Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 HDi (2001) - 'Tailgate open' warning - Tester

Hi all -- first time posting on this site and really hoping someone else has managed to solve this problem!

I've had this car since it was 6 months old and it's actually been amazingly good apart from odd Citroen-style electrical niggles. The current one is driving me mad: it often detects an open tailgate, even when it is definitely shut, and sounds the warning alarm. This can go on pretty much continuously for a long time, leaving me as a dribbling wreck. I understand that there is a microswitch to activate this warning, housed in the tailgate's catch, and have replaced the catch unit. It was OK for quite a while but the problem has come back with a vengeance.

Any suggestions, please, for how I might persuade the beast to pack in its complaints? I love the car apart from this issue!

Many thanks.

Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 HDi (2001) - 'Tailgate open' warning - elekie&a/c doctor

Check the wiring where it runs from the body to the tailgate door ,through the rubber flexi-tube.Does this have double open glass/tailgate?

Thanks, I will try that when I get back to the UK -- currently away for 3 weeks. Yes, it has the double tailgate but the glass bit has not worked for many years. (I never found it much use, to be honest.)

Thanks, I checked wiring as you advised -- no obvious problems with the wires themselves. I was hoping to find a dodgy connector but (as I'm sure you know) it was just wires and more wires. The insulation looked OK to the naked eye.

As a 'shot in the dark' at mad Citroen electricals I disconnected/reconnected the battery and it actually seems to have improved matters for now. There were two or three 'beeps' when I first drove it again (a big improvement on the more-or-less continuous alarm that it had become) and it's actually kept quiet since then. Maybe it's just something to do with the changed weather, though ... will have to see if it continues to behave itself next time we have cold and wet.

Any further suggestions will be gratefully received! I really appreciate this forum -- thank you to all contributors, not just on this thread.

Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 HDi (2001) - 'Tailgate open' warning - Peter.N.

Mine does this but wiggling the rear wiper about usually stops it, something isn't quite fitting properly. I have usually forgotten about it by the time I get home so have not done nothing yet.

Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 HDi (2001) - 'Tailgate open' warning - skidpan

We had the same issue with a Nissan Micra about 10 years ago. Turned out to be water in the boot release button just above the number plate. Since your car is 14 years old the sealing could have failed and be letting water into the contacts.

Thank you for this suggestion; it's certainly a possibility. I'm away in the Middle East again but will have a careful look at all the seals when I get home in a couple of weeks and report back!

A belated update in the forum's spirit of sharing experiences ...

Bearing in mind the replies from Skidpan and Peter N, I did check carefully around the rear wiper mounting (which incorporates the defunct switch for opening the rear window). Nothing obvious but I went around it with a fillet of clear bathroom sealant and am happy to report that the problem went away and, six months down the line, has not yet come back! I'm very happy, as the rest of the car is still going beautifully.

Many thanks to everyone who offered guidance. This is a great forum!

I appreciate you taking the time to post, sorry it took me a while to respond. With mine, there's no way I'd have forgotten about it as it is capable of keeping going for a long, long time without drawing breath! (It has been back to its tricks again after some temporary respite following the electrical reset.) But I guess skidpan's suggestion below about seals could also apply to the rear wiper so I will have a close look at all the seals. As skidpan says, it is a right old beastie so who knows? I've kept the rest of it in good nick, though, so am reluctant to give up on it yet.