PC files transfer. - Doc

Has anyone transferred files from an old PC running Vista to Windows 8.1 on a new PC?

I understand that 8.1 does not support "Easy transfer"

Dell want £ 43 for the cable and CD. I can get the same(?) on the internet for around £ 12.

Also, I have found a company (O &O software) that claims it can also transfer programs-- CD and cable for £ 20.

www.oo-software.com/en/products/migrationkit

PC files transfer. - Leif
The quickest way may be to remove the disk from the old PC and plug it in to the new one, assuming you have free power and data connectors. Take precautions i.e. Remove power cable, and touch the casing before the disk to discharge any static. It should be recognised when you reboot, but you might have to enter the BIOS. You then copy via file explorer.

Depending on how much data you have, USB sticks are big and cheap. I have a 64GB USB stick, cost £17 only. It'll take time but who cares for a one off copy.
PC files transfer. - Chris M

Or £40 buys you a 500GB USB hard drive which can be used to back up data afterwards.

PC files transfer. - Avant

Last time I had to do this I bought 'Replace my PC' software by Orlogix. I think it worked in much the same way as the one you mention, Doc.

I can't remember what it cost but it worked OK apart from iTunes, which of course is Its Imperial Majesty Apple not permitting it. I managed to do that via my laptop - even then Apple tried to fight it but there was some downloadable software on Google which did it.

PC files transfer. - Doc

I have done it using "PC Mover" by Laplink.

It did transfer the programs as well, but took a long time.

The E-mail details were moved, but took some finding on the new layout of 8.1

I have changed the desktop to the classic theme so that it looks like my old layout.

PC files transfer. - concrete

When Microsoft abandoned XP I decided on a change. I was a bit fed up with some of Windows quirks anyway. I wiped it from my laptop and installed Ubuntu software.

I saved any relevant data on a memory stick and recovered it perfectly. One thing about Ubuntu, which is a Linux based operating system; the 'bad guys' don't seem keen to go after it. It is not a major player in the cheme of things so it is not worth the effort to try to crack it and develop viruses. It does everything else that Windows did for me. Also it is free to download from the internet and offers technical support and forums.

Cheers Concrete