Any truth in the rumour - autumnboy

Heard during a conversation that some Variable speed cams on such as the M6, M25 and M42 (and maybe others) mounted on gantries etc. even thou they are not switched on stating a speed to adhere.

It was said, that these camera's still measure/clock you if speeds in excess of 70 mph.

Truth or Bluff ???

Any truth in the rumour - Big John

I think this was on national news a couple of weeks ago - it's a new type of camera being installed (don't look up look left!)

Is this such a bad thing? - encouraging everyone not to exceed the national speed limit (if no other in force)

Edited by Big John on 28/02/2015 at 23:07

Any truth in the rumour - drd63
Yes, if you can vary down you should be able to move up if conditions permit. I left Edinburgh at 22.30 to drive to Warwick one night last week. Empty roads 70mph a nonsense.
Any truth in the rumour - Sofa Spud
Yes, if you can vary down you should be able to move up if conditions permit. I left Edinburgh at 22.30 to drive to Warwick one night last week. Empty roads 70mph a nonsense.

70 mph is not a nonsense, it's the law. It's like saying taxes are a nonsense, or employment contracts are nonsense.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 28/02/2015 at 23:45

Any truth in the rumour - Soichiro
Ah but some taxes are a nonsense though. For example car tax.
70mph on a empty motorway is a nonsense, it's an a limit from the past
that needs updating to modern vehicles. Especially if the limits are being
enforced so heavily.
Do our continental neighbours really drive so much better than us?

Plenty of laws are a nonsense, that's why they get repealed eventually.

Any truth in the rumour - dan86

It's all about driving to the conditions and to your ability. In a busy motorway then 70 should be inforced rigorously as the potential for a serious accident is higher as more people about but at night say after 9pm if the roads are clear and conditions permit then why can't they raise the limit to 90 so people can make good progress there would be pressure for people to travel at the limit unless they want to.

Any truth in the rumour - Wackyracer

People will always exceed the limit, if you set the limit to 100mph then people will do 110mph or more.

Personally, I don't care if people want to risk the fines for speeding (and the eventual ban) Hopefully it will mean there are less speeders tailgating me through the SPECS covered roadworks on the motorways.

The problem with people driving fast is that often those people only think they are capable of driving at those speeds. I remember the case against a certain police officer who was driving his car at 159mph on a motorway at night. The arguement for his defence was he was a highly capable driver and there was almost no risk of him crashing. However, He did crash years later at high speed. Maybe he wasn't as good as he and others thought?

Any truth in the rumour - gordonbennet

I've seen these rather more stealthy cameras firing off at cars/vans barrly exceeding the NSL.

On the subject of the 70 limit being reasonable or not, witnessing the criminal incompetence and sheer stupidity of drivers of all classes of vehicle increasing day by day year on year there could be fair argument for decreasing the limit instead, the lowest common denominator is the standard decisions are made on these days, we have reached an all time low in skill/competence, maybe the NSL should reflect this.

It would be an interesting and calamatous experiment for the electronic stability and braking aids to be turned off on all vehicles for just an hour on a wet day and watch the pandemonium resulting.

Any truth in the rumour - mss1tw

70 mph is not a nonsense, it's the law. It's like saying taxes are a nonsense, or employment contracts are nonsense.

So? It's just a number. A number that was probably quite high by the standards of the time it was introduced, unlike now.

Taxes and employment contracts are regularly changed and reviewed.

Any truth in the rumour - Doc

So? It's just a number. A number that was probably quite high by the standards of the time it was introduced, unlike now.

The national speed limit was introduced in 1966, in the days of the Ford Anglia and the Morris Minor.

Braking, handling, and safety features have improved radically since then.

Any truth in the rumour - Ordovices

Many components and features are unrecognisable from when the limit was set.

Unfortunately, one component is probably considerably less improved and it is more prevalent now.

Up the speed limit and hope that common and road sense prevails?

Any truth in the rumour - quizman

I've got a Landrover Defender which feels really fast at 70mph.

I've also got a BMW 5 series which feels incredibly slow at 70mph.

I feel safer in the 5 series at 100mph than 70 in the Landie.

Any truth in the rumour - mss1tw

The national speed limit was introduced in 1966, in the days of the Ford Anglia and the Morris Minor.

Braking, handling, and safety features have improved radically since then.

Exactly Doc

The national speed limit was hardly likely to impinge on morris minors and anglias. Their top speed was barely 70.

Cars may have improved but they are still controlled by a species which although technologically unrecognisable is evolutionarily very familiar.

