear the gunge. Probably sticking piston rings or glazed bores or worn valve seals...

If worn valve seals, it's a rebuild job: which surely can be done with head in situ- with special tools. Ain't likely to be cheap but cheaper than head off.

But it's an old car so spending money on it is like micturating into the wind (apologies)

CC breather valve done but still same problem- will probaly go with advices to use recommended oil for a while and see what happens as I am using it far more than previous owners and will give it some wellington boot

Thanks for advice

thanks for advices- will consider wih my bank mgr!!

thanks for advices- will conisdier wih my bank mgr!!