nissan leaf - 7 day test drive - robert3356

I am greatly interested in buying an electric car, when I saw the offer of 7 days with a leaf I jumped at it, emails, phone calls, confirmations of id.....yesterday I went to collect it.

One hour later I was told the car had not been returned...we will keep you posted....24 hours later still no news....

I wasted an entire morning.....BUT I now know I will not be buying a Nissan !

nissan leaf - 7 day test drive - daveyjp
Sounds like our local VW dealer which has two new Golf SVs, but both are used as courtesy cars so actually seeing one is almost impossible.

Considering this is a new car you would think one would be in the showroom, rather than 4 different normal Golfs and 3 Beetles!
nissan leaf - 7 day test drive - Firmbutfair

Oh dear robert3356 - what a pity. It does rather sound as if the previous user had become stranded with a flat battery - and it was probably not all his or her fault either Because - it really is not good enough for both Nissan and Renault to offer 'running cost - price comparison calculators' that take the very gentle driving profile of the official European Driving Cycle as the basis (for the cost comparison with petrol cars for example). These gentle driving tests record around 130 miles range for both the Nissan Leaf and for the slightly smallerand lighter Renault ZOE. However, in the published literature, if used for more normal, brisk urban driving, a fully charged LEAF or ZOE will 'run out of charge' well before the 100 mile mark and potentially several miles before then if the fan and airconditioning are switched on! Furthermore, even using a roadside 7.2 KWH 'rapid charge' point for up to 3 hours, whilst away from home, will only give a maximum of 80% charge at the best, which will yield a reduction in range of at least 20% down to a realistic 'return to home' range of less than 80 miles. It is a law of physics that a rechargeable battery cannot be forced to accept a full charge in a hurry. I.E. it cannot be charged at a rate exceeding about one third of its its capacity per hour. The manufacturers state that in order to 'fully charge' the 24KWH Battery, it will need to be charged for 8 to 9 hours from a typical 3.6 KWh/16 amp/240 volts AC charge point. As they say on STAR TREK - you cannot change the laws of physics ! In reality, it takes about 13 to 15 hours to fully charge the battery at the 'one tenth of its capacity' per hour charge rate, so even the 16 amp home charge point for 8 to 9 hours is 'pushing' it a bit - and a more leisurely 13 to 15 hour charge at say just a steady 12 to 13 amps (ideally in a cool overnight driveway) would give a more complete charge of the 24KWH battery - as this rating is probably just a 'nominal' figure based on the recommended (and fairly practical) overnight charge of 7 hours at 'Economy 7 rates' plus an extra hour or two at the daytime Economy 7 tarriff.

Never the less 'robert 3356' do not let this experience put you off electric cars - they can be very useful for some purposes and need to be tried before dismissing them out of hand.

Edited by Firmbutfair on 18/09/2014 at 22:34

nissan leaf - 7 day test drive - Rats

I had the misfortune of having to stop at Sedgemoor services on the M5 last week, what an utter dump.........How does it relate to this thread???

We were travelling with a blue badge holder when we found that in Welcome Break's wisdom that they have converted 3 or 4 disabled bays (the ones nearest to the entrance!!) into electric vehicle charging bays, how can they possibly require 3 or 4 electric vehicle charging bays and even if they are used, which is probably for such a small percentage of the time, why the hell do they need to be right at the entrance denying disabled people to park there. Once inside there was only one disabled toilet that was shared as a baby change, an absolute disgrace........Buck your ideas up WB!!!!!!

nissan leaf - 7 day test drive - barney100

So you pull in at the service station to charge up your Leaf. 8 hours to achieve this they say, so what do you do for 8 hours? I know, try to persuade the clampers that not being able to move off isn't your fault an tell them you are sorry to overstayed the allowed time at service stations.

nissan leaf - 7 day test drive - Firmbutfair

So you pull in at the service station to charge up your Leaf. 8 hours to achieve this they say, so what do you do for 8 hours? I know, try to persuade the clampers that not being able to move off isn't your fault an tell them you are sorry to overstayed the allowed time at service stations.

No 'barney100' - luckily Nissan tell you that you can 'top up' your Nissan Leaf battery in just 30 minutes using their 'super fast charge' option and that this will give you up to 80% of your normal 'fully charged overnight' battery capacity and thus enable you to continue on your journey after 'an unhurried coffee and muffin' in the motorway cafe..

Edited by Firmbutfair on 01/10/2014 at 17:27