It is the same nut on the steering wheel.

Any truth in the rumour - jamie745

The 70mph speed limit is an outdated joke which the vast majority of people have ignored for at least 30 years. These cameras are just an attempt to make a few quid out of that fact.

It's nothing to do with road safety, because we have some of the lowest accident rates in the World despite everybody ignoring speed limits for 30 years and there's no need to do 69mph on the M5 at midnight. That is just a total nonsense as a previous poster said.

Most of what the Highway Code states about speed limits and braking distances is 40-50 years out of date. My car will stop from 70mph in less than half the space the Highway Code thinks it will, because that was based on the Ford Anglia which never stopped at all.

Personally I hate Speed Cameras and would abolish them all tomorrow, because the only purpose they serve is raising a few quid for the local constabulary. I can understand temporary low limits in areas where work is being done and stuff like that, but simply putting up a camera to make money is crass.

We have a 70 speed limit and the lowest accident rates in the world - go figure, how could that be?

Oh, but I forgot, everyone ignores the speed limits (everyone except for me, obviously. Does everyone else ignore them?).

Imagine how low our accident figures would be if everyone stuck to the speed limits. Imagine the survival rates, too.

BTW there are still 2000+ Anglias registered.

Nice post Ordovices! Everyone seems to forget the survival rate of victims.

It seems the new thinking is that when people are killed or have life changing conditions, we can say "S*** happens", get another car and go back to our lives without a care for the victims of our actions.

Any truth in the rumour - Leif
Imagine how low our accident figures would be if everyone stuck to the speed limits. Imagine the survival rates, too.

On the contrary, excess speed was the cause in a minority of accidents, using government figures that is. And that is excess speed, rather than speeding, although speeding may equal excess speed.

I believe that last year the number killed increased, despite more speed cameras. Also the number of traffic officers on the road was reduced.

The problem with speed limits is that on many roads the limit seems too low in one area, because a house is nearby, then increases to 40 or 50 mph, because there are no houses, but the road becomes twisting, and no-one but a fool would drive anywhere near the speed limit. and of course 30 mph in good weather at noon might be safe, but in bad weather it might be foolhardy.

I also have an issue with the fact that cameras often only operate in good weather and at day. I have only ever seen cops with speed guns out in good weather, never at night, or when it is raining. I once saw them on an icy day, which was good coppering, but it's rare. Maybe they can catch more and make more money in good weather?

Any truth in the rumour - Smileyman

The 70 mph limit is a nonsense, and many drivers demonstrate that with their right foot ... I too consider an upwards revision to 80 mph for motorways and some dual carriageways to be appropriate.

We live in a society in which the rule of law is paramount - the problem with the currernt set up is this law is an ass and when the law is an ass it gets ignored and that is detrimental to society in general. One very good reason for change is to stop such flagrant abuse of the law and enable the police to concentrate on the minority. Cameras as used today is nothing but a money making scam, a blanket wide catch-all that does not reflect changes in conditions and in many cases are held in contempt by motorists.

For example, France has got it right by reducing the speed limit in wet conditions, yet in the UK one can legally drive at 70 on a watelogged road. Is that sensible?

We live in a society in which the rule of law is paramount

Not really. We live in a society which relies on self enforcement of the law. The law only works if 98% of people abide by it when the Police aren't looking, so law is tailored to what the vast majority of reasonable people would deem acceptable. There's simply not enough Police to enforce any more than that.

The 70mph limit is a joke law and the Government considered raising it to 80mph to reflect reality a few years ago, so they already know it's a joke. When the majority of otherwise law abiding citizens break a law every day, it's pointless having it.

The same applies to the offence of using a mobile phone while driving. Almost the same amount of people use a phone while driving now as before the ban, because too big a minority of people deem that reasonable, so the law is pointless.

For example, France has got it right by reducing the speed limit in wet conditions, yet in the UK one can legally drive at 70 on a watelogged road. Is that sensible?

Well France is full of peasants and communists, so they are very good at bringing in unenforceable laws. There's no need for any more laws governing roads and speeds, because if you have too many rules then nobody respects any of them. If someone wants to write off their Audi Q7 at 120mph in a monsoon then let them.

Edited by jamie745 on 01/03/2015 at 20:18

Any truth in the rumour - focussed

"For example, France has got it right by reducing the speed limit in wet conditions, yet in the UK one can legally drive at 70 on a watelogged road. Is that sensible?"

Having lived in France for nearly six years I have yet to see a french driver reduce their speed to comply with the wet limit-they just don't take any notice.

