Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - insprial

Question as per the subject line, do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ?

And do they care ?

Quick answer appreciated.

Thanks

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - Hamsafar

There is no law, it is up to the individual insurer - they usually ask though.

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - RobJP

You do need to tell them : it is a 'material fact'.

I'll put it another way : if you don't tell them and if you have to make a claim ... you've handed them a lovely big stick to beat you with.

Thanks guys.

I can find no reference to it in the online aplications I've looked at.

I guess then if I have to call them it'll be a "oh yes that'll cost you £xxx sir, thanks very much"

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - Bromptonaut

I guess then if I have to call them it'll be a "oh yes that'll cost you £xxx sir, thanks very much"

Cat D is where repair cost is less than car's value but more than insurer was prepared to pay given age and value.

Now it's fettled and back on road your insurer's interest is (a) that it's been correctly and safely repaired and (b) probabiliy its market value will be less than a car without a previous write off.

Under (a) they might want an engineers report, (b) goes to payout if it damaged/stolen.

For point "a" it begs the question if a car owner doesn't know his car is cat d and therfore doesn't(can't) tell the insure, what happens on a claim ?

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - Galaxy

When I've put a Cat D car back on the road the insurer has just wanted a new MOT (even if the car still has an MOT that's current)

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - NARU

For point "a" it begs the question if a car owner doesn't know his car is cat d and therfore doesn't(can't) tell the insure, what happens on a claim ?

The ombudsman has rules that the owner be paid the full value in such circumstances

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - dacouch

You only need to answer specific questions.

You do not have to second guess what information they may want to know just answer their questions

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - TedCrilly

They already know.

If a company has declared it a CatD in the past it will be on the MIAFTR database.

The will be bothered if they have to pay out on it because they are difficult to value. It just means you are unlikely to get the full market value for it.

Edited by TedCrilly on 06/03/2015 at 20:00

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - RobJP

You only need to answer specific questions.

You do not have to second guess what information they may want to know just answer their questions

All insurance companies state that you must inform them of all 'material facts', and that failure to do so may affect any claim, etc, etc. As such, knowingly omitting information is just as bad as lying.
Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - TedCrilly

I think the point being made was...... if they ask you. you must tell them, if they dont ask, dont bother.

Not that it matters, as mentioned, if at some time in the past its been declared a Cat D it will be on on MIAFTR and will flag up when the insurnace co do their normal ID and fraud checks.

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - dacouch

That's not correct.

The law only requires you to answer any questions asking you specific information.

As a consumer you have no obligation whatsoever to second guess information they have not requested.

Knowingly omitting information you have not been asked about is perfectly acceptable for a consumer when dealing with an insurer if they have not asked you a question about it. The onus is totally on the Insurer to ask a question.

Not declaring a material fact you have not been specifically asked about will not and cannot affect a claim you may make.

Insurers cannot rely on asking customers to declare any other material fact, they have to specifically ask about it

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - a5r3

I bought a car knowing it is Cat D and MOT-ed. Insurance quoted me for around £700 a year. When I rang them I declared it is a Cat D. Suddenly price shot up to £900. I bought the car knowing it will be cheap to buy now I have to pay the difference to an insurer. If they had given me any indication before I wouldn't have bought this car in first place.

Do I need to tell insurer my car is cat d ? - Manatee

That's not correct.

The law only requires you to answer any questions asking you specific information.

As a consumer you have no obligation whatsoever to second guess information they have not requested.

Knowingly omitting information you have not been asked about is perfectly acceptable for a consumer when dealing with an insurer if they have not asked you a question about it. The onus is totally on the Insurer to ask a question.

Not declaring a material fact you have not been specifically asked about will not and cannot affect a claim you may make.

Insurers cannot rely on asking customers to declare any other material fact, they have to specifically ask about it

I think you might be enjoying this.

It certainly was the case from time immemorial almost that policies almost universally had a clause requiring disclosure of any material fact. SInce the consumer in many cases could not know, or decide on behalf of the insurer, whether a fact was material the rule was "if in doubt, tell them".

That has changed since the enactment of The Consumer Insurance (Representation and Disclosure) Act 2012.

To quote the ABI, it "removes the duty on consumers to disclose any facts that a prudent underwriter would consider material, and replaces this with a duty to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation."

That's certainly a relaxation, and a lot of people thought that the old "material facts" clauses were unfair. The last motor policy I took out, with Aviva, doesn't have one and I assume they have all been dropped.

I'd still be cautious. It's easy to miss things when filling in a proposal and if in doubt I would still check documentation.