Parallel parking - hillman

I was taught to parallel park when I was a youth and have got steadily worse. The best parallel parking I ever saw was a woman parking a Rolls Royce in Knutsford. She was suberb !

But, this guy takes the biscuit.

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/1123981...l

Parallel parking - scot22

I usually require about a mile to manoeuvre a parallel park. Thanks for this post - took my breath away - had to rewatch several times. Think I've got the idea but don't think I'll try the strategy.

Parallel parking - Bolt

Its a dying art now,seems to take longer to wait for someone to park than to find a space these days

Parallel parking - dan86

I dint understand the difficulty people have with parking I find it no harder than going forwards. It should be a big part of the driving test so that it weeds out all the people that take two spaces etc in car parks.

Parallel parking - Bolt

all the people that take two spaces etc in car parks.

Like land rovers-land cruisers X5`s and the like, they cant see the white lines, too high up so I`ve been told

Parallel parking - Ethan Edwards

Like land rovers-land cruisers X5`s and the like, they cant see the white lines, too high up so I`ve been told

Our Qashqai is pretty high up too (a la X5) but we have no difficulty whatsoever seeing the lines or using a single space even without the onboard aids. Don't tar all SUV drivers with the sins of the few. Thats kinda like the car equivalent of 'racism'.

In any event our QQ has the four camera system that on one display gives you whats best described as 'Helicopter view' of your surroundings and you can select other views on the screen to see clearly where the white lines are. In fact I don't like the Nissan system much, as compared to the Toyota system in my Yaris HSD since it's resolution is a bit grainy. But the Toyota only has the one camera. Nice to have these things but for me they are not a necessity.

Parallel parking - twitcherman

My personal bugbear - those who faff around reversing INTO supermarket parking spaces. Just... why? If the person in the next row parks close, you can't get to the boot to put your shopping in (I'm usually the person in the next row who's parked 3 inches away).

Parallel parking - Doc

My personal bugbear - those who faff around reversing INTO supermarket parking spaces. Just... why?

It's a lot easier to manoeuvre coming out of the space (you can't steer properly in reverse until you are almost out) and it is safer to pull out forwards into traffic/ pedestrians.

Parallel parking - mss1tw

My personal bugbear - those who faff around reversing INTO supermarket parking spaces. Just... why?

It's a lot easier to manoeuvre coming out of the space (you can't steer properly in reverse until you are almost out) and it is safer to pull out forwards into traffic/ pedestrians.

Preicsely. And those who can actually drive properly don't 'faff'. I'm quicker reversing, I can see the lines in the mirrors. Slap bang in the middle, first go.

Parallel parking - piggy

Preicsely. And those who can actually drive properly don't 'faff'. I'm quicker reversing, I can see the lines in the mirrors. Slap bang in the middle, first go.

My method is to angle one of the mirrors (mostly driver`s side) down slightly so one of the lines is visible. If you are straight one side,the other side has to be correct. Yes, it can sometimes be difficult to get a trolley between the cars,but it`s well worth it for the clear view on the way out. How many times do you see some idiot pedestrian walk close to a car reversing out even though the reversing light is on and the engine is obviously running?!!

Parallel parking - twitcherman

Like to see him get it out again...

Parallel parking - scot22

Yes. That would be interesting : if you parked in the space show you can get out.. Is it just the same in reverse sequence ?

Parallel parking - Bolt

Like to see him get it out again...

So would I, but it aint going to happen without moving another car 3" is too tight for anyone

Parallel parking - gordonbennet

To get out...FWD only.

Parking brake on solid, steering to the end stop in the direction you want to shift, max revs drop clutch spin the wheels and she'll pull sideways like a fork truck...how do you think we got the renters out of mega tight spaces.

Course if you have a proper car with RWD it'll have a decent turning circle so none of the above faff necessary..:-)

Parallel parking - Bolt

To get out...FWD only.

Parking brake on solid, steering to the end stop in the direction you want to shift, max revs drop clutch spin the wheels and she'll pull sideways like a fork truck...how do you think we got the renters out of mega tight spaces.

Course if you have a proper car with RWD it'll have a decent turning circle so none of the above faff necessary..:-)

I often drive like that in blizzards- deep snow but never tried that in a parking space

TOO risky ;-)

Parallel parking - hillman

I wonder where he practiced, and how many failed attempts.

Parallel parking - brum

Yes, he's obviously a rich kid with at least 3 crumpled cars to practice on...

In any case , the video is not parallel parking, its a circus stunt that has no bearing on real life. I'd like to see him move out of that space (without the other cars being moved) otherwise it a pointless stunt.

Parking would be easier and more freely available if people didnt deliberately take up one and three quarter parking spaces, those idiots should be hit with a fine.

Parallel parking - alan1302

Yes, he's obviously a rich kid with at least 3 crumpled cars to practice on...

In any case , the video is not parallel parking, its a circus stunt that has no bearing on real life. I'd like to see him move out of that space (without the other cars being moved) otherwise it a pointless stunt.

Someone has their grumpy head on today! Yes, it's a stunt and not real parking but it's impressive never the less.
Parallel parking - Wackyracer

The only name that I remember when it comes to precision parking is Russ Swift who was also the driver of the stunt driving in this advert www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTx0ZTOaIc

Which makes me think BL should have been taken to task over false advertizing, We had a 1.6 Montego and it was a very poor performer.

Parallel parking - Trilogy

The way not to do it. www.msn.com/en-gb/video/viral/parallel-park-attemp...p