Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - coljon

Are you aware of fuel filter issues in cold weather? My car (12 reg/25,000 miles) lost power and then came to an abrupt stop when driving in cold weather conditions (2 degrees C).

The dealership advised that the fuel filter had clogged due to the diesel fuel used. Since I had filled up with Esso diesel and the garage advised that there had been no reported problems I was wondering if you were aware of any other reported concerns.

Having replaced the filter - outside of the vehicle warranty - at a cost of almost £100, I was additionally wondering was this a design fault and should be paid for by the company.

Obviously, if the vehicle had stopped in traffic this could have led to a serious accident.

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - skidpan

Over the past few winters there has been several reported instances of this happening with the ix35 and its mechanically identical sister the Kia Sportage.

It has only affected the 1.7 diesel and most of the occurences have been in geographical areas where supplies are delivered from one depot. Initially Kia blamed supermarket fuel but had to backtrack on that since owners using branded fuels were also suffering the same issue.

I hav recently read that Kia have now introduced modified parts (fuel filter and housing) which are being fitted to new production but will only be fitted to older cars that continue to be affected, no mass recall.

Suggest you speak to your Hyundai dealer.

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - Jollyjo

Hi there , sorry to sound stupid on this but to speak to Hyundai dealer is that just a local Hyundai garage I call in regards to this as my car had had the same issue for the 2nd year in cold weather ??

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - rjseat

Hi - we've had a similar issue - 2013 IX35 1.7Crdi... heres the outcome - worth a read! Car was de-rating (not going above 3000rpm) and low on power. On 2 occasions it 'cut out' in essence due to lack of fuel.

Looking up on the web I found the likely culprit was a blocked (waxed) fuel filter.... so in cold weather it struggle to get enough fuel. If the engine senses this from start it de-rates to protect the fuel pump from overload etc.

We called our dealer and got the usual story about winter fuels, using supermarkets etc... but I sent a "more formal" email stating I will bring the car in for their investigation.

At the dealer I explained the following...
1) I fill up with Ultra Low Sulphur diesel as per the Manual....
2) UK fuel is legislated - they cannot blame supermarkets
3) My warranty manual states that the Fuel Filter is warranted upto 1st Service / change...
4) That since Hyundai moved to a 20000 mile / 2year service interval (my car was on 30k miles) then the Filter has not been changed and is therefore covered by the warranty statement.

This is the essence of the issue - Hyundai Central have doubled the service period of the vehicle but the component (the Fuel Filter) is not upto the task / spec... interestingly I have been told that a "new filter design" is now fitted... ie an extended / more appropriate life filter.

The dealer called me and told me that (and I disagree still) that the part was not covered by warranty by will be replaced under "goodwill" at no charge...

For background - I work in Diesel Engine development and this issue is down to design... UK fuel quality is legislated... use of 'supermarket' fuel etc is unlikely to contribute to this - since the majority move to "winter fuel" during November to March / April....

Push for Hyundai to complete the wor. - at least under 'goodwill' - you can argue it should be under warranty but they would not accept this - since accepting this accepts they have a design issue... triggering recalls etc... stand firm and don't pay!!!

The extended service intervals have highlighted a weakness.... all cars have a weakness... on the 1.7 this is it!
Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - skidpan

This is a quote from the SMMT that Kia themselves posted regarding the same problem with the Sportage.

“We are aware of a small number of reports of blocked diesel filters in very localised areas, and of the potential for this issue to arise in certain conditions and circumstances. Vehicles of all makes, models and ages can be affected.

“SMMT continues to work with government and the fuel industry to identify the root cause of the problem.

“Our advice to motorists affected by this issue is to keep their latest fuel receipt and report the problem to the fuel retailer, noting the date and time of the incident. We also recommend booking affected vehicles in with the local dealer to make sure the issue is fully resolved.”

It points the the fact its affecting more than Kia/Hyundai but only in small parts of the country.

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - Kelticknight

I just same issue with Hyundai ix35 2010 2 litre

Temperature was 7c .got fuel from Tesco so a branded service station . I get fuel filter changed

I ring Hyundai but I know I get same excuse as you .

It's my first Hyundai and be my last after this.

Cheers

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - RobJP

I just same issue with Hyundai ix35 2010 2 litre

Temperature was 7c .got fuel from Tesco so a branded service station . I get fuel filter changed

I ring Hyundai but I know I get same excuse as you .

