Any - diesel exhaust regeneration - dan86

At work we recently took delivery of four out of twenty seven new euro 6 trucks. As well as the Adblue system they now have a exhaust catalyst regeneration system (dpf). Whilst driving one yesterday it started regeneratein and this is the first time I have had this as they have only covers 1500 miles and I drive different lorries all the time.

I knew it was regenerating as the light came up but I was entering the waste tipping site at the time so I switched the system off whilst tipping them turnd it back on again once I left the site. We have be told to do this by the people who came from mercedes-benzene uk who gave us some trying about the system. They say that it reaches temperatures of 750°c.

I don't drive diesel cars as I have no need to plus I prefer petrol cars. Do modern dpf equipped cars have such a function where u can switch off the regeneration process if in a unsuitable environment and do they have warning lights to say that it is happening so you could avoid aborting a regeneration unintentionally and like the system our trucks have do it let u know if the regeneration is needed buy a traffic light system of green means it's regenerating yellow it's needed but has been switched off and red means the catalyst needs replacing?

Sorry if it seems a long winded post.

Any - diesel exhaust regeneration - Wackyracer

Cars generally only do the regen if the engine is at full working temperature and the road speed/ engine speed is above a determined value. If you stop or slow down it will abort the regen process until the next time the criteria is met again.

Any - diesel exhaust regeneration - Bromptonaut

We've done 20k miles in just over a year in a dpf equipped Berlingo (1.6/115PS). Obviously, a lot of that has been on M/way or other decently fast road.

Never seen any evidence of it regenerating in terms of lights etc. but I assume it's working OK.

Any - diesel exhaust regeneration - craig-pd130

The majority of DPF-equipped diesel cars have no warning lights or indicators that a regeneration is actually happening. They usually only give a warning if the DPF canister is getting full, and the car needs to be driven on an open road for 15/20 minutes to complete a regeneration.

Personally, I would welcome a system like that in your trucks which tells you when a regeneration is happening, so if necessary I could continue driving for another few minutes to complete a regeneration that's in progress.

As I write this I am currently sitting in one of the new trucks broken down because of this exhaust regeneration system has decided it doesn't want to work and put me in to reduced power mode.

Just waitng for a technician to ring me back as they still haven't got to grips fully with this system. Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come with these new truck because our old mercedes truck were utterly dependable.

Any - diesel exhaust regeneration - oldroverboy.

Welcome to the modern era. At least you can remove the dpf to have it regenerated...

Any - diesel exhaust regeneration - craig-pd130

As I write this I am currently sitting in one of the new trucks broken down because of this exhaust regeneration system has decided it doesn't want to work and put me in to reduced power mode.

Just waitng for a technician to ring me back as they still haven't got to grips fully with this system. Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come with these new truck because our old mercedes truck were utterly dependable.

Oops :(

My last two cars (and my current one) have all been turbodiesels with DPFs (Mondeo and two Volvos).

They've been mostly problem-free, however my previous Volvo had a DPF pressure sensor fail after 2.5 years and about 30,000 miles, but the car still drove fine and wasn't in limp mode. The problem there was it took the Volvo main dealer 3 attempts to trace and fix the problem ....

I don't know what the fault was will find out tomorrow if any one knows as I had a new vehicle Brough put to me while my supervisor had to wait for the mercedes technician. I think it was a sensor as it has only done 1400 miles.

It turns out it was dirt that had got in to the exhaust filtration system. The mercedes technician blew it out with a airline and all was good again. So much for advances in technology.