road signs using neuro-linguistic programming - bananastand
The multi-million pound system of illuminated road signs (imagine the miles and miles of underground cabling) that use psychology, or NLP, to alter your behaviour. The ones near me keep saying "don't be a bore, don't hog the middle lane". Ho ho, very clever. Another is, "Drink and drugs - a lethal cocktail". Someone is actually paid to come up with these sayings.

But lately they have been saying stuff like, "feeling unwell? See your GP or pharmacist". You can see where this is heading. They won't stop at motoring "issues". At some point they might say "The EU is your friend" or "forget borders, the world is your neighbour". As you can tell, they make me even more paranoid. At least we don't yet have loudspeakers playing martial music. We do have hidden listening devices round the place though!

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the theories behind these hugely expensive road signs?
road signs using neuro-linguistic programming - Hamsafar

Common Purpose at work. There will be CP infiltrators within the Highways Agency - that's for sure.

Edited by Hamsafar on 28/01/2015 at 11:45

Nice one Ham, I should have said I did suspect the hand of Common Purpose in this.

road signs using neuro-linguistic programming - alan1302
Anyway, does anyone know anything about the theories behind these hugely expensive road signs?

They are there to inform you about traffic congestion/roadworks when they are bad. Rather than leaving them sit idel they put other messages on them.

No conspiracy involved!

road signs using neuro-linguistic programming - ExA35Owner

It helps if they get the spelling right. Onoe of the standard ones is, "Think bike," which seems sensible; but one I saw a year or two back read, "THIN BIKE." Presumably these bikes are the ones that find it easiest to weave through queues of cars?

road signs using neuro-linguistic programming - madf

They are there of course to warn you that war has been declared and you have 5 minutes to exit the motorway before it is engulfed in a nuclear cloud..

Or maybe to tell you little green men have landed.

my home town is jammed with them and they display their inane messages 99.5% of the time.

www.facebook.com/sthelens.commonpurpose/photos/a.3...r

my home town is jammed with them and they display their inane messages 99.5% of the time.

www.facebook.com/sthelens.commonpurpose/photos/a.3...r

Does it really matter?

road signs using neuro-linguistic programming - Bromptonaut

The theory behind them is simple. Their primary purpose is to display road traffic information. When they're not needed for that they can display public information messages. Simples!!.

I assume the reference to NLP refers to the work of the so called 'nudge unit' set up in the Cabinet Office. It's aim, as the name suggests, is to encourage the public to behave in a socially responsible fashion by 'nudges' rather than the previous fashion of ever more intrusive rules.

It now operates as a stand alone social purpose company - the coalition's attempt to bring the John Lewis culture to former Civil Service roles.

www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/

Unless you're a Common Purpose conspiracy theorist it's difficult to see what's wrong with it.

Unless you're a Common Purpose conspiracy theorist it's difficult to see what's wrong with it.

I think bananastand maybeone of those!

I am actually! Ha ha.