It's my first Hyundai and be my last after this.

Cheers

Seriously, you're complaining about having to change the fuel filter (a service part that needs occasional replacement) on an 8 year old car, and it'll stop you from ever buying that brand of car again ?

I think a small dose of realism is needed here.

No need for smart mouth comment !!!.

We were coming home from long 4 hour drive. My brother has 2013 1.7 version and his died on motorway few weeks ago and he never found out what caused it.

My ix35 was serviced 2 months ago.only has 3.5k miles done since last service

That's why I was surprised !!!!!

Mechanic said wasn't fuel filter after all. Turns out redex diesel treatment isn't liked on my ix35 and yes. One shot per thankful.

Mechanic said some diesels don't like redex diesel treatment

Changed the fuel filter as precaution but mechanic don't use redex

He said had same problem with kia shortage diesel before.same issue.

Mechanic said there's a lot of additives in diesel fuel and some oil also so some diesel fuel system don't like redex. I had no power.wouldnt go above 3000 rpm

When add extra diesel filled to top .it worked ok

Mechanic changed fuel filter to be on safe side.

Mechanic said dipetane fuel additive is way better

Edited by Kelticknight on 16/01/2018 at 19:08

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - FiestaOwner

Hi Kelticknight

Not sure why you're using a fuel treatment at all! I've been driving turbo diesels (works vans) for the past 23 years. None of them have ever had any fuel treatment additives and they normally run to around 100,000 miles before they are replaced. Always fill up with regular diesel too. Never had any engine or fuel system or emmisions issues.

I've seen Honest John recommend using premium fuels. Might be better to try that and forget about the fuel treatment. But I have always used regular fuel in my cars and works vehicles without any issues.

Possible the fuel filter wasn't changed at the last service. My Ford dealer only changes the Transit filter if there is a message on the dash display saying it's got a problem. The Fuel filter isn't replaced automatically at any service unless the vehicle flags it up as a problem!

You possible could be right as i bought the ix35 from dealer and dealer told me all filters were changed . Maybe the redex dislodged something.

The redex came at came ar discounted price when I order few parts online from parts shop.

I was coming home from long trip and herself was concerned when ix35 started looking Power. I managed to get home . I booked with mechanic for next day but before I gave to him I topped up tank with €30 worth of dirsel and straight away the ix35 worked normal .

I still gave to mechanic .everything tested ok . Nothing showed in diagnostics

Changed fuel filter anyways so not to take any chances.

I guess my brother before me having total loss of power on motorway weeks before in his 2013 reg ix35 made we wonder what's going on.

Hopefully won't happen again

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - Gs87

Hey sorry to jump in on this post I was hoping to find some answers on this. I drive a Hyundai ix35 2012 with about 60000 miles on the car. Recently the car has been cutting out, as you are coming to a stop the engine just cuts off and you need to turn the ignition back on. A few days ago I was driving and was in 5th gear doing about 40 mph. The car suddenly was making me stop, the revs and speed was dropping whilst my foot on the accelerator was to the floor, ended up dropping down the gears and coming to a stop on a very busy road. Had to turn ignition off and on and I drove on with no more issues.

Any ideas what this could be I do see people saying a fuel filter but right now we aren't in a position where we have a lot of money but really need to get to the bottom of it, it's really not safe especially with a 20 month old child in the car majority of the times

Thanks

Get mechanic to change fuel filter I would suggest.

Hyundai ix35 - Hyundai ix35 fuel filter issues in cold weather - dieselnut

I don't know what fuel pump arrangement Hyundai use, but would expect to find at least one electric pump between the tank & high pressure pump on the engine.

My Passat has an in-tank pump & an auxillary pump between the fuel filter & high pressure pump.

If either of those failed or were intermittent I would expect symptoms similar to yours.

So would suggest you check electric pump/s if you have any further problems.

After taking to Hyundai. Was told the dpf filter gave error and Hyundai think when I used redex diesel treatment. It dislodged soot which blocked the dpf filter and my ix35 went into limp mode. When I added extra diesel it helped clear it

I have changed fuel filter and did oil chsnge as it was recommended.

I getting for degeneration done Monday

Hoping that fix it. If not .Will do full dpf cleaning or replace for filter but I'm told the dpf regenstion should do it as I didn't get any light in dash