Coupled with the usual gallic confusion on what constitutes wet conditions ie Does it only apply when actually raining? Or does it still apply when it's stopped raining and the road is wet? How wet does the road have to be for it to apply? etcetc

Nobody will give a proper answer - gendarmes just make it up as they go along if they want to nick you!

Another nice little trick the flics pull is if you don't stop for long enough at a stop sign-the flics say you must stop for 3 seconds or they nick you - nowhere in the french highway code does it say to stop for three seconds!!

Any truth in the rumour - Snakey

70mph is a luxury. On the crappy mess of roads we have I don't think I can cruise at 70 for very long before I hit some roadworks, or some other blockage.

They can increase the limit, or decrease it but on the a1(m) you're lucky to get to 60 before you're slowing down again!

Any truth in the rumour - skidpan

The same applies to the offence of using a mobile phone while driving. Almost the same amount of people use a phone while driving now as before the ban, because too big a minority of people deem that reasonable, so the law is pointless.

My wife was hit by a van when the driver was on his phone. Drive was honest enough said at the scene "sorry luv, was on mu fekin phone" Took 6 months to get the damage sorted at the companies (Virgin Media) expense. Luckily no one was injured. Pointless law, I don't think so.

If someone wants to write off their Audi Q7 at 120mph in a monsoon then let them

That would be fine if the Q7 was the only vehicle involved and no injuries resulted.

But in the real world its unlikely to be that simple or clear cut.

Edited by skidpan on 02/03/2015 at 12:54

It is a pointless law because it didn't stop the Virgin Media van driver from doing it and it appears to deter very few phone drivers from doing so. 99% of the people who don't use their phone while driving wouldn't have used the phone while driving before the law came in.

That would be fine if the Q7 was the only vehicle involved and no injuries resulted.

Well if you have movement then you'll have crashes. Simple as that really.

In the real world. s*** happens.

Any truth in the rumour - twitcherman

The law won't be changed in response to postings on an internet forum. If you want it changed, you need to make your point elsewhere.

Any truth in the rumour - galileo

The law won't be changed in response to postings on an internet forum. If you want it changed, you need to make your point elsewhere.

Over the years I have written to my MP a number of times, every response has simply been a paraphrase of his Party's existing policy, wrapped up in the usual politician's waffle.

Looking at the history of the last few decades, when have laws been changed as a result of quietly and lawfully making representations?

Mass public outcries have made the powers that be think " we'd better do something to keep the peasants happy" and knee-jerk legislation has been rushed through.

For example, introducing the 70mph limit because a fuss was kicked up when Le Mans cars were tested up the (empty) M1 at 5 am at well over the ton.

Edited by galileo on 02/03/2015 at 21:40

Over the years I have written to my MP a number of times, every response has simply been a paraphrase of his Party's existing policy, wrapped up in the usual politician's waffle.

Looking at the history of the last few decades, when have laws been changed as a result of quietly and lawfully making representations?

Mass public outcries have made the powers that be think " we'd better do something to keep the peasants happy" and knee-jerk legislation has been rushed through.

For example, introducing the 70mph limit because a fuss was kicked up when Le Mans cars were tested up the (empty) M1 at 5 am at well over the ton.

Duplicate post, sorry!

Edited by galileo on 02/03/2015 at 21:41

Any truth in the rumour - twitcherman

My point about needing to make your case elsewhere contains the implication that the law won't be changed without some debate. The cross-section of the population on this site is almost certainly not representative of the population as a whole, as it caters for a group with a special interest in motoring.

I'd be prepared to bet that in the event of such a debate occurring open to the public, there would be a sizeable and vocal lobby in favour of reducing the limit. So, in the event of this issue appearing on the political agenda, you would have to bear in mind the possibility that things might get worse rather than better...

Edited by twitcherman on 03/03/2015 at 16:32

Any truth in the rumour - alan1302

It is a pointless law because it didn't stop the Virgin Media van driver from doing it and it appears to deter very few phone drivers from doing so. 99% of the people who don't use their phone while driving wouldn't have used the phone while driving before the law came in.

Well if you have movement then you'll have crashes. Simple as that really.

It does but you want to limit how much s*** happens

Very easily said when it happens to an unknown stranger, When it happens to you or your family it's different.

You're right because statistics mean nothing to the individual which is why parents of dead children for instance should be kept as far away from the law making process as possible.

Laws brought in as a quick reaction to a single tragedy are bad laws.

The whole reason the speed limits were introduced is because of the people who oppose them.

