GPS Speed messuring - julie page

How accurate are the GPS measuring thingy on maps and mobile phones

I paid for a app on my windows phone to warn me of which speed limit zone I am in, but I have noted a lag on it and when I am stood at lights for example the device is telling me I could be doing up to 8mph for up to 30 seconds.

So I tried an app on my old Android phone and my GPS map guiadance and they all seem to differ in the speed they display.

Edited by julie page on 28/03/2015 at 14:00

GPS Speed messuring - RobJP

To start with, you need to look at how different GPS devices work.

They all check their position at differing time intervals, and then look at the data they get back, see if it adds up with previous data, and only then do they update. A dedicated GPS unit might check 10 times a second. A phone might check once every 5 seconds.

As such, it should be obvious that a proper GPS dedicated unit will be far better at the job than a phone, and will be a lot more accurate as a result.

GPS Speed messuring - brum

I have been involved with designing GPS based monitoring systems for over 15 years. GPS can be very accurate - but only in perfect conditions. By perfect, I mean where the receiver has a clear view of the sky horizon to horizon with no objects that can reflect the signals. Place a device inside a car cockpit and it is immediately compromised. Tall buildings nearby cause what's known as urban canyon effect. Not only does it severely limit the visibility of the GPS constellation, but multipath reflections lead to inaccurate measurements from different satellites. Modern consumer devices and their software have evolved to give quick and constantly available fixes and the price they pay is they rely on all manner of "dead reckoning" techniques, including "assisted" GPS where the fix is not via the GPS satellite system but often by nearby WiFi and mobile telephone triangulation. Some even use their internal accelerometers, which are inherently inaccurate due to the need to mathematically integrate acceleration to deduce speed, also integrating any errors which grow over time. You have to integrate that again to get position, trust me, it doesnt work in practice. Systems integrated into cars use their on board sensors, speed from wheel measurement etc, so that speed indicated is not GPS derived.

In short, when they work well, they can work very well, to within 1 mph in most cases but there are many times when they are little better than taking educated guesses when it comes to speed measurement. As you have observed stood a traffic lights.

For the technical among us, speed is usually derived by measuring Doppler shift of the satellite signals and not by looking at geolocation change.

Note: cheap phones may not even have true GPS but use WiFi and mobile masts for location. These are inherently much more inaccurate than true GPS particularly if you are not stationary.

Edited by brum on 28/03/2015 at 14:47

GPS Speed messuring - focussed

GPS speed readout using a good quality unit with a clear view to the sky, on a level straight road, with no bends is as accurate as you can get.

I have checked my units in the past against the mile posts on motorways at a constant vehicle speed and get errors of less than 2%.

That is interesting!!!

How is it that the police use GPS data for speed enforcment or is it just a case of their equipment is more expensive so more accurate?

GPS Speed messuring - RobJP

What makes you think that the police use GPS data for speed enforcement ?

Because when they play back the video to show you the speed you were doing it clearly says GPS 78 MPH for example

GPS Speed messuring - brum

I think you'll find its a hybrid system. Much more expensive than your handheld phone or TomTom. With proper externally mounted antenna.

Edited by brum on 29/03/2015 at 03:13