mercades sprinter - Anti-freeze change- DEF button? - submarine

Hello! I wish to renew the anti-freeze in my 2001 sprinter before winter. The manual says: if it has an automatic climatisation system fitted......' (presume this means air-con) press the DEF button. As my vehicle does have air-con i presume it would have a DEF button, but cant find anyone who knows what this button looks like (or what it's for)- can anyone help please? Much appreciated, thanks

Edited by submarine on 21/09/2014 at 22:15

mercades sprinter - Anti-freeze change- DEF button? - mss1tw

DEF as windscreen DEFrost?

mercades sprinter - Anti-freeze change- DEF button? - elekie&a/c doctor

DEF button is defrost /demist.Your van is not fitted auto climate system just normal a/c ,so does not have auto def function.When renewing the coolant antifreeze mix just make sure the heating control is set to max. heat temperature so that the heater can be bled of air.

mercades sprinter - Anti-freeze change- DEF button? - Cyd

just make sure the heating control is set to max. heat temperature so that the heater can be bled of air.

Is this really necessary anymore?

On many cars air temperature is no longer controlled by restricting the water flow through the matrix, as was usual many years ago.

Nowadays, many cars have full flow through the matrix at all times and temperature control is achieved through use of flaps to direct airflow either through the matrix or around it (or somewhere in between).

It's probably still sensible to do though if there's any uncertainty over which method a particular vehicle employs.

mercades sprinter - Anti-freeze change- DEF button? - elekie&a/c doctor

It is surprising the number of cars that used some form of control valve in the water supply for the hot/cold cycle.Very common on Bmw and MB up to around 2005.There are also many japanese cars with climate control that have an air blend flap system as well as a cable operated hot water shut off valve.So always a good idea to set heating to max when bleeding the cooling system.