In an ideal world people would drive at a speed that is suitable to the conditions but, Unfortunately there are people who think that driving at 80MPH in heavy fog 4 metres away from the back of the car infront is OK.

Any truth in the rumour - DirtyDieselDogg

re the 2 posts above, I agree with Jamie, disagree with the second.

Regardless of the Laws in force, these people will still be STUPID.

And DRIVE stupid/stupid fast/stuipd drunk, but mostly just STUPID.

Ah nivver thought like!

That is for the Police to deal with.

When in Germany in 2011, in the late summer, despite the new car and unlimited Autobahns, I did not generally exceed 130kmh, unless exceptionally, simply because I did not feel happy driving faster, despite having considerable distances to cover.

No doubt I would have grown accustomed over more exposure, but still?

cheers

M

The whole reason the speed limits were introduced is because of the people who oppose them.

A nonsensical remark. They were introduced on motorways in response to reports of people doing very high speeds.

In an ideal world people would drive at a speed that is suitable to the conditions

Yes.

but, Unfortunately there are people who think that driving at 80MPH in heavy fog 4 metres away from the back of the car infront is OK.

Yes. and how do speed cameras help? The truth is that speed cameras will not catch someone if a) the fog is too thick for them to work, b) the fog is not near a speed camera and c) the cars are obeying the speed limit despite that being a suicidal speed in fog.

but, Unfortunately there are people who think that driving at 80MPH in heavy fog 4 metres away from the back of the car infront is OK.

Yes. and how do speed cameras help? The truth is that speed cameras will not catch someone if a) the fog is too thick for them to work, b) the fog is not near a speed camera and c) the cars are obeying the speed limit despite that being a suicidal speed in fog.

They help as a lot of people will drive slower when they know cameras are about.

They help as a lot of people will drive slower when they know cameras are about.

But you ignored the points I made. Cameras are too blunt, unless you reduce speed limits right down and enforce them. Then they will,work. We won't get anywhere, the economy will collapse, but a few more of us wil be alive. I see far too many people slow at cameras, then drive like nutters elsewhere.

But you ignored the points I made. Cameras are too blunt, unless you reduce speed limits right down and enforce them. Then they will,work. We won't get anywhere, the economy will collapse, but a few more of us wil be alive. I see far too many people slow at cameras, then drive like nutters elsewhere.

A camera will always struggle in the fog to be effective. Even a police officer will find in difficult in those conditions.

Some people do slow down and then speed up but I find more people simply drive more to the speed limits which is what they speed cameras are designed to do.

You're right because statistics mean nothing to the individual which is why parents of dead children for instance should be kept as far away from the law making process as possible.

Laws brought in as a quick reaction to a single tragedy are bad laws.

I never said that families of victims should have any input to making new laws.

Who mentioned 'single tragedy'? not me! Road deaths have increased by 3% bringing the figure to 24,580 killed or seriously injured in the year ending June 2014.

There were 193,290 road casualties reported for the last year. (again ending in June 2014)

I would hardly call any rules or restrictions based on these figures (or the figures of previous years) to be a knee jerk reaction.

Any truth in the rumour - skidpan

re the 2 posts above, disagree with the second.

So you disagree with:

In an ideal world people would drive at a speed that is suitable to the conditions but, Unfortunately there are people who think that driving at 80MPH in heavy fog 4 metres away from the back of the car infront is OK

Beggars belief what some drivers are thinking.

Any truth in the rumour - DirtyDieselDogg

Ah! good point there!

I could not read the second post and was "remembering" the first sentance.

And attempting to explain that introducing Laws to prevent abherrent behaviors does not make sense.

"They" will ignore them.

i.e.

Lowering the drink drive limit to catch those who choose to drive "stupid" drunk.

What is the connection?

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 03/03/2015 at 14:15

Any truth in the rumour - Bromptonaut

i.e.

Lowering the drink drive limit to catch those who choose to drive "stupid" drunk.

What is the connection?

The drink drive limit is proposed to be reduced (and has been in Scotland) because there is ample evidence of significant impairment well below the current limit.

Who mentioned 'single tragedy'? not me! Road deaths have increased by 3% bringing the figure to 24,580 killed or seriously injured in the year ending June 2014.

There were 193,290 road casualties reported for the last year. (again ending in June 2014

Actual fatalities in UK in 2013 were 1,713. In 2000 fatalities were 3,409.

(Full details from DofT website, for those interested)

The year-on-year reductions may well be due to the population of cars being newer, more of them with ESP/airbags/better crashworthiness in general.

Naturally, some will claim it is due to lowered limits and more cameras (not me!)