New VED rules & part-time trading - mb69rolls

I can't sem to find an answer to this..

As a part time trader, I will now need to register vehicles in my name, presumably using the V5C/2 details, in order to tax them, when I need to keep them on the road. If I sell that car quickly, would the new owner be able to use the same V5C/2 to re-register & tax it in his name, or do I need to wait for new documents to arrive before selling it?

Before the change, you could hang on to the documents, knowing that the new owner would have plenty of time for his new V5/C to arrive before he had any need to tax it again, but now the customer needs to tax it straight away.

Does the DVLA keep it flagged as "in the trade" even though it is registered to me, or does every dealer in my position add another owner to the vehicle?

Edited by mb69rolls on 30/09/2014 at 15:22

New VED rules & part-time trading - pd

The DVLA's official answer is that you should either register it in your name if you are using it for any private use or use trade plates if moving it for trade purposes.

As I understand it, you will only be able to use the V5C/2 once and, if you tax it using this and it is transferred into a new name within 2 months it will not cancel the tax. How it will work in practice is not 100% known.

New VED rules & part-time trading - mb69rolls

Thanks for the reply/

If that's true, they could have saved a lot of worry by mking it clearer.

There are still many cars advertised for sale with tax. I wonder how many people will be buying cars over the next few weeks unaware that they are driving untaxed?

New VED rules & part-time trading - dan86

I've been looking for something to replace my current car and as said above most cars are advertised with tax but as I've come to learn if I buy a car I will need to tax it befor I can drive it home. This is just a way of getting more money put of people as they only refund full months tax so they get to keep a small amount of the tax from majority of car tjat are sold second hand .